Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Two Hours Really Make That Much Of A Difference?
daycare 10:16 AM 10-07-2011
SO I have DCB that are here for almost 12 hours. This has schedule has been into place for a little over m months.

Prior to this, the child was only here from 8:45-6. Now its from 7:30-7:00.

Over the past few weeks, I have seen a huge change in behavior. The child was normally well mannered and listened well. Played well with the kids and hardly pushed the limits. Well now its the complete opposite.

I know that this child wears the pants in his house and the parents spend very very little quality time wtih him. In fact I think he may not even really see his parents during the week.

Do you think that because of this new schdule, it could be causing this change in his behavior?

any advice...thanks
cheerfuldom 10:19 AM 10-07-2011
wow...yes I do think this is why. I would never ever keep a kid this long in my home each day. I refuse to contribute to families where the parents do not have any waking hours with their own child. Sure they could find another provider who would do it, but its not going to be me. and when do you ever get a break yourself? yikes. 2 hours is the whole world to a child. very very sad situation.
Christian Mother 10:32 AM 10-07-2011
I think in part his behavior could def. be contributed to the long hrs. But in my experiences I've found that when there is a change in routine how ever small the child feels it to the fullest. It could take 2 wks to a month maybe even more before he gets used to the new routine...there at daycare and at home. Daycare...you are a saint to take kids til 7pm. I changed my schedule from 7am to 6:15am to help one of my families out bc they will be picking up early. But, I learned the early pick up is not early as I thought it was going to be. But it is still better then 7pm. I would prob. have a talk with his parents and find out how things are for them on the new schedule and how little guy is doing with the later transition. Let them know you've noticed a def. change in behavior at daycare since the schedule change and let them know what your doing there to curb it. I'd find out what they are doing on there side. It would be interesting to see what they are doing with quality time at home w/there son....
daycare 10:42 AM 10-07-2011
trust me, this is not typical taht I would do this schedule. Right now with the economy the way it is, I cant afford to lose any of my clients. I have already scaled way back in other areas of my life to the point that there would be nothing left I I took anything else away.

teh parents are super nice people, but they lack parenting big time. the child is super saint (normally) when hes here, but as soon as the parents come in that door....boom its like a switch went off. So we have been on the Nannyde Bye bye outside program fro almost 4 months.

I have tired to talk with the parents about the change in his behavior, but I really dont think they see it as thier probelm, they see it as mine.

Years ago when i had a huge waiting list, I would have never agreed to this schedule or allowed for this type of behavior....

I just got off the phone from a friend that is also a provider in town and she says that if things dont change for her she is closing by the end of this year. She also said she is having to deal with a lot of disrespect too because she is afraid to upset any clients or term becuase she cant fill spaces.....
TBird 10:59 AM 10-07-2011
Kids are a LOT smarter than we give them credit for. Just because you haven't said "Little Johnny....mommy & daddy have left you here for an additional two hours per night," doesn't mean that Little Johnny doesn't know that he's there a lot later now.

My answer is YES.....2 hours is a MAJORLY big difference!!! I've seen kids whose parents are a 1/2 hour later than usual start lining up at my gate because they know (intuition I guess) that it's around the time they're supposed to get picked up. Once that time passes, they get cranky and are just DONE no matter how wonderful their day was.

I know it's slim pickins out there but I've turned people away that needed 12 hour days...it's just not a good thing (usually) for anyone involved.
sharlan 11:02 AM 10-07-2011
I would say this is definitely the cause of his problems.
countrymom 11:12 AM 10-07-2011
can I asky, why is he in your care for that long, seriously I find it odd that both parents work that schedual.
Christian Mother 11:34 AM 10-07-2011
I find that one of my little guys who is 2 1/2 is wild when the parents come to pick up. It doesn't matter which adult gets here..he's a bolt of energy..lol!! I either have him in his high chair for snack or on the couch with a book and if that doesn't work he gets to sit in a chair in another room until that parent leaves. With mom he's been doing better and then he gets a sticker. So far he's doing very well.
daycare 11:35 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
can I asky, why is he in your care for that long, seriously I find it odd that both parents work that schedual.
So here is the thing. Both parents are self employeed. Mom owns a human salon and dad owns a doogie daycare salon...lol

they do both work a lot of hours, but lately every time they show up, the parents have obviously been home to change clothes. Often dad looks like he came straight from the gym. mom often looks like she was out shopping, drops off looking one way, then picks up all dolled up.

DCD even admitted to me that he now has dinner in peace at home, as he eats dinner alone before he picks up DCK sometimes.

It is so sad, but I honestly cant say anything. How can I police them? I can't. I really honestly don't care what it is that they are doing or why they want thier child in care for that many hours as long as they are paying me and followign the rules.

BTW I wanted to add, I am being paid pretty well to work these additional hours
daycare 11:37 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Kids are a LOT smarter than we give them credit for. Just because you haven't said "Little Johnny....mommy & daddy have left you here for an additional two hours per night," doesn't mean that Little Johnny doesn't know that he's there a lot later now.

My answer is YES.....2 hours is a MAJORLY big difference!!! I've seen kids whose parents are a 1/2 hour later than usual start lining up at my gate because they know (intuition I guess) that it's around the time they're supposed to get picked up. Once that time passes, they get cranky and are just DONE no matter how wonderful their day was.

I know it's slim pickins out there but I've turned people away that needed 12 hour days...it's just not a good thing (usually) for anyone involved.
So can I ask you, if you were on the brink of possibly closing daycare because you should not fill spots for almost a year now, you would turn business away?

My motto is when the going gets tuff, you suck it up and do what you have to do to make it.

I have had 3 openings since February...........with NO hopes of filling the spots.
Tags:bad behavior, behavior - change, change in behavior
Reply Up