Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5-Month School /Vacation/
31YearsInBiz 09:58 AM 03-27-2020
How is everyone feeling about this extended /vacation/ time for school-age kids? Specifically, the older ones that are at or near the age to be able to stay home but not mature or responsible enough yet. I find it harder to keep older kids busy and entertained in a multi-age family childcare setting.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by 31YearsInBiz:
How is everyone feeling about this extended /vacation/ time for school-age kids? Specifically, the older ones that are at or near the age to be able to stay home but not mature or responsible enough yet. I find it harder to keep older kids busy and entertained in a multi-age family childcare setting.
I stopped taking kids once they enter school a LONG time ago for that reason.

Never been happier..... so much less stress.

No amount of money would be worth taking them again.
Valerie928 10:07 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I stopped taking school agers 2 years ago. There was nothing enjoyable about it.
Cat Herder 10:13 AM 03-27-2020
I don't take them either. It is just not worth the money for the stress and resources in a small home setting with infants and toddlers.

The local big centers have that down, though. They have gymnasiums, running tracks, soccer fields and tennis courts. We are not short of options for those parents, locally.
31YearsInBiz 10:15 AM 03-27-2020
I live in the boonies, small town, not a huge demand for DC. So I've never had the luxury of picking and choosing.

Before all this chaos, I was sitting nicely with all after school kids (none before) and 1 child coming all day Thurs and Fri. So essentially, I was working 2 hours a day except for Thurs and Fri--was so nice.

But you're right, those 2 hours were always high stress, and I really hated snow days. Now it's 11 hours every day for 5 months......wah.
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 03-27-2020
I live in the boonies, small town, not a huge demand for DC. So I've never had the luxury of picking and choosing.

Before all this chaos, I was sitting nicely with all after school kids (none before) and 1 child coming all day Thurs and Fri. So essentially, I was working 2 hours a day except for Thurs and Fri--was so nice.

But you're right, those 2 hours were always high stress, and I really hated snow days. Now it's 11 hours every day for 5 months......wah.
Do you live close to a state park, skating rink or lake? That is how I survived it back in the day. Badmitten, corn hole, sprinklers and water paint helped, too.
Gemma 10:34 AM 03-27-2020

This is me too!
Annalee 10:40 AM 03-27-2020

Same here!!!!
31YearsInBiz 11:00 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Do you live close to a state park, skating rink or lake? That is how I survived it back in the day. Badmitten, corn hole, sprinklers and water paint helped, too.
Yes, but the regulations in my state would require me to have a lifeguard certification, and I'd have to have biannual transportation training. Also, I would have to have a vehicle that I could stuff them all into, car seats, booster seats, and so on......
Cat Herder 11:14 AM 03-27-2020
Yes, but the regulations in my state would require me to have a lifeguard certification, and I'd have to have biannual transportation training. Also, I would have to have a vehicle that I could stuff them all into, car seats, booster seats, and so on......
Or, you could do what I did and have the parents drop them off at the state park swimming area with a lifeguard on duty. I booked pavilions for the day (free with annual pass), packed meals and beverages. Ours had bathrooms, showers and handwashing stations. Parent drop-off and pickup was at the pavilion. All that was required were signatures on field trip forms.

I did the same at the skating rink. Movie theatre and library, we walked.
e.j. 03:07 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Or, you could do what I did and have the parents drop them off at the state park swimming area with a lifeguard on duty. I booked pavilions for the day (free with annual pass), packed meals and beverages. Ours had bathrooms, showers and handwashing stations. Parent drop-off and pickup was at the pavilion. All that was required were signatures on field trip forms.

I did the same at the skating rink. Movie theatre and library, we walked.
I know everyone here knows this but I just have to say it: You are amazingly resourceful!! I wish I had your creativity.
flying_babyb 04:49 PM 03-27-2020
Oh the school agers are annoying me. Rude rude little buggers! They play board games, color, go outside for hours, and have to lay down for a hour at nap time, after that, its homework time till 230. We print age approprate work sheets in differnt subjects and they do there homework. If there done early, they read. snack at 230, outside by 3 till 5.
Sunshine69 05:35 PM 03-27-2020
I’d prefer a room full of infants over school-agers any day.

They’re bored and bicker over everything.

I usually end up putting them in time out for tattling.

Some providers charge less for older kids. I don’t. They eat more and go through supplies like crazy.
Cat Herder 06:02 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I know everyone here knows this but I just have to say it: You are amazingly resourceful!! I wish I had your creativity.
Thank you. If it weren't for plan b,c, or d I would probably have never accomplished anything.
flying_babyb 09:18 AM 03-29-2020
find the one thing they love this week and spend a week letting them do it (ours are cars, day one: just cars, people. Tue- add blocks, Wens add boxes thurs add other props, fri build a city)
Tags:after school activities, school age care, school age daycare kids, school aged kids
Reply Up