Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Screamer, Again
sahm2three 01:26 PM 11-17-2011
Ok, my screamer, we have had a TERRIBLE week. He can't be put down, wants to be held all the time. Hates to be in the play area with the other kids, or so it appears because he acts like the floor is on fire when you try to set him down. I have tried a seperate play pen for him with toys, but he flips out. So, we have been working with the parents on this, and yesterday I got advice from the dad that kind of cracked me up. Like I am a newbie. Put him in the playpen in a room by himself and tell him he is in time out for screaming. You are in TROUBLE for throwing a fit. Leave him. Wait until he stops screaming and then go get him and tell him he is not to scream any more. K. All of these things we have tried.

This ain't my first rodeo. I do very much appreciate them trying to give us ideas as to how to handle him, but it isn't the same here. For one, at almost 2 years old, I think he KNOWS that time out is all I have. Dad has told me that he spanks him. So he is afraid of dad. If we put him in a room in a pnp for time out, he would NEVER stop screaming. We have tried it. Every few mins we would go in and try talking to him, but he would just throw a louder fit. We have a speech therapist working with him because he doesn't speak at all. I think part of his issue is not being able to communicate? Ugh. We have taught him basic sign language, and sometimes he will use it, but most times he refuses completely and throws a fit when we ask him to. I love this little guy. I can't just term him. I am looking for BTDT advice from others who have had screamers.
cheerfuldom 01:34 PM 11-17-2011
I thought at first you were talking about a young child, 18 months or younger. I just couldn't do a 2 year old that throws constant fits and wants to be held all day. Sorry, I would just term but I realize that is not what you are looking for.
mommiesherie 02:04 PM 11-17-2011
Girl I feel for you! That makes a stressful day! Honestly all I can say is I have a screamer but he is 11 months. He is getting better but I just either ignore it (I have no problem with him pitching his fit as long as he wants to but it gets to my 6 year old. Lol) or I do just what the dad told you to do. But I do not keep going in and talking to him. I let him scream it out. When he is done he is sleeping most times. If he isn't sleeping I get him and he comes out and plays. This is not a 5 minute fix though. I have been at it with him for months now. He is finally getting better and will actually play happily.
sahm2three 03:35 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I thought at first you were talking about a young child, 18 months or younger. I just couldn't do a 2 year old that throws constant fits and wants to be held all day. Sorry, I would just term but I realize that is not what you are looking for.
He will be 2 in Feb. So it is a few months away. He is developmentally behind though.
Tags:screamer
Reply Up