Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am So Mad
MamaBear 07:46 PM 09-13-2013
This is kinda long so bear with me... And I apologize if I sound crazy cause I'm SO mad right now.

Some of you may remember my posting a couple weeks ago about a DCG that had choked on something at a restaurant while with her mom over the weekend & she didn't know what to do so the busser had smacked her back & it came out... Well this is about her.

So that Monday morning at drop off, the mom tells me that because the DCG had choked, that now she had a weird cough - but it was ONLY related to the choking she said. I sent her home that day early because she sounded so awful. She was coughing a lot, gagging when she swallowed to the point of almost throwing up. I advised her to take her to the dr because I was afraid she may have really hurt her throat with that trauma.

The DCM kept her home the next day and said she was "all better" that night. She brings her back the next day and turns out she never took her to get checked by a dr. She said she was all better so it wasn't necessary. I gave her the speech about I needed a dr's note and blah blah blah... but she swore she was better and didn't need to. That she was sure it was just a scratchy throat from choking. I let it go - but I shouldn't have. Although she did sound a lot better.

Fast forward to the end of the week. One of my other DCG's (a 10 month old) starts getting sick. The mom takes her to the DR and finds out she has Croup and Thrush! UGH. I start thinking that the other mom lied about the choking and probably had croup to keep her being able to come here. I'm very suspicious of everyone obviously.

My DCG with Croup stays home all week because the mom wanted to keep her home. I ask the DCM of the girl that choked if she could possibly have had croup because her symptoms were the same as what the baby was having (gagging while eating, gross bark cough, etc). She said "oh no - it was just from the choking". I tell her that I wish she had taken her to the dr because we would have known for sure. At this point, I am starting to think she might have taken her to the dr but didnt want to tell me the real diagnosis. Grrrrr...

So last Friday at pick up, this same DCM (of the choking girl) tells me that her 4 yr old (that doesnt come here) got sent home early from his preschool because the teachers think he has pink eye. She was about to take him to the dr. Fast forward to Monday... Monday she comes to drop off DCG and I asked her if the brother did indeed have pink eye. She said no he didnt after all and even told me how mad she was at his school for sending him home when he didnt have it. Hmmm...

So fast forward to today, Friday. I only have one child here today and it's THE DCG. I'm about to put her down to nap - I take off her glasses - and look at her face... her one eye is super puffy, red and bugery! UGH! She has pink eye!!!

I call the mom and she picks her up. She says "Good thing I still have my son's meds for this!" I said "oh no - You NEED to take her to the dr because you dont know if this is viral or bacterial - and her treatment might be different". She said she'd "TRY" to get an appt... this is her famous line. So I said "She HAS to go to the dr, she HAS to get a dr's note, she HAS to get on antibiotics or whatever meds they give her and she has to be 100% better before she returns... no eye boogers, no redness, oozing, itching, etc". She looked so mad at me for telling her this!!! She was just silent. What the frig? Am I wrong. No I dont think so!

THEN it hits me... WAIT A MINUTE... I said "I thought you said your son didnt have pink eye! You said the dr said he didnt have it?!?!" She starts fumbling on her words and says "Oh well the dr said it was so minor and that he wasn't sure if he had it".... OKAY! Really?

So she leaves quickly at that point and texts me an hour or two later. She says that she did indeed have Bacterial Pink Eye. She apologizes and then tells me "Well at least if anyone else gets it - it will help their immune systems gets stronger" WTH??? I respond with "It will totally suck if anyone else gets it... the infants, the other kids, my family, ME... If I get it and have to close daycare all next week... yeah that will really suck... for everyone!"

So basically I am about 100% sure she lied to me about the choking. I dont think that ever happened. When she was telling me the story, she wouldn't look me in the face, kept stumbling on her words, when I asked her what she choked on - she didnt seem to know the answer... It was lame. Now thinking back to everything about her and that conversation... she was TOTALLY lying. She was blaming the nasty croup cough on the choking so she could still bring her. And because she didnt tell me the truth, then this other baby gets sick with croup and her mom is out of work for a week.

