Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bad Behaviors Parents Teach Their Kids. . .
Pestle 09:16 AM 07-25-2017
. . . because it's "sweet" or "funny." Things the parents are proud to show off. "Hey, Johnny does this thing; isn't it great!" Share your stories.

I have a 1yo who slaps the other kids across the face; I bought another gate so I could divide my playroom into two and keep her away from the other kids. I assumed it was just the phase she was in.

Today at drop off, her big brother came in with her. The mom coached her to slap the brother across the face, while he pantomimed doubling over from the impact. They have choreographed this.

This is her last week here, so I didn't. say. a. word.
midaycare 10:27 AM 07-25-2017
The booty dancing and shaking to adult songs. Kids pick up those lyrics quick. I'm not a prude, but in front of the kids, yeah, I'm Miss Goody Two Shoes.
Poptarts22 10:33 AM 07-25-2017
Last week a group of 3 DCG's playing with cloud sand we had made. The one girl divides a small pile into two lines. Then held one side of her nose and proceeded to pretend to "sniff" it. Immediately separated from the group. A long talk with mom at pick up-and mom casually blaming it on what she watches on TV. The dismissive attitude of mom made me want to scream!
Ariana 10:41 AM 07-25-2017
The 19 month old that pinches her mom at pickup. Pinches her on the arm, face, boob, wherever. Then mom laughs and thinks its hilarious. That kids pinched me once. Once. It never happened a second time. I did not find it very funny
Ariana 10:42 AM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
Last week a group of 3 DCG's playing with cloud sand we had made. The one girl divides a small pile into two lines. Then held one side of her nose and proceeded to pretend to "sniff" it. Immediately separated from the group. A long talk with mom at pick up-and mom casually blaming it on what she watches on TV. The dismissive attitude of mom made me want to scream!

This is quite literally the most disgusting thing I have ever heard. What is this poor child watching?? . Parents suck.
hwichlaz 11:14 AM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
The booty dancing and shaking to adult songs. Kids pick up those lyrics quick. I'm not a prude, but in front of the kids, yeah, I'm Miss Goody Two Shoes.
See, I LOVE the booty shaking. it's how every toddler I've ever seen dance, dances.

Adult lyrics, not so much. But not my hill to die on.
midaycare 11:31 AM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
See, I LOVE the booty shaking. it's how every toddler I've ever seen dance, dances.

Yeah, the booty shaking is cute. Just not when they are singing adult lyrics. Boo!
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 07-25-2017
I hate when I see posts of little kids behaving like little diva's or gansta-wanna-be's.

Parents think it's cute.

Maybe within the family but not necessarily shown to the world... "Hey look my kid can flip you off AND toss in a cuss word, all used appropriately! S/He is so advanced"

Yeah, not cute at all.

Most of it is simply teaching kids to be disrespectful.

It reminds me of the little kid in the "Linda listen.." video.

It was cute but ONLY because it was not my kid or a DCK. If a DCK thought it was within his right to argue with me like that I wouldn't take too kindly to it.

There is a time and a place for everything and bottom line is I really don't care what a parent teaches their child as long as they teach them that.
AmyKidsCo 12:27 PM 07-25-2017
My BIL taught my niece to flip people off because he thought it was cute. Guess who's having problems with his kids now they're teens?
Pestle 12:42 PM 07-25-2017
Here's what people who do this don't get:

The humor in these scenarios comes from incongruity. It's the incongruity of a small, relatively powerless, innocent child performing an act that typically comes from a tough, mean-spirited, disillusioned adult. That's why it's funny; it's funny because it's unexpected. It's the same kind of humor as those movies where Arnold Schwarzenegger or The Rock has to take on a gentle, sensitive persona; it's flip-the-script humor.

One day, those kids will be older, and it won't be flipping the script if they slap their siblings, listen to music with lyrics that treat women as sex objects, or hang out with people who do lines. When that incongruity is gone, there's no humor left, because this behavior is awful.

Dear parents: If it would be awful in a 20-year-old, it's awful in a 2-year-old. Don't teach it to them.
Baby Beluga 02:21 PM 07-25-2017

I have no words.
Baby Beluga 02:24 PM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:

To me there is a difference between normal toddler dancing booty shaking and a little kid trying to twerk. Normal toddler dancing is absolutely fine, and cute. A child trying to twerk because an older role model taught them? Awful
flying_babyb 09:56 PM 07-25-2017
"watch me whip, wath me nay- nay, get your hands up getcha gotcha hands up"
My one kid! He can whip and nay nay too. Really bright kid though, knows all the parents "that Jaicee mom, that bobert dad. Dat Carmen!" tells me when he poops "I smell spargus!" (which hes copying from mom)
got another one whos brother laughs and thinks its funny to hit others in the face. Oh and he likes to head butt people, Mom just tells him no. Well yesterday, he decided to smack a two year old (Hes one) and the kid slapped him back. Guess he learned that it hurt. Hasn't done it since.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 05:46 AM 07-26-2017
I used to work at a psych hopital. A lot of our kids were there more because parents couldn't handle behaviors and less for actual mental illness. I had a kid do this with sidewalk chalk he had ground into a powder. Even when presented with a mirror showing his yellow nose and upper lip denied that this is what he had done. It did give the social worker some content for the next family session, though likely fell on deaf ears.
Tags:bad behavior, parents - disrespect
Reply Up