Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gray Area ...
KDC 10:21 AM 05-15-2013
So. Yesterday DCG (age 3) starts with big sneezes (the kind that make a booger spiderweb out of her fingers, you all know the one. Then she gets the 1/2 eyes closed miserable look. I took her temp and it was 101.2 I called Mom & Dad and said, she's not feeling well, it's time for a pick-up. They're son was just sick with strep for 3 days about 2 weeks ago, and they were good to keep him home, but they challenge the 24 hour symptom free rule with DCK. DCM asks me, what about tomorrow? Can she come tomorrow if she's okay the rest of the night? I say no - the 24 hour rule is to keep other kids safe, it wouldn't be right, she seemed to get it.

The gray area... these are my neighbors, they live in the same cul-de-sac that institutes the 4:00 driveway 'beers'. All kids get their bikes/scooters/water guns and the adults sit back and enjoy all the free entertainment and happy kids. I love this time with my own three kids (cocktails ONLY when all DCK's are gone, of course!). So, DCG is out there having a blast, with a nose wipe from time to time, and DCM says - we took her temp, and couldn't get it over 100...could it have been since she was outside with you her temp was elevated? She seems to be acting normal, or just a bit off - like a cold. And she was right, she wasn't acting too terrible, just off with a cold.

So, this morning I get a text from DCD saying DCG slept normal and they were bringing her over, and just to let them know if I have an issue with it. I wanted to be stern, and hold to my guns and say NO... She had a fever over 101, she obviously has a virus and it's not fair to the other children to knowingly pass it around. Just because DCG isn't having a bad reaction to this virus, doesn't mean another child will have the same antibodies to fight it off. But, my DH got involved and said he understood their position... they only have 2 weeks left of care here (teacher family, moving away next year) and they're neighbors.. blah blah blah. He sent the text t 6:45 for a 7:00 arrival, so basically I had just gotten out of the shower and was running like mad to get ready.

She's here. Would you have said she could come OR would you have sent her home? Is there a gray area where you understand their pressures and you feel maybe they aren't 'that' sick? I felt really pressured to 'break' my rule, not only from the family, but my own husband. I DO see the parent's side - just feel I looked out for 1 family, and let down 4 other families. At this point though, my DH said they've already probably been exposed, so it's a losing battle anyway. ugh.
countrymom 10:32 AM 05-15-2013
agree with dh and u only have two weeks with them
Unregistered 10:33 AM 05-15-2013
I would be wondering if the lower temperature they are reading is after a dose of meds. It would be masked then and she would have perked up. I'd be upset at them challenging or rather bulldozing you a few minutes before drop off especially after clarfying the expectations the night before. They were not so concerned about being neighborly & keeping the spread of germs down.
daycarediva 10:37 AM 05-15-2013
I would say they took her temp medicated. I also find it negligent that they knowingly let her run around outside when she is sick, what if she infects the entire neighborhood?

I find it rude/disrespectful that they texted you to bring her at all after you told dcm no.

I would have probably let it slide, under the circumstances though and taken her temp at morning health check and every couple of hours throughout the day.

My ds always spikes a fever on day 1 of a virus, and is FINE after that. ALWAYS. Even when he had a confirmed case of flu.
Sugar Magnolia 10:43 AM 05-15-2013
Fever will be back in......oh, about 4 hours.
MNMum 11:31 AM 05-15-2013
The fever was over 101, it's not like it was 99. I have a hard time sticking to this rule sometimes, but it really is there for a good reason. Recently, when I did not stick to this rule (child had immunizations the day before, and I figured it was from that), the entire daycare and my family ended up getting the nasty virus over about a months time. Next fall, I am going to be very strict with this rule!
Reply Up