Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mask Recommendation - Thoughts?
Baby Beluga 05:52 PM 04-02-2020
There has been talk that President Trump will recommend Americans wear masks to help prevent the spread of CVOID-19. New information is suggesting that 6 feet is not adequate and you can spread infected droplets via talking.

Will this influence your decision to close? I am not sure how I feel about remaining open. There is no way littles will keep a mask on here. If anything, I think it would cause them to touch their face more.

Thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/healt...ter/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...rus/index.html
Valerie928 06:16 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
There has been talk that President Trump will recommend Americans wear masks to help prevent the spread of CVOID-19. New information is suggesting that 6 feet is not adequate and you can spread infected droplets via talking.

Will this influence your decision to close? I am not sure how I feel about remaining open. There is no way littles will keep a mask on here. If anything, I think it would cause them to touch their face more.

Thoughts?

Honestly, any thing to cover your mouth/nose will do. You can wear a scarf, throw it in the wash after. This is in regards to having to go out to get groceries or something.

My daycare consists of only 1 family now, (2 kids) only 2 days a week. Mom is a physician assistant. I am letting my other dcg go tomorrow. Her mother works from home and dad is home more than he thinks I know. (They live down the street)
Michael 11:59 PM 04-02-2020
Covering your mouth and nose with a simple scarf or surgical mask can protect you from larger infected water droplets from someone near you and likewise prevents you from exhaling water droplets to someone else. A respirator can likewise have the same filtering affect and has the added advantage of filtering out micro-droplets or vapor from entering into your mouth or nose. The best mask is the n95 with a valve in the front. It prevents you from inhaling viruses, bacteria and most pathogens. The nice thing is that it’s easier on your lungs because the valve allows you to exhale quickly through it which prevents the buildup of heat in the mask. When you inhale, the valve closes and forces the outside air to move through the filtered mask, which is the ultimate preferred result.

Some of you may find this video informative but also alarming. The last half covers micro-droplets: https://vimeo.com/402577241?ref=fb-s...BpL4EjFU6aWICw
Attached: 317BE005-F3A4-4EFD-B3FF-5EC278BE613D.jpg (34.5 KB) C0E9B974-3551-474B-BF22-9D5FE250D5A1.jpeg (131.1 KB) 539B5CA2-1042-46B4-9562-418A8DA28914.jpg (39.9 KB) AACF0651-273B-41A0-9E93-45E5BD3EDBAE.jpg (64.8 KB) 
Josiegirl 03:52 AM 04-03-2020
Can you make your own? I watched a youtube video yesterday and she made it look so simple. It was simply a layer of cotton, a layer of flannel, and elastic. I know it's not the fancy schmancy stuff but it IS better than nothing and as they say it should keep your fingers off your face, at least directly. Make a few and keep them washed and rotated. Just an idea.

As much as I know wearing a covering of some sort is the smart thing to do, I only see a couple people here or there wearing them and feel silly when I wear one. If it became more common I'd wear my mask every place. I DO wish all the cashiers would start wearing them; I feel scared for them. I even thought about making a bunch and bringing them to my grocery store to donate.
Baby Beluga 06:05 AM 04-03-2020

Thoughts?

COVID-19 - oye

I am not worried about wearing a mask when running errands. While I understand why it was not initially recommended, I think wearing one should have been suggested from the beginning.

What I am concerned (or more curious) is if the recommendation is given - how does that effect us remaining open if kids are supposed to wear masks too? Or do we as adults wear masks and let the kids not? If the recommendation to wear masks is given, is that your line in the sand in regard to closing?
Snowmom 06:25 AM 04-03-2020
It is for me. I'm making up my mind this weekend.

I go back/forth about it. I'd love to stay open in one regard (for a few families) because our state is generously offering grant money to those that do. But... I won't know if I will get that $ until late this month. Even then, I probably wouldn't receive it until next month. So, if I stay open now, during the hot period, well... did I just screw myself?
Now that unemployment is an option, that may be the best route to protect everyone.

BTW, I have always used masks here. Most kids 2 and up have no problem with them. But now, you'd have to make them.
I would suggest, if you can wear a mask yourself, do it. Then separate babies in your space if possible. I have a curtain hanging from my ceiling that separates the two spaces (toddlers on one, preschoolers on the others). I plant myself between them so I can see both sides. At least that curtain can keep the air droplets from traveling between the two. Just like ER rooms if you think about it!

My super creative mom made me a few masks to use too. She cut up an air filter to use in the pockets. Works well!
Hunni Bee 07:35 AM 04-03-2020
My center.closed for 2 weeks and is now open for "essential personnel" which really means people that are willing to expose their children so they can work at home in peace.

