Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Advice On Illness Policy...
fitsngiggles18 10:22 PM 12-06-2014
Here's some background.... my daughter was sick from throwing up last Tuesday night. I called my dcp to let them know and to keep and eye on there little ones. No one was sick prior to my daughter getting sick...to my knowledge. One dcp had tonsillitis and was home for a week, but I don't know if something can be carried from their child to mine.... anyway... I closed the next day to take care of my daughter and disinfect my house. Fast forward to this week...starting on Monday I noticed a child not her self very fussy, but no fever and no really sick symptoms to speak of other than being really difficult to console and keep happy. I kept parents up to date on what I was seeing....oh she didn't have an appetite either. I kept telling them she doesn't seem well, but they kept saying she's fine when they have her at home. I continue to take her because she didn't have a fever or diarrhea... I regret this looking back.... Wednesday she has a kind of diarrhea and still quite fussy throughout the day. Thursday she has 3 diarrhea poops between 7 and noon. I called and dcc was picked up. My policy is they stay home for 24 hours after symptoms are gone. Well noon the next day she hadn't pooped so they asked if they could bring her....based on my policy I felt I should even though I knew she was still sick. I allowed her to come against my better judgment and she had 2 diarrhea poops before she was picked up. The mom laughed at me when I told her when she came to pick up because while child was in their care she never pooped. They didn't think she was sick. I get a text from different dc family later that night, their child is throwing up. How do I get it across to families that regardless of what they think their child might have... I see them all day everyday and when I say they are sick I'm not making it up?!? I honestly feel this parent thinks I was just trying to get out of watching her child. Keep in mind this parent is 19 years old. No judgement here...great parents, just young enough to be somewhat naive maybe?!

I have another question having to do with sick days... this same family is upset that they paid for the day I closed due to my child throwing up. She feels if she should have to find back up care, I should do the same. In my defense...if I were to be open their kids would be exposed to my daughter's illness in my home even if I found back up care for here. Do you charge for closure due to you or your child being sick, and dcc being sick? This parent claims she has called around to other daycares in the area and they don't charge when they have to close to their child being sick or they find back up care.

Currently I offer one day a month free of charge if their child is sick. This parent doesn't mind paying when her child is sick only if I close and charge them for it.

I apologize for such a long message. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you
Rachel 04:19 AM 12-07-2014
When my older kids are sick (ages 6.5 - 10.5), I tell them my kid is sick and my child has to stay away from the kids in the daycare (I have a gated off LR / DR for the DCK so this isn't too hard). If there was something really nasty like barf eveywhere I would probably close, but regular illness my older ones are old enough to stay on the computer and away from DCK. If my 2 year old is sick, I get backup care or take an unpaid sick day (more expensive for me). The way the system works here is every kid has a backup and I pay the backup and the backup takes the child.

As far as the "he hasn't pooped in 24 hours" child, we have a new rule this year. The child has to be home for one full day with no symptoms. So if I send a kid on Monday, at 8am or at 4pm I say *if* there is no diarrhea on Tuesday, *then* you can bring on Wednesday. Same with fever (and I add "and you didn't give meds"). So the child has to be one full day at home (not 24 hours) with no symptoms and then can return.
fitsngiggles18 09:37 AM 12-07-2014
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback!
daycare 11:15 AM 12-07-2014
I tell parents that I rather be safe than sorry. I am not a doctor and can't diagnosis a child,so its always best to go that route.

I would have also told them that if the child is not able to participate as normal they need to go home. this includes, overly tired, fussy, not eating, lack of appetite, pale etc.

as for the sick days, I never close when my kids are sick. I have my husband stay home with them or now that they are older they stay in their room.

I also would stop giving the sick days. charge no matter what.

if I do have to close for illness, I give a credit/ no charge

However, I do have in my policy this year that I can take up to 3 paid personal days off for illness, doctors and etc.

I also have in my policy that they must stay home for a full day of rest and can return when they are 100% free of any symptoms.
fitsngiggles18 05:43 PM 12-07-2014
Thank you!
Tags:illness - provider's child, sick child, sick policy - provider children
Reply Up