Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare And SIDS/Sleep Deaths Article *Child Deaths Mentioned*
cheerfuldom 05:31 PM 10-09-2011
http://www.stltoday.com/news/special...9bb30f31a.html
nannyde 06:19 PM 10-09-2011
Very good article and some issues I brought up in my blog.... poorly maintained equipment and using swings for sleep.

Frame, contacted by phone, said she typically used a portable crib for Nathan's nap, but a mattress support had broken, and "the middle of it had completely collapsed." She considered putting Nathan down in a car seat but decided on the futon.

For example, Macie Barton, 3 months, was ruled to have died suddenly Jan. 25, 2011, of viral pneumonia in her day care, even though Kemp says that condition rarely causes sudden death. Her mother had taken Macie to the pediatrician that morning for a follow-up on an ear infection and said she was just fine. Barton said the medical examiner discounted Macie's unsafe sleep environment. She died while napping in a swing.

Kemp and other researchers say too many deaths are inaccurately ruled SIDS when clear evidence of sleep dangers are present.

For instance, Bradyn Fuerst-Schanuth died while napping in a swing in his unlicensed Jefferson City day care. His death was ruled SIDS, even though experts identify sleeping in a swing as a risk factor for sleep deaths.
cheerfuldom 06:53 PM 10-09-2011
I think the swing thing definitely needs to talked about. I have received numerous brochures, etc. from the hospital where my kids where born and other avenues, about SIDS and sleep safety and not one mentioned not to sleep in swings or car seats.
nannyde 05:42 AM 10-10-2011

Cheer did you see they have a whole series on Deadly Daycare?

Missouri you need to click on North to Iowa DHS Child Development Home standards and get yourself some decent regulations. That "unlimited number of related kids" loophole is the size of Georgia.

Woops... Georgia has one too... it's "immigrant" loophole.

I've never been in favor of universal regulations but am begining to change my mind.

I'm going to read everything they have in this series. I know I will learn a lot. These guys did their homework and it's VERY rare to see situational specific data like this in infant death.

I'll get back to you guys once I pour thru it. I think I'll contact the writers this week.

This is like the best link ever. I'm so interested in it. If I can learn ONE thing... it would be worth the time.
nannyde 06:50 AM 10-10-2011

On March 10, 2009, Eads was caring for 3-month-old Owen Curtis. He was fussy.

She tried laying him on his back for a nap, but he wasn't going to sleep. So she put him on his abdomen.

It's okay that he doesn't nap. A crying baby is alive.

She said she had previously discussed it with his parents. Both agreed to it

Parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.

because Owen was old enough to lift his head.

It's not about their ability to LIFT their head. Head and neck control is something that improves very incrementally over days and weeks. One day he may be able to LIFT it but not SUSTAIN it and also not be able to TURN it left to right.

What a three month old can do ONE day he may not be able to do the next week. It depends on how much he is given belly time within that week. It depends on how rested he is going into it. What you see by Friday may disapear by Monday if the parents do zero belly time because they are doing no cry parenting.

Do not believe what you SEE until you see it over many many weeks many many times.

There's more to the idea that kids can LIFT their head then just lifting the chin up off the surrface. Just because they can LIFT their head doesn't mean they have the ability to get their head in a position to breathe properly or get themselves OUT of a position where they are not breathing properly. What he COULD do one day doesn't tell you what he CAN do today... considering TODAY'S variables.... and yesterdays.. and the week before.
nannyde 09:14 AM 10-10-2011
Christine Peppler said she had 10 years of child care experience, was trained in CPR and first aid, and believed she put safety first. She was aware that babies should be placed on their backs to sleep. But she said it seemed as if the advice was constantly changing.

She asked parents whether she could lay their babies on their abdomens for naps.

"They had that option, and there were parents who said no. I always abided by what they said."

The day before Ava Brown died of sudden infant death syndrome, Peppler asked whether she could lay the baby on her abdomen. Peppler said Ava's parents agreed because the 8-week-old was lifting her head and turning it from side to side. Everyone believed that meant Ava was safe, and that the risk period for SIDS had passed.

