Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye - My Child...
SunflowerMama 05:46 AM 05-16-2011
So my daughter (4) woke up with a crusty eye and my first guess was pink eye. I get a text an hour later from a dcm that she's keeping her child home b/c they went to the doctor Saturday and have pink eye. Ugg

My husband is staying upstairs with both my girls (I'm sure my other dd will be next) until he can get them an appointment.

What do you do with something so contagious? I've texted the other parents and they are deciding whether to bring their children or not. I already have 3 staying home (sibling of the dck with pink eye and then a 3rd dck as a safety precaution).

What would you do?
countrymom 06:01 AM 05-16-2011
my ds had pink eye and no one else got it. Heck we were travelling to florida and confined to the van and no one got it. I don't think its as contagious as it was thought before. I would just recommend good hand washing. My ds probably got it from dragging boogers from his nose to his eye (you know how kids wipe thier noses) get some ointment or drops and by tommorrow everything should be fine.
SimpleMom 06:26 AM 05-16-2011
wash hands a lot. Here they can't come with it at all--licensing requlations. My kids have all had it. I've had it. I actually use something called Silver to cure it.

It can be common. I just tell praents my rules that i need to follow and we work through it.
SimpleMom 06:26 AM 05-16-2011
wash hands a lot. Here they can't come with it at all--licensing requlations. My kids have all had it. I've had it. I actually use something called Silver to cure it.

It can be common. I just tell praents my rules that i need to follow and we work through it.
MN Day Mom 06:41 AM 05-16-2011
At this point closing won't prevent the other kids from getting it. Your daughter and the other child were both probably contagious already last week.

I just recently had pink eye go through my daycare... good hand washing is a must! I didn't close, but rather had the child who was infected stay home until on the drops for at least 24 hours and no oozing from the eyes.

Good luck!!
SunflowerMama 06:53 AM 05-16-2011
I just don't know how to seperate my child today until she's on her drops for 24 hrs since she's 4. She can't be upstairs by herself (per licensing) and I don't have any seperate room on the main floor that I could stick her in.
MarinaVanessa 06:57 AM 05-16-2011
I suppose it depends on the ages of your kids and of the DC kids that got pink eye and whether or not they touched DC things. The smaller the child, the more likely it is that they scratched an eye and touched a surface or toy with it. If you've already left the other parents the option to decide for themselves then I would still disinfect all of the DC furniture, surfaces and toys.
SunflowerMama 07:06 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I suppose it depends on the ages of your kids and of the DC kids that got pink eye and whether or not they touched DC things. The smaller the child, the more likely it is that they scratched an eye and touched a surface or toy with it. If you've already left the other parents the option to decide for themselves then I would still disinfect all of the DC furniture, surfaces and toys.
I have one that is 23 months and the rest are ages 3 - 5. I'm just going to have them play in one room and clean the other and once that is dry have them switch rooms.
Symphony 07:57 AM 05-16-2011
When I have anything in my own kids that would exclude a daycare child from care, if it is my younger children who need me and cannot be apart, I close. If it is my older children, they are capable of staying upstairs (which is strictly our family's area) then I stay open.

If my kids are sick, but not so sick I would have to exclude them, I will notify parents of the symptoms and what action I have and will be taking. That way they can make their own decision. Most of them still come, which is fine, I just feel better being upfront with what is happening in our home before they arrive.
GretasLittleFriends 08:22 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
If my kids are sick, but not so sick I would have to exclude them, I will notify parents of the symptoms and what action I have and will be taking. That way they can make their own decision. Most of them still come, which is fine, I just feel better being upfront with what is happening in our home before they arrive.
I do the same thing for all of my kids, ages 1, 6 and 15. The 6 and 15 yr olds are quarantined to either their or my room. The 6 yr old doesn't have a tv in his room, but I do... The little one, well, she's impossible to exclude/quarantine so I leave it up to the dcps and let them decide.
PitterPatter 08:27 AM 05-16-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
When I have anything in my own kids that would exclude a daycare child from care, if it is my younger children who need me and cannot be apart, I close. If it is my older children, they are capable of staying upstairs (which is strictly our family's area) then I stay open.

This is exactly how I manage also.

BUT I have a couple DCMs that will try to bring their kids no matter what the illness is. I don't get it. I mean yeah they bring thier kid ill all the time and we have to bicker over it but u would think when there is an illness like the flu with fever and vomiting or strep throat etc they wouldn't want the kid here around it but a couple try to bring them anyway saying they don't think their kid will get it. So then I put it point blank, No! daycare is closed today for everyone, my child needs my attention!
Cat Herder 11:07 AM 05-16-2011
Here they just have to stay out until 24 hours after first dose of antibiotic. We are to have the parent of any effected DCK fill out a medication form and give the drops ourselves during the daycare hours for the duration of treatment.

That is the CDC Guideline. It is one of the "lesser" exclusions.
Tags:pink eye, sick provider children
Reply Up