Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Family Home Daycare Questions
angelpayne24 09:50 AM 02-02-2011
Our local Child Care Directions Resource Office closed down last month I just recently found out. I was hoping to get my License soon and so I did turn in my request for an application from Raleigh NC. But until I hear back I have no one to ask questions. So I was hoping to get some help from you nice people.

I have 4 children of my own, and our state law says, I can have 4 more kids that are not related to me. I am in the process of getting a room built onto my house to have the "daycare" room in. There is a 25 square foot per child requirement. I don't think I have much of a problem meeting that requirement as it will be a 19 x 15 foot room. With that being said, will they count the area they sleep in or where my desk, fridge, and counter are?

Here is a sketch to my soon to be room:
http://i56.tinypic.com/11u870y.jpg

Any comments on it would be great too, thanks!

Other questions I had were, since I do have 4 kids, I cannot imagine making my 10, 9, 6, and 5 year old stay in that room with me once they get off the bus in the afternoon. They will want to go to their rooms and do their homework, eat snack in the kitchen and watch T.V. in the livingroom. Will all these areas of the house be Inspected, since my kids will be using this area? All daycare kids will stay in the daycare room and not allowed in my house. I would like to keep it as seperate as possible. But I'm concerned about the inspection part. I am not saying I won't be keeping an eye on MY children either. lol. There is two windows and a door that will be looking into my livingroom and kitchen so I can see them. Any help would be great, thank you!
AnythingsPossible 10:20 AM 02-02-2011
From my understanding, the space is calculated with usable floor space, so just because your room is 19x15 they will not use that as your space, they will take out the space used for stationary objects. My inspector measured from the wall to my sofa, and such.
I saw a changing station, but no bathroom, so will the kids need to go into your home to use the bathroom? If so, that area will be inspected as well. In my experience, area's not used for daycare have not been inspected. But if they are accessible to children, they will. My bedroom is off the daycare bathroom, if I don't want my inspector to look at my room, I have to have a toddler lock on the door so they can't turn the knob.
angelpayne24 10:25 AM 02-02-2011
to the left of the changing station, is a toliet room. ;-) thank you for answering some of my questions. i very much appreciate it.
AnythingsPossible 11:08 AM 02-02-2011
I saw that on second look!! Somehow I visually blocked that out! I think the room layout will be awesome. I hope everything works out. I have been considering finishing my garage and using that as daycare space. I think your children will enjoy having their own space with Mom close by.
Abigail 05:20 PM 02-02-2011
Welcome Angelpayne24. Where did you create your room image...a program or website?! I love it! Are your beds actual toddler beds or will they be cots/mats? If they are not beds, then you might want to create a closet space in the room to store them because you will have to pick them up to vacuum/mop often. I see you have highchairs for two and two chairs at the table. Do you have a pack-n-play or crib for the infants to sleep in or infant area to exclusively play in?

I see both doors lead to your house. Do you have an exterior door to go outside and play in the backyard? Which way will the parents enter at the beginning/end of daycare? Do you expect to run to the front of the house and let them in and have mom/dad bring them back to their cubby and then you walk the mom/dad back out? It would be wonderful to have an exterior door and have the cubby storage there. As for square footage, you're well over the minimum! They subtract any area that a child cannot physically use....counter, desk, fridge, etc. I wouldn't be concerned because you have 285 square feet divided by four children is 71 square feet. Even if they only counted half your area you would still be fine. Our square footage requirement here is 36 for inside and 75 for outside per child.

They should inspect the rest of your house. WHY? Because your own children will count as daycare kids and you must treat them all the same. Anywhere your children have access to is what they will need to inspect. If not, I would be worried. You also will need a place for a tornado disaster in the lower level of your house so they should ask to see that as well. The same goes for fire evacuation routes...this will be from every room in your home since your own children will not be required to stay in the room.
Stacy214 07:02 PM 02-02-2011
It looks nice!! I sent you a PM, I'm from NC too, so if you have any questions I may be able to help.
Tags:floor plan, layout, new member
Reply Up