Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you check on your family background?
Baan Dek Lek 04:48 AM 02-03-2014
Have you ever worried or thought about families that you will accept them to your home daycare? You know families will look for caregivers who have background checks. What about us the providers? We provide care in our homes. Have anyone ever had any problem with clients' family issues? Have anyone checked on their background, if yes, how do you do that?
butterfly 05:20 AM 02-03-2014
I google their name or look on Facebook for them.
mountainside13 05:34 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Baan Dek Lek:
Have you ever worried or thought about families that you will accept them to your home daycare? You know families will look for caregivers who have background checks. What about us the providers? We provide care in our homes. Have anyone ever had any problem with clients' family issues? Have anyone checked on their background, if yes, how do you do that?
I do a background check on every potential family before the interview. Some people have a huge criminal background, usually speeding, parking tickets, child support exc.

I have only told 1 family no due to a background. I use Iowa Courts Online, it is free to use here.
Baan Dek Lek 05:41 AM 02-03-2014
Did you tell them that you would do their background check? What do you need to do the check such as their full names, ssn?
Play Care 05:41 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I do a background check on every potential family before the interview. Some people have a huge criminal background, usually speeding, parking tickets, child support exc.

I have only told 1 family no due to a background. I use Iowa Courts Online, it is free to use here.
That is awesome! I don't know that we have anything like that here...Something to look in to for sure.
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 02-03-2014
I use a standard consent to perform background check form. I printed it off nolo.com. I think it is intended for land lords, but it works just fine.

I give them copies of DH and my own background check so I feel it is a mutual respect issue. I let them know that I also have kids at risk in this arrangement and they tend to understand completely.

The ones who will not consent are not offered the slot. Obviously we will not be a good match because the respect does not go both ways with them. Great "entitlement" filter.

(you also can run them without consent or notice on many websites, get their DOB's from FB)
mountainside13 06:05 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Baan Dek Lek:
Did you tell them that you would do their background check? What do you need to do the check such as their full names, ssn?
For the website I use you just need their first and last name. If it's a common name like smith you would need a birthday. I don't tell them I am doing a background check. In my state we don't need consent. All of it is public record.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 02-03-2014
Other threads about back ground checks.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ckground+check

FWIW~ We have access to check public records here as well, but keep in mind NOT all information is public record.

There have been several cases of things I KNOW to be true that are omitted from some one's public record so just because a public record search/check comes up clean, doesn't mean the person doesn't have anything on their record.

There are LOTS of loopholes as to what is and isn't considered "public record" so please don't put all your trust into ANY search that is public.
CraftyMom 06:51 AM 02-03-2014
I'm wondering the same thing, can we do this? I have a family with two kids here. I got wind if the dad having been in jail. He's in my home everyday and I don't know why he was in jail. Don't I have the right to find out?
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Lauram16:
I'm wondering the same thing, can we do this? I have a family with two kids here. I got wind if the dad having been in jail. He's in my home everyday and I don't know why he was in jail. Don't I have the right to find out?
Try here http://publicrecords.onlinesearches....sachusetts.htm
CraftyMom 07:31 AM 02-03-2014
Thank you!
daycare 07:45 AM 02-03-2014
I had thought about this before, but when I went to look and see the cost involved, I decided against it.

Like BC said, some information is public information, but not all.

I know that criminals come in from all walks of life, but I feel confident that I use my best judgement to pick good families. After all, people do make mistakes and people do grow and learn from them.

To my knowledge, I have never had a family here that has ever done any jail time except one kid who's mothers BF went to jail for a DUI the night of his birthday.

As some of us have also discussed before, because we don't REALLY know these parents, a lot of us choose to not allow the parents full into the daycare and mingle with the other children. I for one do not allow that. I allow parents to come only onto my foyer of my home, for both drop off and pick up.
TwinKristi 10:38 AM 02-03-2014
I usually google, Facebook, etc. people's names prior to interviews. One this week is super common name so no luck there. One DCD isn't involved with his DS and there's as restraining order against him. Luckily he lives a couple hours away and doesn't know me or where I live. He was arrested for domestic issues last year and then arrested again last month for possession of stolen property. Gotta love public records!
Tags:background check, criminal record, criminal records check, providerwatch, references
Reply Up