Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Is Too Much?
daycare 01:51 PM 09-13-2011
I am out of practice with the little and how soon I found myself forgetting simple things..
I started a DCB age 16months. This boy can put down some food. He is very chunky and probably weights about 28-32lbs.

Question is how much is too much? Today I fed him 1 full bowl cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1 egg. He sat in the high chair and screamed for more. So I gave him more. He at another bowl of oatmeal and some chopped apples. He was screaming for more, but I did not give him anymore as this was way more than the amount of food that I give the 3-4 year olds and is suggested by the Food Program. Also, the boy is not consuming hardly any milk and I feel this is why he is so hungry.

I don't want to conrtibute to this child growing up over wieght or unhealthy, but i also dont want to deprive them of food if they really are hungry...
sharlan 01:55 PM 09-13-2011
My 3 & 4 yo wouldn't eat half of that.

The 3 yo is the better eater - he would have eaten the oatmeal and a handfull of blueberries. When they eat eggs, it's 1 egg, 1 piece of toast, and a few apple slices. They get either 4 oz of milk or 4 oz of juice.
mismatchedsocks 01:57 PM 09-13-2011
I have a boy who started at birth. His dad would feed him CONSTANTLY! I didnt know this until his school age sister was here one day. He has been like this since birth, and I cant bring myself to feed him excessively. I got him on a schedule here, and is still not enough for him. He will always eat more if I let him.

He is now 11 months, and eats like your little boy. I feed him the same amount that I feed the 2-3 year olds and that is it. I dont know what else to do, I have given family info on nutrition and he still eats pizza rolls, ribs, etc at home. I cant change home habits, but he is used to his schedule here now.

Id offer him milk if he is still hungry, but not more food. Good luck!
Christian Mother 02:04 PM 09-13-2011
I have a 2 1/2 who is just so tall and stocky for his age. His parents are tall....6'4 healthy. People look at him and can't believe he is that age...they think he's 4 yrs old. He wears size 5T's!! He's a good eater and eats just about anything I give him. But I started having him when he was 2 months so I have always been careful with the amount of food given. I know that with his parents being tall and bigger boned although no means fat will have a little guy who can get to be to big also. Hope the doesn't come a crossed bad. Have to be careful with the way I word things.... But I think you are doing a great job bc your giving him all healthy food and your limiting his food intake. Stand firm. If I give 2nds it's only what is left over and it's divided between everyone. Then after they get 1 oreo cookie or for today they got a little bit of a rice crispy treat that my husband made last night. When they wake up they get a snack. Seems to be enough. They only get one snack though here bc if there is one given before lunch guess what...they don't eat lunch...lol!!
wdmmom 02:05 PM 09-13-2011
Provide him with what the food program considers a serving size. I fear the parents are giving in to keep him quiet. He needs to re-learn that food and soothing do not go hand in hand.
Happiness 02:28 PM 09-13-2011
I think one of the key things you mentioned was that he was not really drinking too much compared to how much he was eating... so maybe before meals you give him that drink... and make sure it is gone before he actually starts eating...

I am sure that would help him get full faster... as for portion sizes.... as much as he might want more... a portion is a portion.... starting over eating habits as a child does lead to really bad eating habits...

One thing you have to remember... is that so long as you are giving them their portion... you are not straving the kid...

(Side note.. I realize that kids will start eating the older they get... )
cheerfuldom 02:35 PM 09-13-2011
is he crying at other times? perhaps the parents comfort him with food a lot at home?
nannyde 03:19 PM 09-13-2011
His serving size would just be one quarter of a cup of oatmeal, one quarter cup of blueberries, and half a cup of milk.

I would stick to that.
daycare 03:30 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
is he crying at other times? perhaps the parents comfort him with food a lot at home?
I think that this might be the case.... I dont want to bash the parents, but they are the kind that would do something like this...

I know it will be hard work, but I am going to have to NOT give in to the crying and screaming he does when he wants more food... I did this at snack and he scream his head off until he finally fell asleep in my arms.
Abigail 11:49 PM 09-13-2011
I would have a meeting with the parents and say "Hey, this is what the food program requires me to serve, the amounts per age, etc." Ask the parents what he eats and home and how much? Tell them you will not give him more because of his higher weight and ask them to be on board with you and write down what he eats just to see how much he actually eats at home.

Give the parents a few days at a time and see how they handle things at home. If after a week he still screams a lot for more food, talk to the parents again and ask them to bring the child to a dr. for more advice and let them know it's a partnership that you must work together to separate food from soothing if that's the case.

Maybe they don't give hugs or cuddles? When my hubby's not home and I want a hug, I go straight for the oreo's and milk! Either way, I wouldn't want to hear screaming all day yet I wouldn't want to contribute to childhood obesity. In the end, I would give the parents a notice of termination if they do not work with you and you do not see progress with a few weeks.
countrymom 06:26 AM 09-14-2011
wow, thats way too much food for 16month old. I would give what nannyde would give. Now, my back up lady (C) was telling me about the little girl she watches. This little girl is 4 yrs old and over 70 pounds. Her parents have been told her that she is obese and that she can't eat take out food anymore and that she needs to start eating healthy. Well a couple of weeks ago my back up ladys hubby saw them in wendys eating, and she was eating an adult meal. Also, this girl cries all day for food, and C won't give in. Last week it was a whole day of crying for cookies. Mom says to C that girl loves to eat veggies with cheeze wiz on it. So C goes and buys cheeze wiz and the girl gags on veggies, so she knew mom was lying. Also, this girl eats cheeze sandwiches for breakfast, its cheeze wiz on bread. Oh and the mom works at a daycare so she should know better. Another problem is that this girl can't run, can't jump can't do anything with complaining that her legs hurt.
Meeko 06:33 AM 09-14-2011
Depends on the child. I have 4 children. Three are average to small in stature. My second was a boy (now my day care assistant!) He was a month early and yet still weighed 9lbs and was 23 inches long. He skipped all newborn clothes. I breast fed him...but he would completely drain me and then drink a bottle of formula too. When buying baby food, I felt that simply holding out my arm and sweeping the shelves clear at the store would have been more productive. My doctor told me to just forget baby food and make my own. When his brother started kindergarten, the teacher thought he was starting too. He was two and bigger than his 5 year old brother.

He is now 6' 4" tall, size 14 feet and has shoulders in different time zones and still eats enough for three. He is a huge man. But he's fit and healthy ( linebacker when at high school!)

Unless your dcb is already obese (many babies are chunky)....I would feed him what he wants. He may have a very fast metabolism and burn it all up. If you are worried....ask the parents to get him evaluated by a doctor.
Tags:big baby, eating issues, fat, food - limit, food issues
Reply Up