Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need help before going to a brainstorming meeting!!
Country Kids 06:36 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Child Development Associate diploma/certificate

http://www.cdacouncil.org/

Usually the first step for ECE workers. Alot of centers and child care facilities require staff to have a CDA.
If that is the two year degree I'm thinking about, it would be about $12,000 for me to get mine at our local community college. That is why I'm so hesitant about spending that type of money at my age to work in my home. For some reason, I can see everything changing in 5 years and there will be a new improved way to do this. I wouldn't even be able to do more then one or two classes a term so it would take me forever to get done. A friend of mine was trying to get something in business and it took him 10, yes 10 years to get it doing it online. He was so relieved to get it done finally.
Unregistered 06:45 AM 11-30-2012
regular member logged out...

Ok, this is a matter of public record, so I don't feel wrong sharing it. But look at this...

http://childcarefinder.wisconsin.gov...xzZXwwfGF8MHww

This person is a 5 star because she went through accreditation. These are just the violations in the last 2 years!
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
If that is the two year degree I'm thinking about, it would be about $12,000 for me to get mine at our local community college. That is why I'm so hesitant about spending that type of money at my age to work in my home. For some reason, I can see everything changing in 5 years and there will be a new improved way to do this. I wouldn't even be able to do more then one or two classes a term so it would take me forever to get done. A friend of mine was trying to get something in business and it took him 10, yes 10 years to get it doing it online. He was so relieved to get it done finally.
No, this is just a certificate...I think it takes less than a yr to get it. I can't remember as it was a while ago that I did it but it is like a 16 credit certifcation and has to be renewed after 3 yrs and then again every 5 yrs by taking additional course work.

Our local CRR&R for a while offered grants for providers to receive their CDA. I would look on your local CCR&R website and see what they offer.

Getting the CDA is easy, although the work is considerable, I think it is a good thing to have. I honestly feel that it is the bare minimum a child care provider should have.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Ok, this is a matter of public record, so I don't feel wrong sharing it. But look at this...

This person is a 5 star because she went through accreditation. These are just the violations in the last 2 years!

there are no words......

5 stars for what?
Meeko 08:03 AM 11-30-2012

Wow! Wonderful example of how great a 5 star daycare is, huh?!

Wonder how many parents passed by a wonderful 2 star facility to put their child here???
Meeko 08:07 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

ALL Head Start programs are automatically given the highest number of stars as they are "The model of success" and ideally what they would like to see all care facilities emulate.

I simply cannot roll my eyes enough on this one....

It would break my heart to think my daycare was compared to any Head Start programs around here I would never send my own kids to one even if it is free.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:

It would break my heart to think my daycare was compared to any Head Start programs around here I would never send my own kids to one even if it is free.
I agree. I have some VERY strong feelings about Head Start.

They are the number one reason I chose to open my own child care.

Let's just say that it's kind of like working in your favorite fast food place. Once you see the operations behind the counter it makes you think twice before eating there again.

That is kind of my experience with Head Start.
Crystal 10:38 AM 11-30-2012
here is a link for Ca. providers:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/rt/rttelcapproach.asp
Crystal 10:38 AM 11-30-2012
and another:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/rt/docum...cfactsheet.pdf
Crystal 10:40 AM 11-30-2012
here is the list of counties participating and the contact information for the agencies implementing the QRIS in each county:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/rt/rttelccontactlist.asp
Crystal 10:43 AM 11-30-2012
Here are Ca. publications that anyone participating in the QRIS will need to be familiar with:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/cddpublications.asp
Childminder 11:38 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Can I ask, why you are against going back to school? (I am NOT being judgemental, I am just curious, as I know alot of providers feel this way)I know it's alot of work, and is time consuming, but it is SO rewarding. Even with my many years of experience, when I went back to school and started learning about child development and DAP, I learned how much I DIDN'T know that I thought I did know and my program was transformed by it!

I think 24 hours of training is completely acceptable. That is only 2 hours per month, which really shouldn't cut in to when you care for children.
I am not against going back to school, Crystal, if there was more time and money to do so and I wasn't almost 60 I would. I am open 6am-midnight six days a week trying to bring in enough children to pay my bills. It just isn't 2 hours a month, it is at least 3.5 by the time I drive to the closest class and I have to hire someone to come in and care for the children or tell the parents to find alternate care which either way cuts into my bottom line.

Last year we made $25K and $12k went to mortgage. Yes, we are under water being that we bought it at the "perfect" time but to lose the home and move to another location is not feasible nor a good solution.

We just recently went thru a High Scope program revamp while being coached by our local R&R and United Way and while most of the enhancements were not expensive it does add up overall and we completely remodeled our basement for dedicated daycare space.

