Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing Preschool Activities
tenderhearts 01:32 PM 08-10-2010
I do a preschool curriculum with my dck, I do my own. My kids range in age from 2 1/2 - 4. I have a 4 1/2 yr old who is definetly beyond what I do with my kids, he is very advanced, his mom knows what I do and seems fine with it and I know he'll do all the stuff I have them do without complaining. If you have someone more advanced would you find other things for him to do? This would be hard seeing it's already very time consuming putting together the stuff for the other kids on a weekly basis, not to mention doing & explaining one thing to him then doing the other kids seems like that would be hard. Just wondering what you others do. Thanks
Michael 02:21 PM 08-10-2010
Check some of these threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=activities
Former Teacher 02:38 PM 08-10-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I do a preschool curriculum with my dck, I do my own. My kids range in age from 2 1/2 - 4. I have a 4 1/2 yr old who is definetly beyond what I do with my kids, he is very advanced, his mom knows what I do and seems fine with it and I know he'll do all the stuff I have them do without complaining. If you have someone more advanced would you find other things for him to do? This would be hard seeing it's already very time consuming putting together the stuff for the other kids on a weekly basis, not to mention doing & explaining one thing to him then doing the other kids seems like that would be hard. Just wondering what you others do. Thanks
What I would do is have him do the regular projects. Like you said they are time consuming! However I would find more advance things for him to do as well. Or take what you would give the younger ones and gear it to the older boy. For example: say you are talking about apples. You want to color an apple. Give the younger ones pre cut apples but give him a regular one and have him cut it out. Things like that.

Even though my classroom was pre-k I had ages 3 and up. Once the child was completely potty trained, they were in my class. I tended to focus more on the older children going into kindergarten rather than the younger ones. This is only because I knew the younger ones would just be repeating some of the things that I did.

IMO I would find things and gear things more for him only because of the fact of him going to school.

Good luck!
Lilbutterflie 04:36 PM 08-10-2010
I have ages 2,3,4,4 & 5. I do different curriculum for the 2's and 3's than I do for the 4's and 5 year olds. I have the younger ones color or do free play while I work with the older ones. And vice versa. Also, a lot of the things I do with the older kids involve preschool workbooks, etc... and I let each child go at their own pace. My 4 yr old dcb goes through things WAY faster than the others!! Which means he either gets more done (like when he's doing workbook), or he just finishes early (like when we do crafts).
JenNJ 05:00 PM 08-10-2010
I think I would gear the lessons towards him. He will likely be in K next year, and will have to know certain things. The other younger kids will have a few years before they "need" to know certain things, so I would challenge him and just be sure to go over the basics that the little ones need at circle time.
Abigail 05:28 PM 08-10-2010
Tenderhearts--do you accept all ages of only until age 5 or 6? If you accept all ages I would spend more time finding ways to create more of a challenge for him, but if you only take children to age 5 or until they start school, etc I wouldn't spend too much additional time beyond what you're doing now.

As a provider, you're probably very creative as it is and your dc parents are already happy with what you do. You obviously care or you wouldn't have posted, but I wouldn't spend hours every week stressing over it.

Instead of finding completely different things, I would just add to some of your projects for him or ask a few extra questions that will spark his imagination to grow and learn more. I wouldn't change your whole curriculum everyday or anything.
tenderhearts 05:33 PM 08-10-2010
thanks, his birthday is like a month past the kinder date to enter school this year so he has to wait until next year which is sad because I know already he is going to be so bored in kindergarten. If I gear the preschool stuff to him I still need the younger kids going home with stuff they are learning too because I think I would have a few angry parents thinking I wasnt' doing any activities. I do like the idea of him cutting his own stuff ect. I was thinking about it and I think the group I now have could follow what I would do for him, they are all pretty smart little ones. I have a girl that is 3 almost 4 and I think she may struggle a bit but I think that's a great idea to gear it towards his group. thanks for helping me.
Tags:activities, pre school
Reply Up