Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM With Shingles
Daycaregranny 07:16 PM 07-14-2014
I'm really not sure how to handle this situation. One of my DCM posted on FB that she has shingles. She has a 5 month old DCB here. I also have a WAY OVER PROTECTIVE new mom of a 4 month old DCB along with 10 other children in my care. So I know that shingles can be contagious to children not vaccinated for chicen pox or children that have not had chicken pox as well as possibly passing shingles to me and my staff that have had chicken pox. So I asked her not to pick up or drop off until they are gone. Is that enough or should I exclude the baby as well? Never had this happen so I am a bit out of sorts with what the right thing to do is.
Butter Biskets 07:36 PM 07-14-2014
I get shingles all the time - usually at times of extreme stress. I am always careful about not spreading it and I am sure this mom is too. I personally wouldn't make a big deal about it, but that is just me. I am also one of those moms who were happy when my kids got chicken pox - from a "vaccinated" child, not from my shingles. Just my opinion though. I wouldn't tell the over-protective mom anything either. I am learning that sharing too much information always seems to cause more trouble than it's worth - especially with the over-protective, controlling moms. Again, that is just my opinion.
midaycare 07:39 PM 07-14-2014
I have had shingles before and I didn't spread it to anyone. I had it on my right side and it was easy to cover up (although painful to cover up!)
Lucy 07:41 PM 07-14-2014
I think it's enough to just ask her not to deliver and pick up until her spots are gone. You don't need to tell ANYONE else ANYTHING. It's medical privacy. Even if they ask. Just state you're "not at liberty to discuss anything, but rest assured that all precautions have been taken."
TwinKristi 07:51 PM 07-14-2014
Unless she passes it to baby (which IS possible! I know someone who did!) you're fine having her excluded from p/u & d/o. BUT I would watch the baby for a fever a couple times a day. If he shows signs of illness exclude until you can rule out chicken pox.
itlw8 08:44 PM 07-14-2014
by the way you and your staff will not get shingles from her. If you had chicken pox as a child you already have it in your body and can get shingles at anytime. from yourself not her.
Lucy 09:04 PM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by :
"by the way you and your staff will not get shingles from her. If you had chicken pox as a child you already have it in your body and can get shingles at anytime. from yourself not her."

She's worried about KIDS getting Chicken Pox from the Shingles lady. It can happen.
Rachel 09:57 PM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I think it's enough to just ask her not to deliver and pick up until her spots are gone. You don't need to tell ANYONE else ANYTHING. It's medical privacy. Even if they ask. Just state you're "not at liberty to discuss anything, but rest assured that all precautions have been taken."
Exactly. You have no right to discuss anyone's medical history with anyone else. Asking her not to drop off or pick up is enough. There is no quarantine for chicken pox or shingles so I would not exclude the child.
TwinKristi 10:41 PM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
Exactly. You have no right to discuss anyone's medical history with anyone else. Asking her not to drop off or pick up is enough. There is no quarantine for chicken pox or shingles so I would not exclude the child.
You would exclude for chicken pox if the DCB had it and you would want to post a notice of an outbreak if you have infants especially who haven't been vaccinated.
SquirrellyMama 06:58 AM 07-15-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
She's worried about KIDS getting Chicken Pox from the Shingles lady. It can happen.
The OP also said she was afraid of DCM passing on shingles to her and others who have already had chicken pox.

Kelly
Daycaregranny 07:54 PM 07-15-2014
Thanks for all the responses. I think this one is under control. This year has been crazy with one thing after another as far as illnesses and such. Hopefully DCM will keep her shingles to herself and no chicken pox! I guess time will tell.
Reply Up