Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policies, Contracts, and Divorced Parents
SilverSabre25 10:08 AM 02-13-2014
I already have the contract with just one parent.

HOWEVER--they were together when they started here. THey chose me together. They share custody 50/50 and I see both of them about equally. So, Dad should be jsut as required to follow my policies as mom, correct?

Do I give him a set of the new policies and have him sign it just as I do with mom (the parent with whom I have the contract)?

Seriously trying to get a handle on this shared custody thing...It's confusing me.
Reply
Annalee 10:12 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I already have the contract with just one parent.

HOWEVER--they were together when they started here. THey chose me together. They share custody 50/50 and I see both of them about equally. So, Dad should be jsut as required to follow my policies as mom, correct?

Do I give him a set of the new policies and have him sign it just as I do with mom (the parent with whom I have the contract)?

Seriously trying to get a handle on this shared custody thing...It's confusing me.
I think giving both a set of policies is a good idea. I provide monthly newsletter and I have several grandmothers at pickup and I give them one as well because they are the ones providing alternate care when I am closed.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 02-13-2014
I think giving them both handbooks and information as well as daily updates etc is a great idea.

However, whether the parents share custody 50/50 or whatever is irrelevant to me. I don't want to get into having to chase two parents for money for the care of ONE child.

If they get along well enough to share everything jointly then there is no reason why they can't get together well enough to appoint one of them the one in charge of paying you and then working out the rest amongst themselves.

I refuse to get between two separated parents and their money situations.
Reply
SilverSabre25 10:19 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think giving them both handbooks and information as well as daily updates etc is a great idea.

However, whether the parents share custody 50/50 or whatever is irrelevant to me. I don't want to get into having to chase two parents for money for the care of ONE child.

If they get along well enough to share everything jointly then there is no reason why they can't get together well enough to appoint one of them the one in charge of paying you and then working out the rest amongst themselves.

I refuse to get between two separated parents and their money situations.
Payment is no problem, BC, I handled that the second I found out about the divorce. Mom pays me and knows that she has to deal with Dad for his half, and that I need paid on time even if he doesn't get her the money. THAT is no problem.

I'm just wondering about handing him the policy book, expecting him to sign something like that, etc.
Reply
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I'm just wondering about handing him the policy book, expecting him to sign something like that, etc.
I would definitely require him to sign everything you require mom to sign.

I would also give him a copy of the handbook too.

He is required to follow all the same rules and policies too so.... even the payment part is relevant to him...he needs to know when to get the money to mom so it's paid on time.

I would absolutely have BOTH parents sign everything.
Reply
SilverSabre25 10:29 AM 02-13-2014
Does anyone put a section in their handbook regarding divorced couples and how you manage it?
Reply
Cat Herder 10:53 AM 02-13-2014
I contract with the parent who has Primary Physical, only.

*** They picked each other and can figure out their own way to co-parent. ***

I can still do this because my State has not jumped on the 50/50 physical bandwagon. When and if that happens I may have to figure something else out.

I'd guess the easiest way with MMK would be to alternate invoices and treat the adults binders like two seperate families?

Can you imagine terming one and not the other THAT is going to be fun... I can already see the new handbook sections "Restraining Orders" and "Parental Alienation" coming.
Reply
Annalee 10:58 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Does anyone put a section in their handbook regarding divorced couples and how you manage it?
No, I haven't, but that is really something to think about. I have had divorced families and some were very difficult. Maybe a clause in the handbook should be developed for that!!!!??????
Reply
MarinaVanessa 11:14 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Does anyone put a section in their handbook regarding divorced couples and how you manage it?
I don't put it in my handbook or contract but I do hand this out to new clients that are separated/divorced and to already enrolled clients that are going through separation/divorce.
Attached: RE When Families Separate.pdf (59.1 KB) 
Reply
Tags:50/50 custody, accusations, contract issues, divorced parents, parental alienation, stress
Reply Up