Experts in SIDS prevention say the first week an infant rolls over independently has been shown to be an especially risky time for SIDS. Experts recommend returning infants to their backs for that first week.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/special...#ixzz1aOc22U3S
sharlan 10:22 AM 10-10-2011
I just printed this out and will be adding it to my handbook. I've also posted it on my wall.

http://www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/p...policy1108.pdf
nannyde 10:43 AM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I just printed this out and will be adding it to my handbook. I've also posted it on my wall.

http://www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/p...policy1108.pdf
I wouldn't pass that out.

I don't agree with the blanket part period.

Also, if a Dr. gives you a medical note saying the child can sleep on their belly it must also include a supervision mandate along with it. Just because you have a doc note saying the child can... it doesn't take away liability for the kind of supervision a child on their belly MUST have regardless of medical need.

If you have a kid who has a note saying belly sleep is okay... then you MUST provide direct visual supervision of every rise and fall of the chest the entire time they are sleeping every day.

The note ADDS to your responsibility not deter from it.

NO BLANKETS

No blankets because this reccomendation needs to be absolute without any wiggle room. Allowing blankets means that you will have people using blankets in the bed in another manner then what they have pictured.

Allowing it means the provider would need another level of training. There is NO reason to put a blanket in a baby bed. Footed jammies and infant sacks are plentiful and cheap.

Warmth is a dumb reason to allow such a risk and all it does is provide a gateway to do the wrong thing. Training on this needs to be simple and filled with NO'S not exceptions to the rules with a bunch of rules.
cheerfuldom 12:30 PM 10-10-2011
Nanny, what are you seeing for recommendations for older kids and blankets/pillows? say 18 months to preschool age?

glad you are learning a lot from this thread. I do agree that the Missouri regulations are incredibly laxed compared to some other states.

I would not allow any baby to sleep on their belly for any reason. If they need that, they don't belong here. Nan is right, a doctor's note (for whatever reason) does not protect a provider from liability should something go wrong. Many docters are completely uneducated for stuff like this. I have been shocked by what some doctors have said regarding sleep safety, car seats, eating readiness and food, etc, etc. Parents think their doctors know everything when a quick google search would have loads of links telling you otherwise.
sharlan 12:41 PM 10-10-2011
I did cross off the portion about the blanket. I've always been a fan of footed pajamas and blanket sleepers. Being in SoCal, we don't have a lot of cold weather.
nannyde 04:47 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Nanny, what are you seeing for recommendations for older kids and blankets/pillows? say 18 months to preschool age?

glad you are learning a lot from this thread. I do agree that the Missouri regulations are incredibly laxed compared to some other states.

I would not allow any baby to sleep on their belly for any reason. If they need that, they don't belong here. Nan is right, a doctor's note (for whatever reason) does not protect a provider from liability should something go wrong. Many docters are completely uneducated for stuff like this. I have been shocked by what some doctors have said regarding sleep safety, car seats, eating readiness and food, etc, etc. Parents think their doctors know everything when a quick google search would have loads of links telling you otherwise.
For kids over the age of two I allow blankets and pillows. I use all in one pillows without zippers or covers for the two year olds.

The blankets have to be ones that can't be used to wrap around their necks so the thicker the better.

I have the kids divided by age. The kids two and under sleep in the nursery. The kids two and up sleep in the big kids bedroom.

I also have halo sacks for all the kids now. We will be using them this winter.

I don't allow any blankets IN the nursery. It's a blanket free zone. I'm also fortunate to have play pens with cot bottoms so I don't have to even use sheets. The only cloth in the bed is the cloth that's attached to the child. I use well fitted footed jammies, halo sacks, or mitted sleeper sacks for baby warmth.
nannyde 05:45 PM 10-10-2011

The McConnells had used a car seat for Autumn's naps at home and told the caregiver to do the same.

Parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
Tags:article, infant death, sids
Reply Up