Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent ... What Do You Think?
Unregistered 05:50 AM 02-27-2014
So every year, right around this time, my kids and all DCKs get sick - except one.

This one DCB literally NEVER gets sick and I am now convinced he must be the host.

I was talking with DCM about the fact that he never is sick and she told me that it must be because he licks the shopping carts at the grocery store and is constantly licking all kinds of things. I thought she was joking and laughed. She stated she was serious, that she allows it and doesn't want me to stop him from licking things.

I stated how unsanitary that is and she said she thinks it's the reason his immune system is so good and he never gets sick.

REALLY?!?!
Blackcat31 06:21 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So every year, right around this time, my kids and all DCKs get sick - except one.

This one DCB literally NEVER gets sick and I am now convinced he must be the host.

I was talking with DCM about the fact that he never is sick and she told me that it must be because he licks the shopping carts at the grocery store and is constantly licking all kinds of things. I thought she was joking and laughed. She stated she was serious, that she allows it and doesn't want me to stop him from licking things.

I stated how unsanitary that is and she said she thinks it's the reason his immune system is so good and he never gets sick.

REALLY?!?!
While I wouldn't necessarily encourage my kids to go around licking things (that IS weird), I absolutely buy her thought process and way of thinking.

When I grew up, we didn't use hand sanitizer, didn't wash our hands every time we changed activities and probably ate our fair share of food dropped onto the ground.

It was simply a way of life. We spent most days outside. I remember taking icicles off the edge of our garage and sucking on them like popsicles...

We (my siblings and I) were RARELY if ever sick. I have been in the child care field now for over 2 decades and I have taken one sick day in all that time.

I think it has a lot to do with my body being given the chance to build up immunities against some of those germs.

I FULLY 100% believe that those kids that are allowed to eat a little bit of "dirt" or germs now and then are much healthier than other kids.

Those germs DCB is picking up from the shopping cart and whatever else he is licking IS helping his body build up immunities. They are doing their job.

I don't think I would automatically assume though that he is the host for whatever other illnesses are going around. Just because someone doesn't actually get sick, doesn't always meant they are the carrier.

Sure, it could be possible but I guess in this line of business I see no point in trying to narrow down where something came from when there are so many variables...kwim?

Plus, you really can't exclude for being a carrier/host... I'd have to make a policy that most of my parents couldn't enter the daycare then because most of mine work either in the public school system or the healthcare field.
mia 07:01 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I wouldn't necessarily encourage my kids to go around licking things (that IS weird), I absolutely buy her thought process and way of thinking.

When I grew up, we didn't use hand sanitizer, didn't wash our hands every time we changed activities and probably ate our fair share of food dropped onto the ground.

It was simply a way of life. We spent most days outside. I remember taking icicles off the edge of our garage and sucking on them like popsicles...

We (my siblings and I) were RARELY if ever sick. I have been in the child care field now for over 2 decades and I have taken one sick day in all that time.

I think it has a lot to do with my body being given the chance to build up immunities against some of those germs.

I FULLY 100% believe that those kids that are allowed to eat a little bit of "dirt" or germs now and then are much healthier than other kids.

Those germs DCB is picking up from the shopping cart and whatever else he is licking IS helping his body build up immunities. They are doing their job.

I don't think I would automatically assume though that he is the host for whatever other illnesses are going around. Just because someone doesn't actually get sick, doesn't always meant they are the carrier.

Sure, it could be possible but I guess in this line of business I see no point in trying to narrow down where something came from when there are so many variables...kwim?

Plus, you really can't exclude for being a carrier/host... I'd have to male a policy that most of my parents couldn't enter the daycare then because most of mine work either in the public school system or the healthcare field.

I agree....
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:14 AM 02-27-2014
Yep. 100% agree with BlackCat. We're turning into pansies with our hand sanitizer, wipey-wipes, and antibacterial everything. Hasn't it been proven in the medical field that hand sanitizers have compromised our immunities?
Leanna 07:16 AM 02-27-2014

REALLY?!?!
Just being honest, but this post really irritated me. Providers on here are constantly complaining about kids being sick and now someone is complaining about a kid NOT being sick. Really? Is there no end to this?
Cradle2crayons 07:23 AM 02-27-2014

Plus, you really can't exclude for being a carrier/host... I'd have to make a policy that most of my parents couldn't enter the daycare then because most of mine work either in the public school system or the healthcare field.
Absolutely. My kids Ent says the same thing. There is common sense not to let kids play in a cat box or toilet and eat... And then there's overkill. That overkill is killing our natural immunities.
SilverSabre25 08:22 AM 02-27-2014

Hear, hear!
Laurel 09:20 AM 02-27-2014
Totally agree with Blackcat also.

Laurel
Play Care 10:10 AM 02-27-2014
Agree with Black Cat.
There was a study not too long ago that said children who grow up on farms, assisting with the work, are healthier than the average child. Less cases of allergies, asthma, illness, etc. They thought it had to do with being exposed early and often to germ, rather than being kept away.

This time of year illness is common - we are stuck inside, breathing stale air. I wouldn't blame any one child. I would make sure to open my windows for a few minutes every day and air out the house.
Unregistered 10:45 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Absolutely. My kids Ent says the same thing. There is common sense not to let kids play in a cat box or toilet and eat... And then there's overkill. That overkill is killing our natural immunities.
This was the point I was trying to make!!!
She should not be encouraging her child to lick shopping carts!
DaycareMom 07:17 AM 03-03-2014
This was the point I was trying to make!!!
She should not be encouraging her child to lick shopping carts!
Ha ha Ha! Yes agreed.
I am not a germaphobe but this classifies under common sense. You don't encourage children to lick shopping carts
Heidi 07:23 AM 03-03-2014

Heidi 07:25 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
Ha ha Ha! Yes agreed.
I am not a germaphobe but this classifies under common sense. You don't encourage children to lick shopping carts
True...although honestly, if they're holding on to them and then putting their fingers in their mouth, they might as well be licking them.

Remember "chicken pox parties?"
renodeb 02:38 PM 03-03-2014
I dont take that post as complaining that one kid is not sick but when the rest are it's very noticeable. It's funny my sister is a real germ freak. My nieces can't make a move without her whipping out the hand sanitizer. When they were little she would wipe down every surface they touched everywhere they went. I' am the total opposite. I never really worried about over sanitizing, and to this day my nieces miss days of school every year and my kids have barely missed any. Ironically she's a family doctor! Maybe a case of knowing to much!
Deb
LeslieG 04:11 PM 03-03-2014
I agree with what everyone is saying, but I also think you can get sick more often based on your nutrition. Sugar lowers your immune system. IMO there is way too much sugar in food today!
taylorw1210 11:14 AM 03-04-2014

countrymom 11:32 AM 03-04-2014
I agree with everyone else. My own kids are rarely sick. As my dh always says "god made dirt, so dirt don't hurt" Now I do suggest that dressing properly and eating the right food does play an important part, but my kids don't do hand sanitizers or anything else that they need to be in a bubble.

Now licking of shopping carts, well common sense is needed there, come on, sometimes you just don't know where someones hands have been.
Tags:burned out, burnout, burnt out, stress
Reply Up