Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Afterschool Routines
JJPlaycare 05:58 AM 09-10-2012
When do you read and do homework with your own children? Im having a hard time getting a routine down with my two school age kids, please let me know how you all do this. My kids get here at 3:45 and I have daycare until 5pm. We are usually outside when my kids get off the bus and then when daycare gets done, we come in make supper, eat, bathe and then try to fit in all our reading and homework and they go to bed at 7:30 because they have to get up for the bus at 6am. Please help me figure out a good routine for them, so it doesn't seem so rushed with reading/homework time!
JJPlaycare 06:34 PM 09-11-2012
Is anyone willing to share?
SilverSabre25 06:52 PM 09-11-2012
DD gets off the bus at 3:39. She's in kindergarten, so take this with that in mind, but...

we come home and eat snack. While they eat, I check her backpack. right now she only gets work on Fridays but still. This routine isn't likely to change in future years, and I mean to start having her practice some worksheets and stuff. But anyway, I digress.

After snack is over (by 4 or shortly after) we go outside. We come in around 5ish and I start dinner--this is the time that she'll do homework and practice pages and stuff--at the kitchen table with me cooking and cleaning up in the kitchen.

We'll read together before bed. Usually one chapter of a chapter book or several picture books. DH has this idea that she can only have one I read for about twenty minutes, whatever we get done in that time. She goes to bed around 8. We fit baths and family time where we can and it works, for us.
melskids 04:05 AM 09-12-2012
My boys get home @ 4:00.

We have snack and play outside until my DC kids get picked up. It is jsut too stressful to try and get homework or go through papers with little ones here. I take the time to just talk with my boys, and let them unwind from the day.

After the last kiddos gets picked up (515 or so) I start dinner while the boys do homework. I go through book bags, and papers to be signed, etc. Then we usually eat by 6:00.

6:30 I'm cleaning up the kitchen, making lunches for the next day, etc.

7:00 my younger son takes his bath, my teenage son insists on showering in the a.m.

Then we are free to hang out together for the rest of the night. My younger son is in bed by 8:30. We actually have to get up at 5:30/5:45 (our bus comes @ 645!!!!)
Soccermom 10:49 AM 09-13-2012
As per some suggestions from other daycare moms here, we have started doing homework club in the afternoons which I am LOVING. We are able to get most of the homework done before supper and then we use the evening to do reading and studying for about 20 minutes before we put on PJs. My current routine, thanks to some input from this forum is this -
Last bus arrives at 3pm. We do snack, outdoor time until 4pm and then homework club for 20 minutes. I drink my coffee and make myself available to the kids if they need help. The kids who don't want to do homework club need to play quietly and I prepare a quiet activity for the ones who are too little. (Coloring, looking at books, 20 minute TV program).
I close at 5pm. I prepare supper ahead of time so it is ready promptly at 5h30. We eat. My kids go out to play for about 30 min. after supper while I clean the kitchen. Then we do bath and reading/studying until 7pm. 7pm-7:30pm is snack and television until bed.
Hope this helps
Oneluckymom 01:45 PM 09-13-2012
UGGGHHH...I have NO choice, my DS(2nd grade) needs to start HW at around 3m because he takes SOOOO long to get it done sometimes. He can be VERY good at stalling on HW.

But then there are days that he sits own and gets it done in 20min....go figure!

But it IS hard with littles running around and my DS is easily distracted at HW time. We plan on setting up a quiet area with a couple of desks for my DS and DD to do there HW and studying ...sooner than later I hope.
Country Kids 01:49 PM 09-13-2012
I'm in the same boat. We are lucky to get it started by 7! Its usually later and I hate every minute of it, every minute.

I was actually thinking of sending a letter to the superintendent and asking why send it home if the kids don't understand it and the parents don't understand it. Whats the point!!!!
Oneluckymom 03:00 PM 09-13-2012
What gets me is when they bring home a worksheet and there is little to no instruction on the sheet !! We have to just figure it out! So frustrating!
Tags:after school program, homework, provider children
Reply Up