Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Suddenly Hitting?
Hunni Bee 04:56 PM 11-07-2011
I have an almost-four year old dcb who has suddenly started hitting often, like 2 or 3 times in a hour. He's the most mild-mannered boy I have, and he's not acting out in any other areas. Other dck's have come and told me that he hit and I didn't believe them, because its so out of character for him. And hitting is something we deal with maybe once a month....

He does have a speech problem though, and he may be realizing that he doesn't talk like other kids, and sometimes they don't understand him.

I've asked his mother to call me about it, but she has yet to do so, so I can't get him any help just yet...

...but what can I do in the meantime?

He hit three times today. The first I reminded him of the "no hitting" rule, the second time I made him sit with me for a while and reminded him again. The third I completely separated him and told him "You canNOT hit".
Heidi 05:04 PM 11-07-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I have an almost-four year old dcb who has suddenly started hitting often, like 2 or 3 times in a hour. He's the most mild-mannered boy I have, and he's not acting out in any other areas. Other dck's have come and told me that he hit and I didn't believe them, because its so out of character for him. And hitting is something we deal with maybe once a month....

He does have a speech problem though, and he may be realizing that he doesn't talk like other kids, and sometimes they don't understand him.

I've asked his mother to call me about it, but she has yet to do so, so I can't get him any help just yet...

...but what can I do in the meantime?

He hit three times today. The first I reminded him of the "no hitting" rule, the second time I made him sit with me for a while and reminded him again. The third I completely separated him and told him "You canNOT hit" right in his face with a . He never gets that from me and he kinda stared...lol.
Are you guessing that he hits when he's not understood? Maybe you can ask him at a time when he is not stressed, have a little conference with him. If that is the case, maybe he can work out a sign with you that he needs help. Come up with something that only the two of you know as the secret sign, and then you'll come help him.
daycare 05:16 PM 11-07-2011
Sounds like he is frustrated that he is not able to verbalize his thoughts and this leads to hitting.

My son used to do this..

I started watching my son more closely as soon as I saw him hit. I would try to catch him starting to get frustrated before it escalates. Then sit with him and ask him to take a deep breath like a giraffe and hold his long neck out.

Ask him how he is feeling. Let him know that you understand that he is frustrated, angry or whatever he says and them let him know that its ok to feel that way. Ask him to take another deep breath and relax.

Stay with him for a few minutes until he is able to calm down. Then try to find out what it is he is trying to say or do.... Help him to find his words....

this works wonders for my son....
Tags:hitting
Reply Up