My enrollment has been down since 2008 which is also when my husband lost his job after working in the automotive field for 38 years. He is "unhireable". All of his degrees an furthering his education isn't doing squat to help him find work. Recently he took a minimum wage job cleaning a fast food restaurant 15 hours a week and making less than 1/4 of his former hourly wage. He is 60 and has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about 10 years ago. His medication cost for one prescription is $1800 a month and we can't afford to pay for health insurance so we do not have any.

Yes, furthering your education can be very rewarding. I have a bunch of credits under my belt already in both Early Childhood Education and Fine Arts, plus I have my technology certificate and am licensed as a Nail Tech. I take multiple classes at my R&R and do enjoy them.

I resent however being told by our Government that I have to spend more money and time to take classes and make less money. After all this is said and done I will not be able to charge more nor have more clients to increase my income. Doing all of this extra paperwork, assessments, parent conferences and home visits(who are they kidding) is not going to give me more $, just subtract time. The state says that I can't make more.

I just heard a news article about the millions of dollars that is being put into this Federally. Problem is that the K-12 schools don't have enough to do what they need and are cutting Kindergarten altogether or downsizing it. They want us to pick up the slack for not hiring or keeping degreed teachers and to do their work for less.
Childminder 11:46 AM 11-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31

ALL Head Start programs are automatically given the highest number of stars as they are "The model of success" and ideally what they would like to see all care facilities emulate.

Our Head Start program here is wonderful and I have had nothing but good to say about it. I guess it is subjective to your State or district. Ours are modeled under the Internationally acclaimed HighScope program which is also what I am modeled after.

Blackcat31 11:58 AM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Quote:

Our Head Start program here is wonderful and I have had nothing but good to say about it. I guess it is subjective to your State or district. Ours are modeled under the Internationally acclaimed HighScope program which is also what I am modeled after.
Yes, the quality of Head Start is probably subjective to each area and I shouldn't have made a blanket statement about the program itself, as I learned ALOT while being employed with them and they are the reason I am where I am today (whether for good or bad reasons) I did find my calling to ECE through them.

The Head Start programs in my area also follow High Scope and personally I like the approach.....I just have issue with some of the experiences I personally had while working there and some of the things I have had DCP's share with me so I should have specified in my comments that I feel the way I do due to my own experiences.
Meeko 12:06 PM 11-30-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Quote:

The Head Starts here are awful. Not a fun place for kids to go. It's like prison camp for kids. No individuality, no nurturing. It's robotic and cold.

I looked into it for my SIL a few years back as she valued my input.... and after experiencing a visit there, I told her to run a mile. Free or not....I really felt it would damage our nephew. She never did place him and he started KG and excelled just fine without having the 'education" that Head Start was supposed to give him. He stayed home with his loving Mom instead....much better.

I had a woman in my old church congregation that worked there. A mean and nasty woman who spoke to her own kids like they were dirt. I shudder to think how she treated the Head Start kids. She wasn't there the day I visited. Funny thing is, she was educated and supposedly an "expert" in early childhood education. You'd never believe it hearing her berate her own children (and that was in public...who knows how she was at home)

We have two Head Starts close by and both are terrible. Glad to hear that's not the case elsewhere.
Lucy 08:47 PM 12-06-2012
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. Life got in the way!!

Just wanted to update this post and say that I went to my focus group tonight. It was actually kind of fun. It wasn't a time for talking about the program itself. Our feelings about it were not a part of the discussion in any way. The facilitator was hired as a third party to run the conversation, and he was very good at it. We had 11 handouts that we were asked to fill out at particular times during the 90 minute conversation. They were basically finding out how we felt about certain words and phrases. We either ranked them from 1-4 (or 1-5, 1-6, etc.) on how compelling they were to us, or we were asked to write down words or feelings that their words or phrases immediately brought to mind for us. What they kind of did was got our initial feelings at the very beginning of the meeting, then our feelings after some discussion, then at the end we put down our favorite title, and favorite mission statement.

Some examples of titles, if I can think of them, were Early Learners, Early Start Oregon, Learning First.... There were 5 or 6 and I'll be darned if I can remember any more of them! I literally left the meeting 45 minutes ago too!! Some mission statements were Quality Early Learning Lasts a Lifetime .... and my mind is blank. Darn it! I wanted to be able to remember them!! If I remember more in the morning, I'll post.

Anyway, he also briefly talked about the rating system and what we thought of using stars, tiers, steps, levels, bronze/silver/gold, or ABCDF. No handout on that, just discussion.

It was fun, even though I do not want my Daycare to be judged or graded, but it wasn't about that. Best part is walking out and being handed my envelope with a crisp $50 bill in it!!!
Lucy 09:12 AM 12-07-2012
Nope, I can't think of any more of the titles or statements. I'm approaching the big 5-0, so I guess my memory is fading.

