Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Acquaintance Wants Info On Starting Her Own Daycare -- Where Do I Start??
DBug 08:01 AM 07-28-2011
So, a friend of a friend wants some information on how to start her own home daycare, and is wondering if I have "a few minutes" to chat later on. As you all know, starting a daycare business is something that takes more than "a few minutes" to figure out! I'm not even sure how serious she is about this, so I don't want to waste a couple of hours of time just "chatting" -- I'm packing for the long weekend tonight, and time is at a premium. On the other hand, if she is serious about it, I'm more than willing to help out (just maybe not tonight ).

For those of you who have helped other women start up, where did you start? Do you invite them over and spend a few hours going over your contract, policies, set up, etc. to let them see how it's done? And are there any resources you direct them to (other than state-specific licensors, etc)?
Reply
SandeeAR 08:29 AM 07-28-2011
If she plans to be licensed, give her a link to the website. Tell her after she has read it all and you are back in town, you will happy to answer any questions. If she is serious, she will read the info. (I did and I'm not even licensed). When you get back, if she hasn't read it, you know she isn't serious and you won't have wasted any of your time on it.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 07-28-2011
I am a mentor to new providers in my area. I would refer your friend to the state licensing office and tell her (if you are willing) that after she speaks with them and gets all the necessary info/paperwork, you will gladly help her after that.

This way, you will know if she is serious and she will also probably have a ton more questions if your state is like mine with all the confusing paperwork they require. LOL!
Reply
Cat Herder 09:25 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am a mentor to new providers in my area. I would refer your friend to the state licensing office and tell her (if you are willing) that after she speaks with them and gets all the necessary info/paperwork, you will gladly help her after that.

This way, you will know if she is serious and she will also probably have a ton more questions if your state is like mine with all the confusing paperwork they require. LOL!
Same here.

Refer her to the website and tell her once she gets the application packet and checklists you can help her decipher it all.

Only 1 in about 50 or so folks who ask call me back after seeing the requirements and checklists.
Reply
cheerfuldom 09:54 AM 07-28-2011
send her links and such for info. if you get involved like this, be prepared for her to basically want you to do everything for her. Perhaps she is not that type of person and truly just wants a few minutes of time but more than likely, her asking has the hidden intention of you doing as much as possible for her. I had the same situation where a daycare mom (who did become a friend) wanted a few minutes of time. When I offered literally a few minutes or she could type out questions in an email, thats not what she really wanted. She wanted someone to come over, spend hours with her, help figure out how to use her backyard and home, etc, etc. When I said no, she never even started anything (its been several months now). What she really wanted was someone to do it for her and hold her hand the whole way. Once the realization hit her that she would be having to do HARD work to get this thing going, she quit right off.
Reply
nannyde 10:15 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Only 1 in about 50 or so folks who ask call me back after seeing the requirements and checklists.


Cat you are killing me.

Aren't you buried deep in learnin how ta take care of da kids?

Glad to see ya
wouldn't want to be ya

Reply
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Cat you are killing me.

Aren't you buried deep in learnin how ta take care of da kids?
I am up to 66 hours completed in under a week....STILL no new information.... I have 4 computers going, now.

I rock at standardised tests... I wish they would just let you challenge the test first to skip the power point h e double hockey sticks. I could have already been done.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 11:55 AM 07-28-2011
"You're thinking about doing daycare?! That's great!! Of course I can help you, I'd love to! I can always use the extra money. In the meanwhile let me give you the licensing website to get you started. Once you go through everything on the website then you can call me and we can discuss my consulting fees and schedule an appointment."

I learned this little trick from Nan
Reply
DBug 01:05 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
"You're thinking about doing daycare?! That's great!! Of course I can help you, I'd love to! I can always use the extra money. In the meanwhile let me give you the licensing website to get you started. Once you go through everything on the website then you can call me and we can discuss my consulting fees and schedule an appointment."
Hmm, since this IS the second person looking for help in the last month, who knows -- maybe I should look into expanding my services ... and income !

I emailed her with a couple of sites to look up that have all of the licensing details, and told her to email me on Tuesday, when we'll be back. I'm hoping that at the very least, the sites will give her a better idea of what she's getting herself into and answer some of her questions. I'm all for networking and helping each other out in this field of work, but it can be time-consuming too.

Thanks for all of the great advice, ladies!!
Reply
nannyde 02:17 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
"You're thinking about doing daycare?! That's great!! Of course I can help you, I'd love to! I can always use the extra money. In the meanwhile let me give you the licensing website to get you started. Once you go through everything on the website then you can call me and we can discuss my consulting fees and schedule an appointment."

I learned this little trick from Nan


Yep

If your help is as valuable as she says it is then she will gladly pony up for your advice.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 02:47 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:


Yep

If your help is as valuable as she says it is then she will gladly pony up for your advice.
You betcha. And don't think that I've forgotten about your services Nan. Because I'd gladly pay for your expertise any day. This years project was redoing my kitchen and my windows and buying my new van which came out beautifully but also left me near penniless lol. I have to save up all over again for next years project which has come down to either revamping my backyard or paying for your consulting
Reply
nannyde 02:49 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You betcha. And don't think that I've forgotten about your services Nan. Because I'd gladly pay for your expertise any day. This years project was redoing my kitchen and my windows and buying my new van which came out beautifully but also left me near penniless lol. I have to save up all over again for next years project which has come down to either revamping my backyard or paying for your consulting
Your back yard looks fine to me.
Reply
Country Kids 03:55 PM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am up to 66 hours completed in under a week....STILL no new information.... I have 4 computers going, now.

I rock at standardised tests... I wish they would just let you challenge the test first to skip the power point h e double hockey sticks. I could have already been done.
Oh, you are one of those lucky people that test don't bother! You are so lucky! I start to almost cry-seriously-when I even have to take my food handlers card because I have such bad test anxiety. I just know if I don't pass then I can't keep doing childcare and it totally freeks me out! I actually had to quit my major in college because I couldn't pass my tests to go into the field I was studing. To this day it frustrates me because I was sooo excited to go into that field. I think about going back to school and the thing that stops me is knowing there will be tests!!!! I think why waste the money just to fail them and not be able to go on. Anyway, Catherder good luck in your schooling and go for the gusto!
Reply
Tags:competition, start a daycare business
Reply Up