Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Can You Tell If A Child Is Color Blind?
CedarCreek 09:15 AM 06-04-2013
I have a 3 1/2 year old dcb who does not know his colors. He has been with me for about 4 or 5 months and despite the color games we play and the flash cards we use, he cannot tell me his colors. Pink is the only color he regularly gets right.

Can this be normal or is it possible he is color blind?

We play this game where I have different color ice cream scoops that get stacked on a cone. If I only give him two options, he will still have no idea which one is red even of the other choice is very different like yellow. If we play the game a few times in a row, he will get it right a bit more, but not much. And the next time we play, it starts all over again.

I'm not sure what's going on.
youretooloud 09:30 AM 06-04-2013
https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...w=1211&bih=683

If he can find the shapes in these tests, he's not color blind. Maybe he just needs to learn differently.

I, personally don't think kids CAN learn from flashcards. But, the games you speak of should be a fun way to learn without knowing he's learning.

Keep it fun, and don't stress.
snbauser 09:49 AM 06-04-2013
It can be normal for that age.
Angelsj 10:11 AM 06-04-2013
Learning is different for many kids, but it is a standard rule of thumb that a child needs to see/hear/touch a concept for at least 75 times before it becomes a "given."
Keep going and add in "color" language in everything. Don't ask him to hand you a sock, ask him to hand you the "green sock." If you get a red one, say, "Oh that is the red sock. Thank you! Can you hand me the green sock too?"
"Do you want the red plate or the green plate?"
If you truly suspect color blindness, teach him his numbers or shapes, because he will need to know those for the test. If he has the same problem with those, he just hasn't been exposed enough.
CedarCreek 11:15 AM 06-04-2013
Thanks everyone! He is doing well with his numbers and shapes, I will try the test.
JillJones82 08:03 AM 06-06-2013
Good luck!!
Unregistered 01:15 PM 06-17-2013
Try having him match same color objects or sort objects by color without naming them. If he can match/sort colors then you will know that he is having a difficulty with the word rather than seeing the different colors.
MNMum 02:42 PM 06-17-2013
My own 3.5 yo old boy just finally learned his colors. Quite honestly, I don't think he much cared to learn them before. We always teased that maybe he was colorblind, as it runs in the family, but I figured he just wasn't interested. Finally, he started giving me the right answer on all the colors at the same time. (BTW, my girls knew them at about 20 mos... )
nanglgrl 05:11 PM 06-17-2013
For some reason I see this ALOT with my boys. My girls are the younger 2 year olds and know everything, the boys are the older 2 year olds and I think they answer questions wrong on purpose most of the time because if I "trick" them and ask them to hand me a certain color item they do it but if I "quiz" them they act like they have no idea!
Reply Up