Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>That time of year for the age old question
Josiegirl 03:33 AM 05-29-2014
What do you do with older kids all summer long???
I thought maybe we could help each other(those of use brave and stupid enough to take on older kids ) and compile a list of what they like to do? I hope? I'll have older kids ages 5-11 plus the younger crew too.

Playground games
Jumping rope
chalk
Sprinkler/water play
scavenger and treasure hunts
read
journal
Cooking/baking
board games(Parcheesi, Sorry, Mastermind)
card games(Uno, Crazy 8's, Spoons, Bluff)
crafts(what kind?)

It's early in the day yet and I'm starting off a little slow. Let's help each other and see what activities we can come up with, please?

I'm planning on doing the virtual vacation through some kid-picked states this summer so I have to get that search going.
A quiet activity I thought we could do at nap time: have lots of words cut out of magazines, let the children pick a few and write sentences or a story using those words. Collages are another good idea for naptime. Highly monitored of course

So PLEASE share any tried and true or 'wanna try' ideas with the rest of us??
Thanks!!
playground1 04:23 AM 05-29-2014
We tend to do projects and spend a week to several months on each one depending on interest. So, in the summer you could do, say "water" and then work on art projects, science experiments, songs, field trips, etc. I like it, it keeps me organized and on task.
Unregistered 06:26 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What do you do with older kids all summer long???

crafts(what kind?)

have lots of words cut out of magazines, let the children pick a few and write sentences or a story using those words. Collages are another good idea for naptime. Highly monitored of course

So PLEASE share any tried and true or 'wanna try' ideas with the rest of us??
Thanks!!
I did the word collage and mounted their words on magnetic sheets (the kind that slaps onto the side of a car with an advertisement). I think I bought the mag sheet at Michael's though can't remember for certain. I'm sure you can find it online. I used a spray adhesive to mount the words, but probably gluestick or scrapbook adhesive runner would also work. It can be cut with scissors or a paper cutter. They played with them on tv trays. They also made large single letters for the younger kids so they could spell out their names. Mine always liked making something for the littles
BumbleBee 06:33 AM 05-29-2014
They have their own room here-door remains open & they get checked on regularly. They can come play with the younger ones if they want, but their room is off limits to the younger ones.

As soon as lunch is done the SA's clear the table, wipe it off, & sweep. Then it's 30 minutes of reading. After that, 1 hr of a movie.

We're outside as much as possible too.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:24 PM 05-29-2014
All my kids have a journal (composition book). On the first day the big kids are here in the summer, I ask them to write in theirs a list of what they want to do this summer. (I don't usually give journal prompts; just that one day.) I read them all and compile a big list and try to do as much of it as we can. It also gives them ideas for what to do with their own time when they get "bored" (a lovely concept they learn in school after they leave me--it seems they forget how to find something to do!)

We have a well-stocked art studio, and the big kids could use the stuff in there all day and be happy. Outside, we have a mini version: an art cart that rolls in and out of the shed each day so there's art available on the patio.

The rule for them at nap time is "read, write, or draw." I put out tempting books carefully chosen for each of them, their journals, some wonderful pens (like a huge container of gel pens in thirty different colors), and they're generally happy.

The mud kitchen is a huge hit with all ages here.

They love going places--walking down to the river to wade or exploring the woods or heading to the park.
SilverSabre25 06:29 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
All my kids have a journal (composition book). On the first day the big kids are here in the summer, I ask them to write in theirs a list of what they want to do this summer. (I don't usually give journal prompts; just that one day.) I read them all and compile a big list and try to do as much of it as we can. It also gives them ideas for what to do with their own time when they get "bored" (a lovely concept they learn in school after they leave me--it seems they forget how to find something to do!)

We have a well-stocked art studio, and the big kids could use the stuff in there all day and be happy. Outside, we have a mini version: an art cart that rolls in and out of the shed each day so there's art available on the patio.

The rule for them at nap time is "read, write, or draw." I put out tempting books carefully chosen for each of them, their journals, some wonderful pens (like a huge container of gel pens in thirty different colors), and they're generally happy.

The mud kitchen is a huge hit with all ages here.

They love going places--walking down to the river to wade or exploring the woods or heading to the park.
Oh I am loving the "read/write/draw" thing! Love love love!
nothingwithoutjoy 07:39 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Oh I am loving the "read/write/draw" thing! Love love love!
Oh, good! :-) I used to give them lots more options, but pared back because it was getting way too noisy. This is easy to say and remember (I remind them each day when they leave us after a pre-nap read-aloud) and gives them plenty to do.
NoMoreJuice! 08:22 PM 05-29-2014
I'm having a BLAST with my school age kids this week! Tuesday, they decorated their own story journals and every day we make entries. I write a sentence each day and they come up with the MOST HILARIOUS stories! We're really into descriptive writing this week, but we'll be exploring character and plot development soon.

I bought a bucket of perler beads and let them create designs that I iron when they're done. This is great for practicing concentration with one of my adhd kiddos. It usually takes them an hour to perfect their design!

I have a huge list of activities for them to do when they're bored. They can pull a slip of paper out and complete the activity with no help from me. Stuff like creating a treasure map and hiding something for the others to find, or using my reference books and kid-friendly encyclopedias to research a specific animal or country, or creating a list of items in the backyard from A-Z. They planted seeds in small pots on Tuesday that they are tending to and keep an eye on each day. If that's not enough, I let them go crazy with all my art supplies, and let them clean up the classroom when they're done.

They were all SO BUMMED when I told all the parents earlier this spring that we will be having a technology-free summer! But this week has flown by, and nobody has ever been bored yet!
taylorw1210 04:45 AM 05-30-2014
Loving all these ideas! I only have 1 SA'er this Summer and she's an older sibling to a set I currently watch FT. She's the sweetest little girl but I was a bit worried about keeping her entertained 3 days/week this summer.
TickleMonster 07:44 AM 05-30-2014
Will be keeping posted on this thread. We only have one SA girl, a sister to one younger dcg. Shes really sweet and quiet but I dont want her getting bored. We bought a whole bunch of wood and cermaic projects for her to paint. I also like the journal ideas people are posting on here. I plan to go to the library and check out books for her for during naptime. We also do board games like Hi Ho Cherryo and Candyland that she seems to enjoy. Hope to see other ideas on here too!
Reply Up