Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Issue
Angelwings36 09:43 AM 10-14-2011
So I have a 14 month old little girl here who just learned how to crawl out of her playpen. As per my contract ALL children in my daycare must have a rest period. I literally can not keep her in her playpen for more than 30 seconds, I turn my back and she is out again. I purchase a reclining children's sleep chair that has straps to help during the times that I have this problem (not my first escapee) however, I am currently using it for another little boy in my care. Typically what I do it put the child back in the playpen the first 5 times and after that they go in the chair for nap time. I start the procedure again the next day and typically within two weeks the problem has been resolved.

So I texted mom and informed her that her daughter learned how to climb out of her playpen (I had to put her in it for a few minutes to clean up a accidental mess). I told mom she has two options;

1. She can run and grab me a second chair that I can use for her daughter at naptime.

OR

2. She would have to come pick up her child for naptime today so I can get the equipment I need to deal with the situation over the weekend.

She is upset with me. She said she couldn't leave work for 2 hours for nap time and could not pick up the chair.

What's your input on this?
KBCsMommy 09:48 AM 10-14-2011
My 7 mo dcb is doing the same thing. Just not out of the pnp, but wont sleep because he can pull himself up...I think Im going to get a sleep sack for him!!
Winter is coming so perfect timing!

Can you transition her to a mat? Once they climb out of the pnp its obviously not safe anymore.
Angelwings36 09:58 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
My 7 mo dcb is doing the same thing. Just not out of the pnp, but wont sleep because he can pull himself up...I think Im going to get a sleep sack for him!!
Winter is coming so perfect timing!

Can you transition her to a mat? Once they climb out of the pnp its obviously not safe anymore.
No, I personally feel she is too young and won't stay on the matt at this time. I try to make as less work for myself as I can so I usually don't transition completely out of the playpen until the children understand they have to stay in their spots.
CountryMommy 10:03 AM 10-14-2011
I've seen mesh tents that you can attach to the playpen so that they are unable to crawl out. I have no idea what they cost or how safe they are to use though.

This is what I'm thinking: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...oductId=531755
DaycareMama 10:04 AM 10-14-2011
I think the sleep sack idea is great. They make them in larger sizes and would prevent her from getting her legs up and over. If she is able to undo the zipper you can always put it on her backwards
godiva83 10:06 AM 10-14-2011
Can you sit and rub her back? Are you in the sleep area? As soon as you see her move lay her back down

I don't think it is realistic to ask mum to leave work to care for her dd at nap time, that is why she is paying and counting onyou as her DCP

How costly is this 'sleep' chair?

I agree that 14 months is still a wee bit young to translation to PNP

I luckily have never had an escapee- but I know it would drive me bonkers!
Good luck
Angelwings36 10:06 AM 10-14-2011
Is a sleep slack something like a sleeping bag? I have never heard of this before?
GrannyJ 10:13 AM 10-14-2011
Ok, I must be totally in the dark! What is a sleep sack and a sleep chair? I have never heard of either one.
But my pnp came with a net to go over the top to keep the little ones inside.
KBCsMommy 10:21 AM 10-14-2011
A sleep sack is like a long dress or gown thats sewn on the bottom. They come in different fabrics or you can make your own. Its like a baby sleeping bag!
laundrymom 10:24 AM 10-14-2011
I suggest direct supervision until she is asleep. I'm not familiar with your local laws but do know in Canada the safe sleep campaign is well known.

http://www.preventioninstitute.sk.ca...eping-and-sids

I would never expect a parent to do what you have asked of her. I would never nap anyone in a chair. I don't CARE what it is marketed as.

Back to sleep. Every time. Flat firm surface. Not restrained in a seat so they can't move around. That is cruel. Here in Indiana I would be shut down and probably have charges brought up against me.

This child needs to either be put in a larger crib, or transitioned to a cot or mat. Not restrained in a chair designed to hold them for naps. That's just wrong.

I dont mean to be so harsh but how would you feel if I came to your home, buckled you in a big sleep chair, and left you there? I'm guessing you would hate it. And probably call the police and bring charges of confinement up in me. I WOULD GO TO JAIL.
Heidi 10:27 AM 10-14-2011
sleep sack sleep sack sleep sack!
Heidi 10:30 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
So I have a 14 month old little girl here who just learned how to crawl out of her playpen. As per my contract ALL children in my daycare must have a rest period. I literally can not keep her in her playpen for more than 30 seconds, I turn my back and she is out again. I purchase a reclining children's sleep chair that has straps to help during the times that I have this problem (not my first escapee) however, I am currently using it for another little boy in my care. Typically what I do it put the child back in the playpen the first 5 times and after that they go in the chair for nap time. I start the procedure again the next day and typically within two weeks the problem has been resolved.

