Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beginnings of a Screamer
Lyss 03:19 PM 07-19-2013
So I've had a screamer previously, started at 5months (part time, inconsistent schedule...I know I know!) and cried 24/7 until almost 8 months. I was literally days from terming when her schedule went from part time to full time and she finally adjusted. I vowed never to take part time infants again.

Now a year later I have an infant (3 months) that is full time, with a consistent drop off and pick up, and in the last week and a half has gone from the happiest, easiest baby to screaming most of the time when she's not being held. I've had her since 1 month old. I love her parents, I had older sibling from 2yr to 4yrs when she went to prek and she was a great kid. They are a co-sleeping family (4 year old still sleeps with them ) btw, but napping isn't an issue. Its the awake time.

I really can't deal with another screamer but I thought if she started with me from the beginning and was full time it wouldn't be a problem like the last one. This is not turning out to be the case.

How to you transition infants? I'm hoping to not use the swing and/or bouncer but the second she hits the floor or the play mat lately its all screaming.

DH thinks I'm overreacting because its only been this week when its really gotten worse (each day this week is getting progressively worse) but I just keep having flashbacks to those 4 months of screaming and cannot do that again.
daycare 03:32 PM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
So I've had a screamer previously, started at 5months (part time, inconsistent schedule...I know I know!) and cried 24/7 until almost 8 months. I was literally days from terming when her schedule went from part time to full time and she finally adjusted. I vowed never to take part time infants again.

Now a year later I have an infant (3 months) that is full time, with a consistent drop off and pick up, and in the last week and a half has gone from the happiest, easiest baby to screaming most of the time when she's not being held. I've had her since 1 month old. I love her parents, I had older sibling from 2yr to 4yrs when she went to prek and she was a great kid. They are a co-sleeping family (4 year old still sleeps with them ) btw, but napping isn't an issue. Its the awake time.

I really can't deal with another screamer but I thought if she started with me from the beginning and was full time it wouldn't be a problem like the last one. This is not turning out to be the case.

How to you transition infants? I'm hoping to not use the swing and/or bouncer but the second she hits the floor or the play mat lately its all screaming.

DH thinks I'm overreacting because its only been this week when its really gotten worse (each day this week is getting progressively worse) but I just keep having flashbacks to those 4 months of screaming and cannot do that again.
no signs of illness? maybe ear infection ??
Lyss 04:11 PM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
no signs of illness? maybe ear infection ??
I did notice that the scream I'm getting this afternoon isn't like the other "normal" ones, it seems a "angrier" and her whole face turns beat red which I haven't seen before. So maybe it could be some tummy issues? I tried giving her the gas drops DCM brought awhile back but it no improvement unless she's held

As horrible as it sounds (and I feel typing it) I'm really hoping its an illness At least that would be a temporary thing.
cheerfuldom 05:39 PM 07-19-2013
Do you know if mom is babywearing at home? A lot of co-sleeping families will also use a lot of babywearing and at 3 months, baby might be noticing that the floor is really not as cozy as mom. they may be using a swing or other equipment at home during wake time. makes it hard for the daycare provider to get baby happy with floor play
Heidi 06:05 PM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I did notice that the scream I'm getting this afternoon isn't like the other "normal" ones, it seems a "angrier" and her whole face turns beat red which I haven't seen before. So maybe it could be some tummy issues? I tried giving her the gas drops DCM brought awhile back but it no improvement unless she's held

As horrible as it sounds (and I feel typing it) I'm really hoping its an illness At least that would be a temporary thing.
Did you talk to the parents about it? Has she been needier at home suddenly?

My first thought would be illness or teeth if it's sudden. Maybe getting a report about how the weekend goes will give you a clue. I hope she's sick too. Not because I want her sick, but because I hope that's all it is.
Lyss 06:20 PM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do you know if mom is babywearing at home? A lot of co-sleeping families will also use a lot of babywearing and at 3 months, baby might be noticing that the floor is really not as cozy as mom. they may be using a swing or other equipment at home during wake time. makes it hard for the daycare provider to get baby happy with floor play
I know they use a bouncer when she's not being held. Mom said she used to wear her but with the heat she hasn't been using it much in the last month and a half. I did tell DCM that DCG needs more tummy time without mom hovering (she told me she does this when I talked to her tonight) that its ok to take a few steps back and let her look at toys or household objects (they don't have much in the way of toys/baby gear, no crib/swing/play mat just a bouncer)

She really likes to be upright, even when she's in the bouncer she tries to sit her self up further.

Originally Posted by Heidi:
Did you talk to the parents about it? Has she been needier at home suddenly?

My first thought would be illness or teeth if it's sudden. Maybe getting a report about how the weekend goes will give you a clue. I hope she's sick too. Not because I want her sick, but because I hope that's all it is.
DCM said she's been fine at home but a little fussier at night. I'm wondering maybe reflux or teething. I did notice that she's drooling like a faucet but I didn't feel anything in her mouth. Maybe things are moving around though and causing discomfort.
Tags:screamer
Reply Up