Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It seems like not much respect for my time during interviews
christinaskids 08:17 AM 04-18-2012
I am sure a lot of you have run into this. Many many times people will not show up for an interview or will show up late. Ive not been giving out my address and tell them to call right before they come so i know that they are coming for sure. Plus, i dont want just anyone knowing my address. There are a lot of daycares in my city so getting kids takes a lot of time. What do you guys do to weed out the disrespectful interviewees?
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 04-18-2012
I personally require them to call me the morning of the interview to verify the time and day.

Then I wait until the time we agreed upon and if they are more than 15 minutes late with no contact, I cancel the interview. I do NOT tolerate lack of communication.

If they called, I will reschedule if I feel as though the excuse for lateness was justifiable.

If they don't call, I go along my merry way and don't give them another thought.

If they show up after the interview time without a phone call, I am usually gone by that time so they will be greeted with an empty house.

If they catch me as I am leaving and say anything, I let them know that I am no longer interested in interviewing them as I do NOT tolerate lateness with no communication.

Then I get in my vehicle and leave.
MNMum 08:30 AM 04-18-2012
Maybe when setting up the interview make it clear that they are getting the PRIVILEGE of interviewing. "I am only able interview one night per week. The first interview is XX minutes. During this time we will discuss XX. If you need to cancel this interview at any point, let me know as soon as possible." Sometimes people just don't get that things are important. But if you set up the scene for them, with clear expectations for them to follow, they can do it. If they are still rude and don't follow your expectations, they will save you the hassle of interviewing or giving them a spot - you'll know what knid of parents they would be!
DaisyMamma 08:33 AM 04-18-2012
It seems like a lot of effort, blackcat, to have to leave with all the kids, or do you only do after hours interviews?

I find after hours interviews inconvenient especially when I get no shows.
I absolutely love the idea of having them call when on their way in order to get the address. I'm going to do that from now on. Right now I just ask for them to call if something comes up.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
It seems like a lot of effort, blackcat, to have to leave with all the kids, or do you only do after hours interviews?

I find after hours interviews inconvenient especially when I get no shows.
I absolutely love the idea of having them call when on their way in order to get the address. I'm going to do that from now on. Right now I just ask for them to call if something comes up.
I schedule interviews 15-30 minutes prior to my closing time. I don't mind after hours (immediately after my closing time) because I only wait for 15 minutes so I just go home if they don't show up. No skin off my back. It is easy for me to do it that way though because I don't live in my daycare house.

LOL! I don't transport anyone's child anywhere ever! That is a funny image though....loading all my DCK's into the car to avoid a late interviewee... LOL!
Vianne 08:38 AM 04-18-2012
About a year ago I had a very in depth phone interview with one of my daughter's friends regarding enrolling her son in care. We spoke at length and I thought we had everything covered and understood.

She asked if she could come pick up paperwork and drop off a check and we arranged a day and time. Wednesday came and went with no show, no call.

Thursday she called & said she forgot ( red flag for me ) I did tell her she could come Thursday evening and she thanked me and assured me she would see me that evening.

Friday afternoon she showed up at the door just expecting to get on with it & I told her that the spot had been filled. That was the truth.

She just stood on my doorstep outside crying and I didn't feel badly because I was relieved I had dodged a bullet in dealing with a person who did not respect my time or my rules.

She asked me to please call her if I had any openings. I never called and I have no regrets. You have to watch out for those red flags at the beginning to avoid regrets later on if you accept them into care.
christinaskids 10:34 AM 04-18-2012
The only problem with not giving out my address is that some people think its shady. Had one lady that was scheduled but never showed up. My cousin has a daycare and she ended up going to her daycare and didnt want to bring her kid here because i refused to give out my address. I had one time i was so glad i didnt because i realized i had scheduled her twice and she didnt show so i called her back and told her i am cancelling the interview. She then went off on me cussing me out and calling me names. It surprised me but it was pretty hilarious for a woman to cuss out a daycare provider. I hope i am only weeding out bad parents this way. It seems like nobody takes daycare interviews seriously.
MrsB 11:02 AM 04-18-2012
No show-ers to interviews is one of my biggest pet peeves. Eventually I have realized its just part of the business. Annoying as all get up but still part of most businesses. I started about a year ago doing the same thing as blackcat. They have to call me by 11am on the morning of the interview to confirm. I still have had no-showers even after a confirmation call though.

One time a lady came for 2 interviews was super nice, kids were great. She called and we agreed to start care the week after my vacation so that would be three weeks away. She paid me the $75 dollar holding fee and I got the paperwork to her. We kept up to date throughout the first 2 weeks. Then my vacation week I didnt correspond with her because I was on vacation. Sunday evening, i texted her. See ya in the morning! Make sure you bring the kids changes of clothes and all the paperwork. Her response, Okay great!
Monday morning, no show, no nothing!!!! She never would answer any of my phone calls again.

Oh I was so flaming mad! I lost out on at least 2 weeks of pay so she could be a total flake. She ruined it for everybody now! Now you have to pay me the first week of care and the deposit (one week tuition to be used at the end of care w/notice) for me to even think about holding a spot for you.
Reply Up