Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD - Outside
Unregistered 03:40 PM 04-03-2013
I am a registered user, just logged out for privacy

WWYD...

I have many toys for the DCK's... chalk, coupes, bubbles, jumpy jump (blown up on nice days), push toys, swing set, toddler roller coaster, balls, blow-up water slide for nice days etc. BUT, my kids are growing up and aren't really 'enjoying' these toys as much (ages 6 & 8). I do not allow dck's to ride bikes at my house due to liability... but would you allow your own children to ride their own bikes? What if I had another DCK that was like, say 5 and in-between the toys. Or, is that considered rude? I don't want to be disrespectful, but I also want the kids to feel they don't always have to do what the 'little kids' do and resent having the daycare in their home. I want to be fair...

Also, my youngest has a motorized vehicle that is special to him and I do not want to open it up to the daycare (they're so rough on toys that aren't theirs), so it's currently being only used when DCK's are not around although I can see this too will cause issues for him. Last year I only allowed them to be passengers, which they were okay with - but this year I do not see that flying...
MNMum 03:43 PM 04-03-2013
I would allow your older kids to use their bikes during daycare hours, but no one else. Your kids are older than the rest. 6 and up get bikes! I would probably make the motorized toy only for use when daycare kids are not present, if it becomes a problem that they can't drive.
AmyKidsCo 03:59 PM 04-03-2013
My youngest are 6 & 8 also, and are allowed special privileges the DCK are not. If the DCK complain I remind them that they have special toys at their houses that they don't bring to share at daycare, so the boys are allowed to have toys they don't have to share.

At the same time, I only let them ride their bikes when the rest of us are in the house.
Starburst 04:50 PM 04-03-2013
Do you have any other type of riding toys you would be okay with them riding that are age appropirat and less liability? Like a trike, a scooter, stroller, or a plastic foot-powered (Flinstone) car?
http://magazine.uc.edu/content/dam/m...ra/Lcoupe2.jpg- we used to have something like that when I was a kid (expet it didn't have a face)

These two toddlers I used to babysit for had a bike they rode in the house but it didn't have any pedels so they just used their feet on the ground when they used it.
http://striderbikes.com/

At the FCC I used to work at she had all kinds of riding toys outside that were perfect for toddlers and preschoolers and I never seen a kid fall.
This is one of the ones they had outside:
http://www.toyshare.in/product_details.php?prodid=MzEz
Play Care 03:55 AM 04-04-2013
My own kids are "aged" out of the day care at 6 & 7, so they are allowed to do things that my dc group can't. When they were in the same age I kept their toys away until after dc hours - it made things easier and I did't want parents to see obvious signs of favoritism (I had read somewhere that this is a reason parents go with center care as opposed to home based). They can be outside without us, so that's when they do all their own toys.
MsLaura529 04:26 AM 04-04-2013
I would let your own ride their bikes, agree with PP saying that "6 and up ride bikes" or something like that.

We're not allowed to use motorized vehicles for daycare, so that one would be out of the question for me. I would save it to be used after DCK are gone ... that way they won't get tired of it as soon, too
KDC 06:57 AM 04-04-2013
Thank you! I do not let my kids bring their toys into daycare, unless they're willing to share with everyone & are willing to risk it's potential break. I do NOT allow DCK's into my children's rooms, even if they've become friends. I am not able to supervise them appropriately and it gets too messy. If the same child is over for a play date, then different rules apply.

My intention is to make sure the other children do not feel left out, I would not want that for my children if they were at another day care. However, I want to be fair - if the DCK's have a plethora of age appropriate toys, I want there to be something for my children to do as well.

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel better about what my 'gut' was telling me!
crazydaycarelady 07:38 AM 04-04-2013
I think we do need to make some concessions for our own children. It's their house and I agree that the dckids have special toys at their house. I think it is okay to let your kids ride their bikes.

I remember as a kid going to my neighbor afterschool who had a home dc. She would slice an apple in half and give it to us as a snack while her own child would eat bowls of potato chips. As an adult looking back it is obviously a better snack but as a kid I really really wanted some chips!
Reply Up