Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Some POSITIVE
wahmof3 07:04 AM 02-24-2012
Its been a terrible terrible day. I have never felt like closing my program like I do today. I'm so fed up with the irresponsibility of my DCP. EVERY family has pushed my buttons today.

On a positive note, I'm to the point where I just don't care if I step on anyones toes. So if they're breaking policy, then they're going to know. Like this morning DCD is POUNDING on my door, I don't open until 7:30. He was 10 minutes early before I opened & 25 minutes earlier then contracted drop off !!! My dh works nights and doesn't get home until 2am, well he woke him up well I opened the door at 7:30 (yes, I let him stand on my front porch until I was finished getting ready- until I opened), dcb normally arrives at 7:45. I said wow your early, he said oh I didn't know what time dcm brings him & I'm actually running late Then I said do you have my check? Um no dcm will have it when she picks him up. Me: well you know our contract states fees are due at DROP OFF the last day your child is in attendance for the week. He didn't respond. The positive you ask: my backbone is getting stronger, I'm to the point I don't care- my business MY RULES

So I have a LIST of other things that I have been struggling with today & would like my friends here to remind me of the reasons they stay in this business!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 02-24-2012
CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!

You have officially reached the point where using your backbone is now easier than venting and letting folks walk all over you!!!! I promise that things will now be a lot easier and much more enjoyable.

I would also have a stern and serious talk with the wife of your early door pounder!
SunshineMama 07:13 AM 02-24-2012
It's sad that this business makes you have to turn into a green eyed monster sometimes just to get people to follow the rules that they agreed to in the first place. I am frustrated today too

On a positive note: This job does allow you to be with your own children during the day, and have control over your activities throughout the day. The grass is always greener on the other side- I promise you that if you worked for someone else, you would be just as irritated about other things
Lilbutterflie 07:21 AM 02-24-2012
I'm so sorry you are having a terrible day! We ALL have them, but it really sucks when that day is Friday! Fridays are supposed to be happy days!

I really really hate when DCPs set off your day that way. I would have been really really angry, too. I guess for whatever reason the DCD decided to drop off instead of DCM and he didn't even bother to find out what time he should drop off; or what time you even open!! Not to mention they didn't bother to let you know that they had a change of plans. I am so happy that you let him knock on your door until your opening time... that is great. Just like any other business, doors do NOT open until opening time!! And to boot, he didn't have your check. It is always my experience that the women always have the checkbook, and the DCDs never seem on top of paying on time.

I had a family drop off ONE HOUR before contracted time a couple weeks ago. Their contracted time is 8:15, and I don't have any kids until 7:45. I was taking my DD to school and when I came home; my husband was holding DCG in his arms. Apparently she dropped off at 7:20, my husband answered the door and accepted her!! I can't blame my husband b/c for all he knew we had arranged an early drop off. But DCM didn't even question why I wasn't there and just handed DCG to my DH. I was sooo livid. I called her and told her she totally threw me off with her early drop off; and in the future she must arrange early drop offs with me in advance. It totally threw my day off b/c I couldn't believe how disrespectful it was to drop off so early without discussing it first. She apologized and ever since, she has been very communicative with me about any changes in plans.
Sunchimes 07:22 AM 02-24-2012
My sympathies. My new backbone crumbled last night, so I envy yours.

So, a few reasons I love this job.
1. I was watching the almost toddler run around the yard yesterday and remembered that when I got her, she was learning to crawl.
2. Saying something to the almost-toddlers out of habit, and realizing that this time, they actually understood what you said and responded.
3. Watching their face when they hear a train and for the first time, make the train sign.
4. Watching them pick up toys without complaint.
5. Hugs, even if they are slightly drooly and maybe a bit boogery.
6. Have the luxury of a one child day and getting to sit in the rocking chair and rock and read to a little one.
7. Seeing the little one discover an ant for the first time.

I can keep going if you need more.

Hope things get better today.
wahmof3 07:45 AM 02-24-2012
Thanks for all the words of encouragement!!!

I keep telling myself where can I go & make decent money (when they pay me lol) and still be able to be home for MY kids?????

Sometimes my train veers off the track & I just need someone to help me get back on it

Thanks again- yes its been a long long day, but its FRIDAY right????
Cat Herder 08:05 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!

You have officially reached the point where using your backbone is now easier than venting and letting folks walk all over you!!!! I promise that things will now be a lot easier and much more enjoyable.

!
This is so true....

It is all uphill from here.
nannyde 09:36 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Its been a terrible terrible day. I have never felt like closing my program like I do today. I'm so fed up with the irresponsibility of my DCP. EVERY family has pushed my buttons today.

On a positive note, I'm to the point where I just don't care if I step on anyones toes. So if they're breaking policy, then they're going to know. Like this morning DCD is POUNDING on my door, I don't open until 7:30. He was 10 minutes early before I opened & 25 minutes earlier then contracted drop off !!! My dh works nights and doesn't get home until 2am, well he woke him up well I opened the door at 7:30 (yes, I let him stand on my front porch until I was finished getting ready- until I opened), dcb normally arrives at 7:45. I said wow your early, he said oh I didn't know what time dcm brings him & I'm actually running late Then I said do you have my check? Um no dcm will have it when she picks him up. Me: well you know our contract states fees are due at DROP OFF the last day your child is in attendance for the week. He didn't respond. The positive you ask: my backbone is getting stronger, I'm to the point I don't care- my business MY RULES

So I have a LIST of other things that I have been struggling with today & would like my friends here to remind me of the reasons they stay in this business!!!!!!!
It's a good thing that you said something to him about both the check and early arrival. That's a step....

But in the end, he was able to drop off early and not follow your policies on payment. He was able to say the word "late" and that excluded him from taking the kids back off of your property and going to fetch the payment.

From an experienced providers POV, he got what he wanted and all he had to do was escalate his situation to you with his words and he was home free. If you allow parents to just SAY something to you to get out of their end then you have to understand that they will learn to just do THAT.

He should have apologized up one side and down the other for coming SO early and he should have offered to leave and go back to get your pay WITH his kids with him. Instead he spent a few seconds saying a few words to you to bolster his position and it worked. He doesn't have the luxury to NOT know your pay is due and the earliest time his kids can go into your care. It's his JOB to know that before he even pulls out of his driveway.

Just a word of advice.... Whenever you tell a parent they are early or late... use the word "REALLY" with it even if it's five minutes. That lets them know that every minute means a lot to you. They don't know what "daycare" time means.
wahmof3 01:09 PM 02-24-2012
Update on my bad day: DCM of child that was dropped off early today, came in & apologized like crazy & handed me my fee with $15 extra dollars in it for showing up early today.

Crazy Crazy Day!
littlemissmuffet 06:51 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Update on my bad day: DCM of child that was dropped off early today, came in & apologized like crazy & handed me my fee with $15 extra dollars in it for showing up early today.

Crazy Crazy Day!

HAPPY FRIDAY!
Tags:bad day, positive, tgif
Reply Up