Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mulch, Sand, Grass, Pea Gravel, Rubber... What Do You Think?
butterfly 11:11 AM 05-14-2013
I have rubber mulch under my swing set. I love it. I wish I could afford to do the whole play area with it. I have my swing set kinda in the middle (rubber mulch under it) and I have cedar mulch around the outside of it where I have my play house and sand box and picnic table. I'm so tired of picking up cedar mulch - picking it out of the grass when it gets kicked out of its area, picking it out of the rubber mulch....

I'm considering either removing the cedar mulch all together or replacing part of it with something else. Any ideas? I like the idea of having something to cushion falls and not having to mow around all that stuff.

Can't find my camera to take a pic for you, sorry.
melilley 11:13 AM 05-14-2013
We bought some landscape timber and edged the playground with that. It keeps most of the mulch in and when you mow, you don't have to worry about running it over.
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 05-14-2013
I had grass under my swings but the kids just drug their feet enough that the grass died.

Then I put mulch under the swings and the kids kicked it, carried it and threw it all over the yard.

Then I put sand under the swings and the kids would kneel underneath and try to play in it like a sandbox and then cry when the other kids wanted to swing.

Now it is just plain old dirt.

Works best for me
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 05-14-2013
Here are some other threads about ground cover

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40258
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=mulch
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...mulch+-+rubber
melilley 11:17 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had grass under my swings but the kids just drug their feet enough that the grass died.

Then I put mulch under the swings and the kids kicked it, carried it and threw it all over the yard.

Then I put sand under the swings and the kids would kneel underneath and try to play in it like a sandbox and then cry when the other kids wanted to swing.

Now it is just plain old dirt.

Works best for me
Lucky! Here we have to have something under anything that is over 30 inches high and they recommend putting 6-12 inches under those things. It can't be grass or dirt it has to be something like mulch or what the op said.
MsLaura529 11:19 AM 05-14-2013
I know that here in MI, we have to have ground cover underneath anything that is a height of 30" or higher... which is why the daycare kids cannot play on my swing set yet because we haven't gotten anything under there.

I think we are just going to go with the cheapest mulch we can get right now, and then line that the landscape timber like PP mentioned. It should help keep it contained a little.

If you're thinking of removing the cedar mulch, would it be dirt under it? Or grass?

ETA: Haha, we must have posted at the same time about MI requirements
mnemom 11:23 AM 05-14-2013
We just installed a HUGE play structure. DH dug down 9in, installed a border, and put in 6in of pea gravel. We made it so you have to step down into it so less gravel will be coming out onto the grass. We also gave 4ft clearance on all side of the playstructure.
melilley 11:31 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I know that here in MI, we have to have ground cover underneath anything that is a height of 30" or higher... which is why the daycare kids cannot play on my swing set yet because we haven't gotten anything under there.

I think we are just going to go with the cheapest mulch we can get right now, and then line that the landscape timber like PP mentioned. It should help keep it contained a little.

If you're thinking of removing the cedar mulch, would it be dirt under it? Or grass?

ETA: Haha, we must have posted at the same time about MI requirements
Lol..we bought playground mulch/wood chips. It's cheap and doesn't have any chemicals in it...some of my babies like to "taste" the mulch.
melilley 11:32 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by mnemom:
We just installed a HUGE play structure. DH dug down 9in, installed a border, and put in 6in of pea gravel. We made it so you have to step down into it so less gravel will be coming out onto the grass. We also gave 4ft clearance on all side of the playstructure.
What a good idea, digging down. Had to have been a lot of work!
countrymom 11:35 AM 05-14-2013
I have pea stones.
rmc20021 11:47 AM 05-14-2013
Out of everything I've ever used I liked the pea gravel best. I had a rule though that the rocks stayed on the ground...they liked to throw it UP the slide. My playground was fenced off so little ones could't get into it though and walk behind the swings.

HATE, HATE, HATE sand....and not crazy about mulch either.
butterfly 12:20 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:

I have landscaping fabric down over the grass (which would be dead now) and mulch over top of that. If I removed the mulch it would just be the fabric right now. I was considering pulling that up and planting grass there again or doing something else...

I am required to have a certain depth of mulch under my swingset, but not around my other play things.
Play Care 12:30 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Lol..we bought playground mulch/wood chips. It's cheap and doesn't have any chemicals in it...some of my babies like to "taste" the mulch.
This is what we have. We had to have something. Pea stone was out as if I ever want to get rid of the play set, I didn't want to have to shovel out rocks. Regular mulch was too dirty. Our play set is in full all day sun (it was the only good spot for it) so rubber mulch was out as it can get hot. The playground grade wood chips work pretty good for the most part.
mamac 12:39 PM 05-14-2013
If regulations would allow me to have pea gravel that's what I'd go with. It has enough give to it to cushion a fall and it doesn't have any sharp or jagged edges that may hurt. I'm stuck with having to use bark mulch (not nuggets) that do and have given splinters and scrapes to my kids. Not a big fan of it. Plus the cost to replace every year negates the fact that it's initially a cheap ground cover. (especially at the required 9"!)
Lavender 01:00 PM 05-14-2013
At my work we have rubber mulch and I don't like it. It gets caught in kids shoes and gets tracked in plus it's hard with my kids (mobile infants) because they want to put it in their mouth. At my house my kids' playground has pea gravel under it. The area steps down like a pp mentioned. I think it's perfect. The gravel never seems to track out.
AmyKidsCo 02:47 PM 05-14-2013
I only have grass. But I don't have a swingset or tall structure that would call for anything else - that was a conscious decision because I didn't want to hassle with mulch or anything else.
Jewels 05:23 AM 05-15-2013
I went through this a couple years ago, I had to rule out rubber as I needed like 30 yards, and it would have been thousands I think 4-5 thousand, then I was really thinking pea gravel........but yes not only would we have to haul it all back to the playground, it would have to be hauled out someday, I found playground mulch cost effective and easiest, its all built in with landscape timbers, none of it besides a piece or 2 ends up in my yard, and it will just turn into dirt and will never need to be removed if we dont want to, its biodegradable, it does need to be topped off every 2 years though, we are topping ours off this year.
Reply Up