Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rethinking......
MissAnn 11:59 AM 05-22-2013
Right now the kids have cubbies. At the end of the day they transfer their artwork from the cubbies to their backpacks. My only problem is that parents keep putting things I do not want into the backpacks. A blanket for a 4 year old....I don't allow that. Once I found medicine! toys get smuggled in as well. So......just wondering, what do you do? My kids are all preschool age and I love the backpacks and how self sufficient the kids are with packing them. I thought about keeping the backpacks here m-f and the kids take their stuff home only on Fridays. Or.....I could have a stern talk with each parent. It's already in my policies that backpacks need to come here empty! So.....just looking for ideas.
Blackcat31 12:03 PM 05-22-2013
Why not just require EMPTY backpacks upon arrival.

If you aren't sure, ask "Say DCM Sally's backpack is empty right?"

DCM "Yeah, well except for her blanket"

"Oh well, if you could please take the blanket with you that would be great. Just leave Sally's empty backpack by her cubbie please. Thank you"

then
rmc20021 12:28 PM 05-22-2013
Personally I would not allow back packs. Kids always seem to hide stuff in them and then are trying to get into the backpacks throughout the day.

I have school aged kids (for right now...not much longer though) and they bring stuff in their's all the time. Constant battle.

If you want the kids to have back packs to take things home in, I'd empty them into mom/dad's hands each day at drop off and see how quickly they start checking to make sure they're empty BEFORE they bring their child to daycare.
littlemissmuffet 12:37 PM 05-22-2013
I know you don't want to, but I'd ban backpacks/diaper bags altogether (and have). If a child has something that needs to be in a bag to go home, they get handed a plastic walmart bag.
CedarCreek 01:24 PM 05-22-2013
I do folders/back packs. The only thing they are allowed to bring in their back pack are needed supplies.
Leigh 01:47 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Right now the kids have cubbies. At the end of the day they transfer their artwork from the cubbies to their backpacks. My only problem is that parents keep putting things I do not want into the backpacks. A blanket for a 4 year old....I don't allow that. Once I found medicine! toys get smuggled in as well. So......just wondering, what do you do? My kids are all preschool age and I love the backpacks and how self sufficient the kids are with packing them. I thought about keeping the backpacks here m-f and the kids take their stuff home only on Fridays. Or.....I could have a stern talk with each parent. It's already in my policies that backpacks need to come here empty! So.....just looking for ideas.
I would take out the contraband and put it in a basket or bowl or whatever at pickup time and ask parents to pick it out if it belongs to them, and state that it goes in the trash at the end of the day. Then, as they are leaving, hand EVERY parent a note explaining that these things are not allowed. I mean, medicine? WTF? REALLY? That parent is a complete idiot.
cheerfuldom 08:00 PM 05-22-2013
Can you put all their items in the cubbies and have parents bring backpacks on Friday mornings only? It doesnt sound like they even really need a backpack any other day since you want brought empty every day.
Reply Up