I'm still against the program, but the PROCESS of this focus group was fun and interesting. Can't wait to see what they end up using.
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 12-07-2012
Does this remind anyone else of something from your childhood???

The people who enforce the training are the same people who SELL the training.
Attached: sneetchlogo.gif (4.7 KB) 
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Yes, as a matter of fact.....see the bottom of my post (#31) on the first page of this thread. LOL!!
Lucy 01:21 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Not sure I follow you? "Sell" as in money changing hands, or "sell" as in talk it up good so we will like it?

Sorry... I feel a little slow in the noggin today! What did you mean?
Country Kids 01:24 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. Life got in the way!!

Just wanted to update this post and say that I went to my focus group tonight. It was actually kind of fun. It wasn't a time for talking about the program itself. Our feelings about it were not a part of the discussion in any way. The facilitator was hired as a third party to run the conversation, and he was very good at it. We had 11 handouts that we were asked to fill out at particular times during the 90 minute conversation. They were basically finding out how we felt about certain words and phrases. We either ranked them from 1-4 (or 1-5, 1-6, etc.) on how compelling they were to us, or we were asked to write down words or feelings that their words or phrases immediately brought to mind for us. What they kind of did was got our initial feelings at the very beginning of the meeting, then our feelings after some discussion, then at the end we put down our favorite title, and favorite mission statement.

Some examples of titles, if I can think of them, were Early Learners, Early Start Oregon, Learning First.... There were 5 or 6 and I'll be darned if I can remember any more of them! I literally left the meeting 45 minutes ago too!! Some mission statements were Quality Early Learning Lasts a Lifetime .... and my mind is blank. Darn it! I wanted to be able to remember them!! If I remember more in the morning, I'll post.

Anyway, he also briefly talked about the rating system and what we thought of using stars, tiers, steps, levels, bronze/silver/gold, or ABCDF. No handout on that, just discussion.

It was fun, even though I do not want my Daycare to be judged or graded, but it wasn't about that. Best part is walking out and being handed my envelope with a crisp $50 bill in it!!!

I'm a little bit worried/perplexed by your meeting (not you, the meeting). You are there to name this program but you only briefly talked about the program and your feelings weren't addressed. That is what I'm not liking at all!!!!!!

The decided to do this project but won't listen to providers. Everytime I have voiced a concern its passed over!!!! I'm not the only one either expressing concerns in my area but its already in the go so why worry. I so wish they would have talked to providers before starting all of this.

Also, I don't understand why all the providers don't have a say in the naming of it. So I wonder if the money you guys are getting is part of the $50 million dollars-nice of them to share $50 with you- If and only if my memory serves correctly I don't think your area is even participating in the pilot project so why have you involved in the naming of it. Sound fish/funny to me.

Well I'm glad you got your money! Enjoy-spend it on something special for just you (that would buy alot of chocolate!!)
daycare 01:37 PM 12-07-2012

HOLY COW................................ I would be shut down if I had 1/2 of those violations...
Country Kids 01:45 PM 12-07-2012
"This provider is accredited and as such, does not have the ability to earn points in YoungStar."

What does the above mean? The provider had 5 stars so if she was acredited how did she get 5 stars?
Lucy 05:16 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm a little bit worried/perplexed by your meeting (not you, the meeting). You are there to name this program but you only briefly talked about the program and your feelings weren't addressed. That is what I'm not liking at all!!!!!!

Well, the meeting had a specific focus toward the wording of the name and mission statement. The guy facilitating it was from a 3rd party company that does focus groups. This meeting was not for the purposes of yay or nay on the program itself, just to get random providers' comments on words and phrases as their first step in the naming process. He probably didn't know the inner workings of the program at all. He was there to pick our brains as to what emotions certain words evoked from us. There will likely be meetings on how the program works in the future.

The decided to do this project but won't listen to providers. Everytime I have voiced a concern its passed over!!!! I'm not the only one either expressing concerns in my area but its already in the go so why worry. I so wish they would have talked to providers before starting all of this.

TOTALLY agree!

Also, I don't understand why all the providers don't have a say in the naming of it.

I'm thinking maybe this was literally the first step in the process. Maybe when they have their focus narrowed, they'll send a ballot to all providers. Maybe???

So I wonder if the money you guys are getting is part of the $50 million dollars-nice of them to share $50 with you- If and only if my memory serves correctly I don't think your area is even participating in the pilot project so why have you involved in the naming of it. Sound fish/funny to me.

We can never begin to understand government. I hear ya!

Well I'm glad you got your money! Enjoy-spend it on something special for just you (that would buy alot of chocolate!!)
True on the chocolate, but it IS Christmas afterall, so it will go toward presents.
1 2
Reply Up