So I texted mom and informed her that her daughter learned how to climb out of her playpen (I had to put her in it for a few minutes to clean up a accidental mess). I told mom she has two options;

1. She can run and grab me a second chair that I can use for her daughter at naptime.

OR

2. She would have to come pick up her child for naptime today so I can get the equipment I need to deal with the situation over the weekend.

She is upset with me. She said she couldn't leave work for 2 hours for nap time and could not pick up the chair.

here is a link for the sleep sacks. Even found a Canadian site for you!

http://www.sleephuggers.com/
nannyde 10:30 AM 10-14-2011
what's a sleep chair?
nannyde 10:31 AM 10-14-2011
Can you tell me the depth of the INSIDE of your playpen she is using. That's measured from the mattress to the lowest point in the playpen horizontal top rail.
caligirl 10:47 AM 10-14-2011
In California a child has to be in a crib until the age of 2. I've heard of a sleep sack but not a sleep chair. I've had children in the past climb out of their crib. When they reach that point, and until I have trained them not to, I bring their crib in the same room that I am in.....and the minute I see them start to climb out I say in my very firm 'daddy voice' 'NO! You Lay down!' and lay them back down each and every time.....it takes a while, but I win that battle every time. Once I have them trained, it's back to the nap room and I don't have the problem again. And no, I'd never ask a parent to come get them during nap either.
nannyde 10:55 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by caligirl:
In California a child has to be in a crib until the age of 2. I've heard of a sleep sack but not a sleep chair. I've had children in the past climb out of their crib. When they reach that point, and until I have trained them not to, I bring their crib in the same room that I am in.....and the minute I see them start to climb out I say in my very firm 'daddy voice' 'NO! You Lay down!' and lay them back down each and every time.....it takes a while, but I win that battle every time. Once I have them trained, it's back to the nap room and I don't have the problem again. And no, I'd never ask a parent to come get them during nap either.
In a crib till two there? Hmmm I've never heard that one. That's going to become tough with the equipment becoming SO shallow and cheaply made.
Angelwings36 10:57 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can you tell me the depth of the INSIDE of your playpen she is using. That's measured from the mattress to the lowest point in the playpen horizontal top rail.
I will get you a measurement later on, can't get out to the garage for the measuring tape right now. lol
caligirl 10:59 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
In a crib till two there? Hmmm I've never heard that one. That's going to become tough with the equipment becoming SO shallow and cheaply made.
In Cali, they are considered an 'infant' until 24 months. Crazy huh? I think so!
B Lou 12:01 PM 10-14-2011
Sorry this post just made me laugh. I mean any one of my parents would think I was out of my mind if I called and asked them to come get their child for nap time. When my children start to climb out of the cribs I just do the old transition to a mat. I mean what's the difference is putting them in a crib time after time when you can do the same thing on a mat?
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:

OR

My input on this is you need to make due today however you can. I am honestly surprised that you called this parent and expected her to "remedy" the problem right now today.

If this is a new thing for this dcg, then you should follow your policy of doing what you stated for teaching your kiddos to nap (per your contract/policy book) and if that doesn't work, then discuss other options with the mom.

I guess for me that means standing over the PNP, the entire nap time if necessary until the child understands that she needs to stay put.

As a parent, I too would be really upset if you called me and asked me to do one of those two options.

Since this child is just now learning to climb out of the PNP, I would think it is a signal that she is either ready to transition to a mat or cot.

As for the chair with straps (......I can't get images of Hanibal Lecter strapped down to his cart thing out of my mind now. LOL! )

Is it even legal to strap a child down to nap? I can see strapping them into highchairs and swings and such but into chairs for sleeping purposes seems strange to me.
Cat Herder 12:07 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My input on this is you need to make due today however you can. I am honestly surprised that you called this parent and expected her to "remedy" the problem right now today.

If this is a new thing for this dcg, then you should follow your policy of doing what you stated for teaching your kiddos to nap (per your contract/policy book) and if that doesn't work, then discuss other options with the mom.

I guess for me that means standing over the PNP, the entire nap time if necessary until the child understands that she needs to stay put.

As a parent, I too would be really upset if you called me and asked me to do one of those two options.

Since this child is just now learning to climb out of the PNP, I would think it is a signal that she is either ready to transition to a mat or cot.

As for the chair with straps (......I can't get images of Hanibal Lecter strapped down to his cart thing out of my mind now. LOL! )

Is it even legal to strap a child down to nap? I can see strapping them into highchairs and swings and such but into chairs for sleeping purposes seems strange to me.
I agree, Blackcat.

Transitioning her to a nap mat would be the most logical solution.
AmandasFCC 12:16 PM 10-14-2011
I agree with the other ladies. I don't think I would be using a "sleep chair". I've had kids start trying to climb out of PNP's and when that happens, as Blackcat said, I stay in the room hovering over the child until they get the hint. If that means I'm in there for 2 hours then guess what. I'm in there for 2 hours. I also agree that expect a parent to leave work to get you the equipment you want or to watch her child is ludicrous. Like the others said, that's what she's paying you for. No offense, but this is hardly Mom's problem.

