Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Charge For This?
cheerfuldom 07:48 AM 10-12-2013
I have a mom asking about rate for the following...

two days a week for 12 hours per day (3 of the hours being past my normal closing time)
a third day a week for 4 hours that day (3 of the hours being past my normal closing time)

She said she is currently being charged $70 a week for these 28 hours a week (9 being evening hours).

I was frank with her. There is no way that I would work for $70 a week for these hours. My full time rate is $140, part time rate is $30 per day and that is during normal business hours. My quote was $160 per week with every hour outside of business hours being $10 an hour. This child would be my only child in the evening but I most likely would not be able to run errands with him and I would essentially be giving up three evenings a week. He wouldnt leave till after 8pm so that is the whole evening.

He is also under 12 months old.

and she has been looking for care for at least a couple months now because I have seen a number of her ads and Facebook posts looking for a sitter so I know she is having a hard time finding anyone even close to the $70 a week rate because otherwise she would have taken it by now.

here is the second scenario she purposed, if she can get her mom to pickup earlier

10 hour days on Monday and Wednesday with only 1 hour being past my business hours
2 hour day on Friday with only 1 hour being past my business hours

In this case I told her $95 per week ($40 for Monday and Wednesday, $15 for Friday)
JoseyJo 08:31 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have a mom asking about rate for the following...

two days a week for 12 hours per day (3 of the hours being past my normal closing time)
a third day a week for 4 hours that day (3 of the hours being past my normal closing time)

She said she is currently being charged $70 a week for these 28 hours a week (9 being evening hours).

I was frank with her. There is no way that I would work for $70 a week for these hours. My full time rate is $140, part time rate is $30 per day and that is during normal business hours. My quote was $160 per week with every hour outside of business hours being $10 an hour. This child would be my only child in the evening but I most likely would not be able to run errands with him and I would essentially be giving up three evenings a week. He wouldnt leave till after 8pm so that is the whole evening.

He is also under 12 months old.

and she has been looking for care for at least a couple months now because I have seen a number of her ads and Facebook posts looking for a sitter so I know she is having a hard time finding anyone even close to the $70 a week rate because otherwise she would have taken it by now.

here is the second scenario she purposed, if she can get her mom to pickup earlier

10 hour days on Monday and Wednesday with only 1 hour being past my business hours
2 hour day on Friday with only 1 hour being past my business hours

In this case I told her $95 per week ($40 for Monday and Wednesday, $15 for Friday)
IMO you should quote your FT rate for the first scenario - explained like this- it is only 28 hours but 9 of those hours are past business hours which is double time. 28+9=40 which is FT
cheerfuldom 08:33 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
IMO you should quote your FT rate for the first scenario - explained like this- it is only 28 hours but 9 of those hours are past business hours which is double time. 28+9=40 which is FT
what I did was the full daily rate plus $10 per evening hour on those 12 hour days plus some more for that third day. you can tell by my rate that I really dont want to do these hours but I will if I am paid very well to do it. my charge was almost three times what she is currently paying but oh well. i dont want babies here in the evening unless i am getting paid a nanny rate for it, period.
TheGoodLife 09:16 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
what I did was the full daily rate plus $10 per evening hour on those 12 hour days plus some more for that third day. you can tell by my rate that I really dont want to do these hours but I will if I am paid very well to do it. my charge was almost three times what she is currently paying but oh well. i dont want babies here in the evening unless i am getting paid a nanny rate for it, period.
There you go! If she wanted to pay it, you'd be compensated- but since you don't really want to, you're basically giving her the push to go elsewhere
Leigh 06:27 AM 10-14-2013
Either of those scenarios would be charged my full-time rate-if it were 3 hours past closing, she would pay a premium for that, on top of my full-time rate. I would not negotiate the full-time pay, but I would be willing to negotiate on the after-hours care (maybe $6 per hour on the days 3 hours late-I would probably be willing to do the 1 hour late in my regular rate, IF she were paying the higher rate for the 3 hours late days. If the second scenario applies, I would charge the full overtime rate on top of my full-time rate. I charge full rate after 20 hours.
daycarediva 06:39 AM 10-14-2013
I would charge/quote exactly as you did. Full daily rate + higher hourly rate for the 12 hour days, hourly rate for the one hour during my business hour + higher hourly rate after closing.

For me it would be 100 for the two days, plus $10/hour OT for 6 hours=$160 for those two days

third four shift $5 first hour, then $30 for the next 3 hours, so $35

$195.
BumbleBee 03:39 PM 10-14-2013
I charge hourly. $3 per hour normally, $6 per hour after hours.

Scenario 1 would come out to $111 for the 28 hrs. (19 hrs at $3/hr plus 9 hrs at $6/hr.)

Scenario 2 would come out to $75 for the 22 hrs. (19 hrs at $3/hr and 3 hrs at $6/hr)
dingledine 03:56 PM 10-14-2013
Things are more expensive out here, and I wouldn't take those hours no way, no how, as I wouldn't see my own family much then.

I would charge 70 per day for the 12 hour days. That is part time rate, plus over time.
Tags:rates
Reply Up