And NOW I have a possible pink eye outbreak because she chose to lie to me that her son had it and that her daughter might have it. And HOW in the world did she not notice it? She looked awful. The only reason I didnt notice it for awhile this morning was because she wears glasses and its hard to see her eyes. I only take her glasses off at naptime.

SO I am annoyed... and angry... and HATE being lied to.

I had to send an email to all my other daycare parents so that they are aware of the symptoms and what to look for... and apologize to them in case they get it. I also updated my sick policy to address the situation with siblings... Just saying something like if a daycare child has a sibling that is diagnosed with a contagious illness... they must let me know so I can be on the look out for the daycare child having symptoms and also that I strongly advise them to take BOTH children to the dr if the other sibling has something.

I really hate being lied to. Isn't it the worst thing everrrr?!?!?! Okay... time for a glass of wine. Thanks for listening to my rant!
JoseyJo 08:12 PM 09-13-2013
I hope you are going to term this family! Man, I hate to term anyone but I sure would in this case...
MamaBear 08:26 PM 09-13-2013
I'm trying to decide what to do. My first impulse is terminate. But then at the same time shes been a great DCG to have here - super easy and I never have problems with the parents before this. Always pay on time... great hours, etc.

I sent my other daycare parents an email just letting them know that their child may have been exposed and what symptoms to look for. Then I emailed the mom and told her that I let everyone know - not who - but what is going on so that they are aware. She just responded to me and seemed upset... again. She said something like "Oh great - now everyone is probably freaking out. I never would have brought her if I knew that her brother or her had pink eye. I'm so sorry".

I dont even know how to respond to this because first she told me he didnt have it... then a couple hours ago she tells me that oh yeah - he did have it... and now he didnt have it. She cant even keep track of her lies at this point. ughhh.
lovemylife 08:38 PM 09-13-2013
That really stinks!!!!! Pink eye is sooooo contagious, honestly it is a phobia of mine! My daughter had it in February, I was freaking out! I disinfected so much that week! Thank goodness no one in the daycare or my family got it!!
mema 08:38 PM 09-13-2013
I hope it doesn't spread for you or the others. If you decide against terming, I would let her know that if she brings sick again, it is instant termination. Poor baby. Dealing with "croup" and not being able to be home all comfy. Shame on dcm.
JoseyJo 08:46 PM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
I hope it doesn't spread for you or the others. If you decide against terming, I would let her know that if she brings sick again, it is instant termination. Poor baby. Dealing with "croup" and not being able to be home all comfy. Shame on dcm.

Familycare71 08:51 PM 09-13-2013
I don't go straight to terming- but if she lied about her daughter choking and then lied about the pink eye... I'd be getting a second job before dealing with this woman again!! That is crazy!!
She isn't going to change- she just got caught this time. If you keep her you now know what to expect!
to you for dealing with this!!! I'm for you!
MamaBear 10:23 PM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I don't go straight to terming- but if she lied about her daughter choking and then lied about the pink eye... I'd be getting a second job before dealing with this woman again!! That is crazy!!
She isn't going to change- she just got caught this time. If you keep her you now know what to expect!
to you for dealing with this!!! I'm for you!
Thank you
Shell 04:43 AM 09-14-2013
Terrible! I am mad for you, too. I think you did everything right and I'm glad she apologized. I would consider terming too - she seems to only care about her own needs
Maria2013 05:26 AM 09-14-2013
I'm very sorry this has happened to you

Every time I read of terrible incidents, I prepare myself in case it happens to me, so thank you very much for posting this

I hope this parent learns from this too, and termination wont be necessary
Leigh 09:07 AM 09-14-2013
I tell parents at my interview that I am flexible with many situations, but if they lie to me and I find out, I will end my care services the MOMENT I find out, with NO exceptions. No way would I let her keep pulling that crap on me.
Tags:parent - lie, pink eye, pink eye policy
Reply Up