Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Required Minimum Hours Per Week?
jenh171 09:00 AM 06-28-2010
Up until now, I did not have a minimum amount of hours required for part time care. I can only have five children at a time, so it really is necessary for me to have a minimum. I'm trying to decide on a fair amount of minimum hours per week....I was thinking 15 or 20? Your input would be appreciated!
nannyde 09:04 AM 06-28-2010
Three full scheduled days minimum at the part time rate.
gbcc 09:23 AM 06-28-2010
My policy is 3 days minimum. If I have the opening and you want less you can take your chances and call wkly.
momma2girls 09:40 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
Up until now, I did not have a minimum amount of hours required for part time care. I can only have five children at a time, so it really is necessary for me to have a minimum. I'm trying to decide on a fair amount of minimum hours per week....I was thinking 15 or 20? Your input would be appreciated!
I now have a min. of 3 days/week- I used to have a child one day, and one 2 day/week.
jen 09:56 AM 06-28-2010
I do 3 days a week as well.
originalkat 09:57 AM 06-28-2010
I base my fees on days, not hours. For example I have a 3-day min. per week.
If you are going to base it on hours, I would just figure out how much you need to bring in each week from part-timers and go with that. If it is 15 or 20 hrs or whatever.
jenh171 10:38 AM 06-28-2010
i appreciate the input. thank you. i charge hourly, so i think i'll go with 20 hours minimum a week...
nannyde 10:54 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
i appreciate the input. thank you. i charge hourly, so i think i'll go with 20 hours minimum a week...
The problem I had with doing that was people would come from 8a-12p every day and just pick up right before naptime. It would be impossible to fill the noon to five time so I would be giving a slot away for half pay. If you do 20 hours make sure they are no more than three days or you will have a slot given away for half price for the same amount of work as an early departure kid.

I don't do half days. Had too many work at home parents wanting the morning hours and then take the kid home for afternoon nap.
DCMom 11:52 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The problem I had with doing that was people would come from 8a-12p every day and just pick up right before naptime. It would be impossible to fill the noon to five time so I would be giving a slot away for half pay. If you do 20 hours make sure they are no more than three days or you will have a slot given away for half price for the same amount of work as an early departure kid.

I don't do half days. Had too many work at home parents wanting the morning hours and then take the kid home for afternoon nap.
I no longer do hourly for similar reasons. My part time is based on days, but they have to be the same days. I have kids that come M/W, M/Th/F and M/W/F, M/T/W and T/W/Th ~ and each pay the daily rate for the days they come. Some come half days, but they pay for the full day.

Around here most people charge for the spot (FT), so if a family can get part-time spot they appreciate it and don't mind paying for the full day.
melissa ann 02:56 PM 06-28-2010
I have a 3 day min as well.
mac60 06:40 PM 06-28-2010
I have a 3 day min too.
Janet 10:44 AM 06-29-2010
I have the 3 day minimum as well, but I will adjust schedules to less time in care IF I get to choose the days and then I just adjust them to fit in with another family that is 3 days a week. For instance, my dcb21months is only here 1 day a week during the summer because he has older siblings to take care of him since school is out, but his mom and dad still want him to come to daycare one day a week so I got to choose the day. Now he shares a schedule with another part time dcg and it works out beautifully. Once school is back in session, he will be back to 3 days a week.
AmandasFCC 12:49 PM 06-29-2010
I also have a 3 day minimum. I explained to parents that it's very hard on the child to try to adjust to daycare rules and routines with any less than that. My only exception to that rule is drop ins, or when I don't HAVE 3 days to offer them ... And in that case I allow them to just be drop in.
Tags:minimum days per week, part time care
Reply Up