Personally, I would be transitioning child to a cot. I would sit beside the child, rubbing her back, stroking face, doing whatever it is she needed to get the clue that nap time is nap time. Yes, the child is young so yes, it's going to be incredibly difficult and probably take a long time of you being in the room, hovering and assisting. But ... that's what we're paid to do ...
Meyou 12:20 PM 10-14-2011
I would sit with her until she fell asleep. Either in a taller (older and bigger) playpen or on a nap mat. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving her in a PNP if she could climb out.

My playpens are all older and very large compared to the new ones. In fact my cousin who has a newborn had a new PNP at my aunt's the other day and it looked doll size to me not baby sized. :S
Solandia 12:25 PM 10-14-2011
I would transition to a cot as well. I have trained a 12mo & a 13mo to a cot from a pnp, and it went easier than I ever thought it would. I stay in the room during naptimes, so it wasn't something new. All the kids slept in the same family room off my kitchen (open floor plan). I stayed in the kitchen & play on the computer while they sleep.

A sleep chair does not sound appropriate at all, imo.
JEM 01:19 PM 10-14-2011
Just curious what a sleeping chair is? Do you have a link?
MamaBear 01:52 PM 10-14-2011
I would definitely start using a mat for her. I start putting my kids on a nap @ 14 months. I just started a 14 month old and his mom was insistent that he would get up from the nap mat and I better put him in a PNP. I tried it the first day and all he did was stand up over and over again in the PNP. He didnt sleep at all that day. So I put him on the nap mat the next day and after him getting up 2 times and me putting him back and telling him to go to sleep, he actually did Now its been a week and hes got it down.

What is a nap chair? It doesn't sound very safe to have a little one napping in a chair... or comfortable?
Country Kids 01:57 PM 10-14-2011
I looked up sleep chairs. They actually look like a chair and then you unfold them to make a bed. We actually had a loveseat like this. You pulled the back cushion out and it made like a mini bed to lay on. Wish we still had that-was really nice for tv watching and such!
nannyde 02:00 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I looked up sleep chairs. They actually look like a chair and then you unfold them to make a bed. We actually had a loveseat like this. You pulled the back cushion out and it made like a mini bed to lay on. Wish we still had that-was really nice for tv watching and such!
Have you seen one with straps? That's what I've never heard of.
Country Kids 02:02 PM 10-14-2011
Would it be something you might put a child in that has disabilities so that they aren't in a realy bed but are in a bed of sorts. Maybe something you order through medical supplies. That way you could strap them in and not worry about them falling out? I see if I can find something.
nannyde 02:09 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Would it be something you might put a child in that has disabilities so that they aren't in a realy bed but are in a bed of sorts. Maybe something you order through medical supplies. That way you could strap them in and not worry about them falling out? I see if I can find something.
You couldn't pay me enough to use something like that. I would be scared the kid would get the neck caught in the straps. A wirery one who is froggy.... ummmm scarry.
cheerfuldom 02:17 PM 10-14-2011
perhaps by the sleep chair, OP means something like the "nap nanny". I would never restrain a kid to go to sleep or let them sleep inclined.

is it like this?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG0Q8wIwAA

I thought these were recalled?
nannyde 02:28 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
perhaps by the sleep chair, OP means something like the "nap nanny". I would never restrain a kid to go to sleep or let them sleep inclined.

is it like this?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CG0Q8wIwAA

I thought these were recalled?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nap-Nanny-Ex...item336ce9f85e

With no top end weight limit, the Nap Nanny transitions into the perfect toddler chair.

Never leave child unattended.) Measures 32" L x 17 1/2" W x 10" H. For infants weighing eight pounds and above.

Hmmm with the average girl child being 19 months when they are 32 inches long.... and that would be the kid being exactly as long as the longest possible accomodation.

The average 14 month old girl is 30 inches long. That would only give two inches extra total.

I can't see these working for toddlers. It's just not long enough.
Blackcat31 08:36 PM 10-14-2011
When I searched for a sleep chair with restraints I found this. It looks like it is meant for special ed safety use ?? (like countrykids mentioned).

It is called a Rifton Chair. I have no idea if this is what Angelwings is referring to but it is the only sleep chair with straps that pops up when searching.
bice99 08:47 PM 10-14-2011
She needs a Peapod! I had an escape artist last year. We bought her the Peapod plus (so mom could use it as she gets older for hotel rooms, camping, gma's house) and my little one absolutely LOVED it! She would happily go into it, wave ni-night and point at the zipper. I made sure all of the zipper pulls were on the outside after I zipped it shut. I rolled up all of the vent flaps so she could get lots of ventilation through the mesh.
Attached: lg_p203.jpg (85.5 KB) 
Tags:mats, napping routine, safety issues, sleep - area, sleep arrangement
Reply Up