Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Pay Rate....Math Help
daycare 01:20 PM 10-27-2014
SO this is my first time ever doing SA with my preschool kids.

So far having this one that has been with me for a very long time is working out great.

the child is normally only here after school for a few hours, about 3.5 hours each day. so I charge a half day rate.

when the school is out for holidays or minimum days and the child attends I charge a full dayrate.

the week that school is out for Thanksgiving I have two days of paid closed holiday on the 27-28.......The child will be here that full week full days, so what do I charge them for the holiday rate? the full day fee or the half day fee???

thanks for your help in advance.
Cradle2crayons 01:23 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
SO this is my first time ever doing SA with my preschool kids.

So far having this one that has been with me for a very long time is working out great.

the child is normally only here after school for a few hours, about 3.5 hours each day. so I charge a half day rate.

when the school is out for holidays or minimum days and the child attends I charge a full dayrate.

the week that school is out for Thanksgiving I have two days of paid closed holiday on the 27-28.......The child will be here that full week full days, so what do I charge them for the holiday rate? the full day fee or the half day fee???

thanks for your help in advance.
If 27-28 is paid then pretend he'll be there all five days... I'd give them full day rate.. If you want, give them full day for 3 days. Up to you.
daycare 01:26 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If 27-28 is paid then pretend he'll be there all five days... I'd give them full day rate.. If you want, give them full day for 3 days. Up to you.
thats what I am trying to decide......would that suck if I was to up the rate for those two days that we are closed? I now realize that I did not specify what the charge would be for paid closed holidays.......
Cradle2crayons 01:28 PM 10-27-2014
thats what I am trying to decide......would that suck if I was to up the rate for those two days that we are closed? I now realize that I did not specify what the charge would be for paid closed holidays.......
Well if you were open the child would be there right? Then I'd say paid means paid. Full week rate. However, I'm the type that have been known to give unexpected and appreciated surprises sometimes.
Hazel 02:05 PM 10-27-2014
I only take school aged kids as a favor to the parents, not the norm for me, so How I charge is probably much different. Here's what I do:
Before school (up to 2.5 hours) $5
After school (up to 2.5 hours ) $5
1/2 day (early dismissal from school, usually noon) $15
Full day (school is closed) $25
This is for all kids kindergarten and up.
I don't charge if they aren't here. I just keep track and give them a bill at the end of the month for them to pay. I do NOT provide meals for SA kids like I do for my DCK.
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Well if you were open the child would be there right? Then I'd say paid means paid. Full week rate. However, I'm the type that have been known to give unexpected and appreciated surprises sometimes.
Since the days she is closed are actual holidays, I am going to venture that no, the child would not be there and would be home celebrating Thanksgiving with family if she were open. LOL!

Personally, I do not charge drop in (or SA) kids for holidays.

In my opinion, I think it would be "pushing it". At least in my area.
AuntTami 02:26 PM 10-27-2014
Never mind... I didn't realize the days in question were ACTUAL holidays instead of just part of the holiday week.
daycare 02:34 PM 10-27-2014
I think to be fair I will charge for one full day and 1/2 the other day. so for the holiday pay rate, it will be 75 for both days instead of 100

I charge $50.00 for SA full day
Unregistered 03:15 PM 10-27-2014
I charge SA a base rate of $50/week - every week (it's after school only.) So SA pay holidays at their usual rate.
Early release (here about 2.5 hours earlier than usual) is $15 added to the base rate; full day is $25 extra added to base rate. The additions are only if they attend.
midaycare 03:15 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since the days she is closed are actual holidays, I am going to venture that no, the child would not be there and would be home celebrating Thanksgiving with family if she were open. LOL!

Personally, I do not charge drop in (or SA) kids for holidays.

In my opinion, I think it would be "pushing it". At least in my area.

Unregistered 09:38 AM 10-28-2014
What's the 'actual holiday' on the 28th?
Rachel 10:41 AM 10-28-2014
I think to be fair I will charge for one full day and 1/2 the other day. so for the holiday pay rate, it will be 75 for both days instead of 100

I charge $50.00 for SA full day
You can charge what you want, but I agree with blackcat and I think that's a lot.

At most I would charge the regular afterschool rate for the week and add on a charge only for full days the child was actually there.

Are you giving a discount for the full days, or are they paying full price (when attending). Usually the daily rate for regulars is a bit less, but they pay the same price every week / month regardless of vacation. Here you are having it both ways. Charging per day for full day care, but also charging full price for a day you are not opened. IMO the max you can charge is the regular weekly after school rate, plus any full days the child is actually attending.
Rachel 10:43 AM 10-28-2014
Rambling, but I also think the argument of "paid holiday" and why shoudl I lose out income doesn't work in this case. If it was a regular Thursday or Friday, the child woudl not be there all day and you would not be losing income for the holiday (except the before / after care fee which I think you can charge). You are asking to be paid extra just because it's a holiday and that seems unfair.
spinnymarie 10:52 AM 10-28-2014
I think half day rate is fair, if you charge at all.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 10-28-2014
I charge my SA a 1/2 day rate for before and after school. The only additional charges are days off from school (full rate), half days (I charge $5). I would charge them the week at half rate, and the additional half rate for the days in attendance.

For me that would be:

87.50 1/2 rate

M,T,W full days= 17.50x3=52.50+87.50=140
Reply Up