Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Appreciation?
MissAnn 05:29 AM 05-03-2011
Sorry....I have a bad attitude today....but I plan on making it a fun day anyway! I have mainly teacher's kids. They are celebrating all week, but today is teacher appreciation day. They know I am a teacher and that I take teaching seriously and they are all very happy with my preschool program. Thing is.....I think this will be the 2nd year in a row there is no mention of appreciating me. Verbal words would be enough for me!

It got to me a little bit this morning because a parent came in wanting to know what happened to her sons toe. It was an ant bite! It swelled a little....but it wasn't bad at all when he left here. I should have mentioned it....but when he left here there was nothing left of it. She said she worked and worked on it.....(not sure what that means) and now it's swollen. Not sure if it's from the ant bite or her "working" on it. She seemed angry. The she handed me her (late) check and said....have a nice day.

I couldn't help it......as soon as she was out of the driveway I muttered......and happy teacher appreciation day to you too!

Done venting....now I'm gonna have fun!
MsMe 07:19 AM 05-03-2011
Here my parents get me a samll card or gift for Provider App Day. This year it is May 6. It is the Friday before Mothers Day every year.

It doesnt get much attention so not all of my parents are aware that it even happens...but I always have a couple that remember.

Maybe they will see it too? It is always noce to get kind words from families I hope you are appricated on Provider Day.
MissAnn 07:34 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
Here my parents get me a samll card or gift for Provider App Day. This year it is May 6. It is the Friday before Mothers Day every year.

It doesnt get much attention so not all of my parents are aware that it even happens...but I always have a couple that remember.

Maybe they will see it too? It is always noce to get kind words from families I hope you are appricated on Provider Day.
that would be nice....I do know about provider appreciation day....but my parents are mainly school teachers and they don't know about it. They do know about teacher's appreciation day and week though. O'well.
Lilbutterflie 07:35 AM 05-03-2011
I really don't think many parents know about teacher appreciation or provider appreciation day; but in your case of dcp's who are teachers... sure they know!

The thing is, preschool teachers and daycare providers still get a bad rap. People still consider us "babysitters". We just get to sit around and watch kids play. Occasionally throw in some lessons on A-B-Cs and 1-2-3s. That's the mindset that still exists. But not enough to be considered a TEACHER. So, parents don't even think of us when they hear of teacher appreciation day/week. It's sad, but true.
Zoe 07:40 AM 05-03-2011
When I saw that it will be provider appreciation day, part of me got pretty bitter because I KNOW 100% that there will be no mention of appreciation from my daycare family.

Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love the kids, love the parents, and have no issues with them! They are nice to me, pay me on time with no reminders, and are understanding if I cannot accommodate them at the last minute. But that being said, at Christmas time: not a card, gift, or even a "Hey you're awesome!" It hurt a little bit.

So I'm trying to forget that there's even a day dedicated to us. Because then I'll be in a bad mood!
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 05-03-2011
When my kids were really young and attended daycare, my provider always hung a hand written sign saying:

"For those of you who gave me thoughtful gifts, cards or wonderful words of thanks and support for Provider Appreciation Day, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I truly love my job and am always grateful to hear to words of love and support from parents! Thank you!"

ALWAYS made me feel like such a heel for not remembering her birthday, provider appreciation day or teacher day or whatever day I was suppose to keep track of.....
laundrymom 08:07 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
When I saw that it will be provider appreciation day, part of me got pretty bitter because I KNOW 100% that there will be no mention of appreciation from my daycare family.

Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love the kids, love the parents, and have no issues with them! They are nice to me, pay me on time with no reminders, and are understanding if I cannot accommodate them at the last minute. But that being said, at Christmas time: not a card, gift, or even a "Hey you're awesome!" It hurt a little bit.

So I'm trying to forget that there's even a day dedicated to us. Because then I'll be in a bad mood!
Nxt year add it to your paid holidays! I do. And before anyone says " but my parents have to work that day, they need me. ". No they don't tell them Friday that it is CPAD and that next year to celebrate you are taking it off and gifting yourself to a manicure and lunch with your best friend.

That gives them a year to plan for it and get used to the idea. :-)
nannyde 08:15 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I really don't think many parents know about teacher appreciation or provider appreciation day; but in your case of dcp's who are teachers... sure they know!

The thing is, preschool teachers and daycare providers still get a bad rap. People still consider us "babysitters". We just get to sit around and watch kids play. Occasionally throw in some lessons on A-B-Cs and 1-2-3s. That's the mindset that still exists. But not enough to be considered a TEACHER. So, parents don't even think of us when they hear of teacher appreciation day/week. It's sad, but true.
I'm a babysitter and proud of it.

