Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:20 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Interview Tonight... Should I Run from This Family?

Prospective parents asked if I carry liability insurance and who would pay for an ambulance.

Same parents asked how long I've been doing what I do and when I said 2.5 years, they asked if I've worked in early childhood before.

They are looking to start late July and were asking me if I have spots and I told them that I'm not sure, but it's hard to say. They have 2.5 year old twins.

They also asked where my kids were.

They asked their kids if they wanted to leave versus saying something like "Ok, it's time to go" or something similar, like what I would say. They said something about how they avoid dairy and I mentioned at the beginning that if they have an allergy or special diet that the parents would need to supply all food.

Should I run from this family? lmao.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Run!!! Far,far away from their precious snowflakes.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

if you ask that question you know the answer.
so, do what should be done. I mean RUN!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

Good to know.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Keep interviewing and go with the best fit. If your gut is making you pause with this one I'd say listen to it.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

While I understand why people want/ask about insurance, that question would get a big fat "pass" from me.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
While I understand why people want/ask about insurance, that question would get a big fat "pass" from me.
Can you elaborate?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix23 View Post
Can you elaborate?
Liability insurance is business necessity. No doubt.
However, I firmly believe that it should not replace medical insurance and that medical insurance should be covering Johnny's tooth he knocked out after being told 18000 times to stop jumping on toys. I think it's ludicrous that just because Johnny's on my property, my insurance should pay for it and my premiums be affected especially when I took all the steps within my ability to prevent it.

It's not the way I was raised (make everyone else pay for your mistakes). I know others feel differently and it should just be a part of doing business. I don't feel that way.

So, someone asking if I have liability, makes me feel they are relying on it and looking to make a claim with any/every little thing that happens.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
There’s a few articles online that say what questions to ask a daycare provider and it always says to ask About insurance. The fact that they elaborated about paying for ambulance makes me think they either had an experience or someone near to them did.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Prospective parents asked if I carry liability insurance and who would pay for an ambulance.

Same parents asked how long I've been doing what I do and when I said 2.5 years, they asked if I've worked in early childhood before.

They are looking to start late July and were asking me if I have spots and I told them that I'm not sure, but it's hard to say. They have 2.5 year old twins.

They also asked where my kids were.

They asked their kids if they wanted to leave versus saying something like "Ok, it's time to go" or something similar, like what I would say. They said something about how they avoid dairy and I mentioned at the beginning that if they have an allergy or special diet that the parents would need to supply all food.

Wow
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst View Post
if you ask that question you know the answer.
so, do what should be done. I mean RUN!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

How did it go? I would probably avoid them. They should not be asking about "your" children either. Big red flag that they are probably busybodies. I got stuck with a family like this for WAY too long. So glad I finally termed.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:

After a TON of books and 2.5 years in the business as well as being good at what you do, one would think that you'd be beyond needing to ask this question.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM

So i have a weird question. Can i tell parents i dont carry liability insurance (not required where i live) have them sign the form thats required stating i dont have it. BUT actually have it in case something major happens? I feel like i wouldnt be bothered if they think i dont have it, like they wouldnt think to ask me to help pay (for a small thing) vs them knowing i carry and like someone stated, have me pay for Johnnys tooth he knocked out from disobeying a rule.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:05 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
After a TON of books and 2.5 years in the business as well as being good at what you do, one would think that you'd be beyond needing to ask this question.
Mostly cause I try not to judge people too swiftly but usually I am right with my intuition.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

The ambulance question is a pretty big red flag. Don't they carry health insurance for their child?

And the talk about avoiding dairy sounds like they're trying to soften you up without actually coming out and asking. They are probably planning to start putting pressure on you later.

If people want to get all nit-picky about their kid's diets or whatever for unnecessary reasons, they need to stay home with their own kids or train a nanny.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
So i have a weird question. Can i tell parents i dont carry liability insurance (not required where i live) have them sign the form thats required stating i dont have it. BUT actually have it in case something major happens? I feel like i wouldnt be bothered if they think i dont have it, like they wouldnt think to ask me to help pay (for a small thing) vs them knowing i carry and like someone stated, have me pay for Johnnys tooth he knocked out from disobeying a rule.
That's what I do. I don't even tell licensing that I'm insured.

Tags
interview, interview - from hell