We were advised that since they do not have enough PPEs for the small skeleton staff that they brought back, not to try to wear them because we'd be reusing them too much. Certain staff such as the cook wear them all day.

I'm going to sew my own this weekend. I was a complete basketcase by Thursday because of the stress of still working and being unprotected.
AmyKidsCo 01:27 PM 04-03-2020
There's so much conflicting information it's hard to know what do to. I'm committed to staying open for as long as I can. I plan to make masks for the adults in our family to wear when we're out and about, but not in the house. My families are isolating themselves and being super careful so I'm not too worried about it. I'm trying hard to control the things I can and don't stress over the things I can't.
flying_babyb 03:36 PM 04-03-2020
Our staff has committed to wearing them in public, but at the daycare its still a choice. I chose to wear as I have asthma, but most dont. I hate it, I need a clear plastic one. I just cant give the patented glare as well without the "Angee ips!" (angry lips)
jenboo 09:02 AM 04-06-2020
All my daycare kids are under 2 so I don't have a choice since they can't wear masks..
Baby Beluga 10:34 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
All my daycare kids are under 2 so I don't have a choice since they can't wear masks..
A choice to close or a choice to work without littles wearing masks?
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 04-06-2020
I am not wearing masks or having my DCK's wear them. I have not left the house since the first week of March.

The parents are not taking the kids out, either. The kids go home then back here, only. Each of them has one adult who gets groceries, washes up and changes before rejoining the family (my DH does the same for our house). My group has really taken this seriously in recent weeks since the first infections in our town.

I also have to say this is the best I have ever had clients manage their kids' allergies, too. Ever.
Baby Beluga 03:44 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am not wearing masks or having my DCK's wear them. I have not left the house since the first week of March.

The parents are not taking the kids out, either. The kids go home then back here, only. Each of them has one adult who gets groceries, washes up and changes before rejoining the family (my DH does the same for our house). My group has really taken this seriously in recent weeks since the first infections in our town.

I also have to say this is the best I have ever had clients manage their kids' allergies, too. Ever.
That's wonderful! Hopefully it continues when everything passes
jenboo 09:32 AM 04-07-2020
A choice to close or a choice to work without littles wearing masks?
I don't have the choice of deciding weather or not my dcks should wear masks or not since kids under 2 cannot wear them.
Cat Herder 09:39 AM 04-07-2020
That's wonderful! Hopefully it continues when everything passes
I am seeing some real reconnection going on in my families this past week and so far this week. Most are picking up earlier, now. Some are taking a couple of days mid-week to hang out with their kids and are doing their work a bit differently to allow for that. They seem to be slowing down and liking it a bit, now. The kids are really benefitting from more interaction with both parents, I hope that continues.

Our infection rate in town tripled since yesterday morning, so I am preparing for them to really start getting scared, now.
AmyKidsCo 01:37 PM 04-07-2020
I'm staying open. The recommendation is for when you're out in public, like in a store. My kiddos are only here and home, they're not going shopping with their parents. Most of my parents work from home, and those that don't are taking precautions.
Baby Beluga 03:52 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I don't have the choice of deciding weather or not my dcks should wear masks or not since kids under 2 cannot wear them.
That makes perfect sense
Ariana 05:56 PM 04-08-2020
We have started to wear masks around here. We only do groceries every 14 days so anything we can do to minimize risk works for me. We actually found a box of n95 masks under the sink. My mom bought them in 2009 when my daughter was born because she had a flu. They are expired so no longer have a charge and are likely not as effective as new ones but better than nothing!

I think if you can swing it financially you should close!

People are getting it now just from going to the grocery store. A woman in my neighbourhood got it and she hadn’t been out of her house in 20 days. Went to the grocery store without a mask and picked it up. She is urging everyone to wear one because she says hand washing is clearly not enough.
Baby Beluga 07:51 AM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
We have started to wear masks around here. We only do groceries every 14 days so anything we can do to minimize risk works for me. We actually found a box of n95 masks under the sink. My mom bought them in 2009 when my daughter was born because she had a flu. They are expired so no longer have a charge and are likely not as effective as new ones but better than nothing!

I think if you can swing it financially you should close!

People are getting it now just from going to the grocery store. A woman in my neighbourhood got it and she hadn’t been out of her house in 20 days. Went to the grocery store without a mask and picked it up. She is urging everyone to wear one because she says hand washing is clearly not enough.
It's not. There are models showing just how far the particles spread and linger when someone coughs or sneezes. I feel like this was information we should have already known based on how other viruses spread. But, I could be wrong.
Tags:contagious diseases - covid-19, face masks, infectious disease, pathogens
Reply Up