Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well... This Sucks?
KDC 09:01 AM 04-03-2012
So yesterday was a complete crap day, complete with a screaming newborn, vomiting toddler and ended with a person giving notice. Not only did she catch me off guard, but she has a strong personality and I find it hard to fight for what I think is right?

I have a contract, it requires a 2 week notice on either party for terminating care. She just found out yesterday her school is closing down as of Friday. It's a private school that is state funded, and the money has run out and she's just out of a job. She was unaware of my 2 week notice (Stating DCB's last day would be this Thursday , and I reminded her and she implied she didn't get 2 weeks, so why should I? Then asked if she could just spread out those days if she needed me as a drop in if she gets any substitute days? However, I need to find someone to fill the spot and if I am able to get someone in here in 2 weeks, that spot will be filled and there will be no more room for her child. I do feel bad this has happened to her. I'm really bummed DCB will be leaving, he's a great kid! She just completed her masters in Childhood Education/Administration and she's a bright woman, I'm sure she'll find something starting next year at a new school... I just can't sit on a spot for that long as he's a full-timer and 1/3 my income. Do I hold to the 2 weeks? I pushed for it, and don't think I should cave in - Does this make me insensitive?

Side note: I would LOVE to fill in with another 18 + month. I just took on a newborn 2 days a week (will go 3 days in summer). I am getting a TON of calls for little ones, not so many for the 2/3 yr. olds unless it's an odd situation (rotating work schedules, part-time, 1/2 days). I'm inclined to wait until I find the right fit... I had a great dynamic and it's changing now, BOO!
Tags:2 weeks, termination
Up