I don't think that's a negative connotation at all. I don't EVER want to be called teacher. I'm not qualified to teach. I don't have a teachers education.

We just get to sit around and watch kids play. Yes we do and it's a great job.
MissAnn 08:22 AM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm a babysitter and proud of it.

I don't think that's a negative connotation at all. I don't EVER want to be called teacher. I'm not qualified to teach. I don't have a teachers education.

We just get to sit around and watch kids play. Yes we do and it's a great job.
I'm just the opposite....I am a teacher and quite proud of it. My parents (who are teachers) know their kids are getting a quality education. I do have a degree in early childhood education....but even when I didn't, I taught....I did a good job....and I considered myself a teacher. Anyone who calls me a babysitter gets a big ol' lecture from me. lol
MsMe 08:24 AM 05-03-2011
I am a Daycare provider and not a teacher I see a BIG differance. We have a three day festival this week every year and I close at Noon Thursday and Friday and everyoen is so busy getting this readya nd their kids where they need to be that week that it often gets overlooked, but I have a great group of parents who show me their appriciation all year long.

I have no turn over (only three have ever moved away) and the children I care for come to me as infants and only leave when they are allowed to stay home alone after school (12) so I have a very close relationship with all of my parents. All remember the date they started in my care and this is usualy the day that they use as their provider apprication day
Christian Mother 02:11 PM 05-03-2011
Miss Ann..Happy Teacher/Provider Appreciate Week!! Wish I could send you flowers!!

My daycare families have never wished me a happy appreciate week either. I am not sure they even know the date. I didn't even know the date.

I am usually the one who celebrates all holidays and birthdays and shows appreciation to the parents. I have a couple parents that do something nice for me on Christmas and one parent is always wonderful about providing snacks and what ever I need for daycare...I am sooo appreciative...I never ask they just provide..it's wonderful!!

I would like to do something for my children's teacher...and also for one of my parents who is a teacher. Can you give me any advise on what I can do that is fun, creative, not to expensive? Maybe even send some pictures or links to web sights....I work well if I have a image...
MissAnn 03:05 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Miss Ann..Happy Teacher/Provider Appreciate Week!! Wish I could send you flowers!!

My daycare families have never wished me a happy appreciate week either. I am not sure they even know the date. I didn't even know the date.

I am usually the one who celebrates all holidays and birthdays and shows appreciation to the parents. I have a couple parents that do something nice for me on Christmas and one parent is always wonderful about providing snacks and what ever I need for daycare...I am sooo appreciative...I never ask they just provide..it's wonderful!!

I would like to do something for my children's teacher...and also for one of my parents who is a teacher. Can you give me any advise on what I can do that is fun, creative, not to expensive? Maybe even send some pictures or links to web sights....I work well if I have a image...
I guess I haven't been all that creative when it comes to my kids teachers......I always sent a great big candy bar! Since this week is also Mother's Day....that's what I've been working on for my parents (most are teachers).....the kids put their thumbprints on the tile in the shape of a caterpillar. They painted grass underneath. I wrote at the top..... I <3 (heart) U. I've also let the kids dictate emails to their moms every day. The say funny things....one boy said Mommy, I love you so much because you spank me. I just write what they say. Some moms email back and that makes the kids day! I don't really care about gifts....but I love personalized cards that say exactly why parents appreciate me. Makes me feel good inside. I got onto facebook today and sent messages to some of my kids past teachers to tell them they made a difference in my kids lives. My kids are 23 and 18. My son is graduating this year.
Kaddidle Care 05:49 PM 05-03-2011
I didn't expect anything and I wasn't disappointed.

Our Director had a lovely assortment of bagels and fixings for us all and a BIG chocolate bar in our mail bins! Woot! She rocks!

From the parents - nothing but I didn't expect anything. Now I feel bad that I didn't send anything in for my Son's Teacher. D'oh!
cheerfuldom 06:00 PM 05-03-2011
I have never heard of provider appreciation day. My current parents are quite good to me though. I got baby shower gifts from all four parents even though none came to the shower (my sister sent them invites). Two of the gifts were super nice though, probably around $50 each. I have definitely benefited from specifically interviewing for a certain type of family. No they aren't perfect and neither am I but the working relationships are 100% better than my original set of families four years ago.
PitterPatter 06:30 PM 05-03-2011
We always send a big potted flower or hanging basket with a card.
Abigail 06:38 PM 05-03-2011
If you hang up a monthly calendar or have one posted, I would write Provider Appreciation Day on it!
Tags:bad day, teacher appreciation
Reply Up