Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TV/Movies
Unregistered 10:45 AM 03-12-2015
Do you allow it? If so how often ?
VTMom 11:08 AM 03-12-2015
I'll confess. I do allow it, although only for school aged children during nap time (school vacations only). So it's more for volume control. I'll have them read for an hour and then they're allowed an hour of television. Sometimes I'll allow movies for a treat, usually on the last day of vacation.
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 03-12-2015
Nope. No TV here. I do NOT have a TV here at all.

Most providers will say "yes, but it's educational".

I don't provide TV or movies because I do not personally feel it is appropriate to do so.

My reasons have NOTHING to do with whether the programming content is educational or not.
spinnymarie 11:16 AM 03-12-2015
We watch a movie once every few months, nothing other than that.
Annalee 11:19 AM 03-12-2015
We watch some old Christmas movies during December..i.e. Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty, etc. One of my themes during December is "Chillin Out". I like it because the children are extra excited during this time of year. We have the hot chocolate, popcorn, etc for extra special snacks...just something we have always done in December.
Annalee 11:20 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We watch some old Christmas movies during December..i.e. Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty, etc. One of my themes during December is "Chillin Out". I like it because the children are extra excited during this time of year. We have the hot chocolate, popcorn, etc for extra special snacks...just something we have always done in December.
BTW: I do not have cable in Daycare, just an old VHS/DVD player.
Unregistered 11:22 AM 03-12-2015
I do allow tv in my daycare. It is on when they arrive to help transistion to being here while I get lunch packed for my oldest and get him out the door and while I prep breakfast so about 40 minutes. I then use the tv again for 30 minutes while I make lunch. With not being able to go outside we have been doing a movie on Fridays. I try to only use it as a tool to help me get done what I need to do.
Unregistered 11:24 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do allow tv in my daycare. It is on when they arrive to help transistion to being here while I get lunch packed for my oldest and get him out the door and while I prep breakfast so about 40 minutes. I then use the tv again for 30 minutes while I make lunch. With not being able to go outside we have been doing a movie on Fridays. I try to only use it as a tool to help me get done what I need to do.
We listen to a lot of music too.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:27 AM 03-12-2015
no TV for littles. Now that said I had a school age kido (sibling) for a snow day. He use to be one of my littles and at naptime I let him slide in the living room to "nap" so his younger siblings wouldn't be distracted by him. He and my son watched cloudy with a chance of meatballs. then they did some building and books. It was nice for this little guy (7) to hang out with my 18 yr old. Guy time
But my littles, no unless if it is a very unusual day! (read as there is an emergency and my daughter has to step in as my sub and I am trying to distract so I can run out door before 2 yr old realizes I am gone)
Jack Sprat 11:28 AM 03-12-2015
1x a month for 1 hour.
Gemma 11:32 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I'll confess. I do allow it, although only for school aged children during nap time (school vacations only). So it's more for volume control. I'll have them read for an hour and then they're allowed an hour of television. Sometimes I'll allow movies for a treat, usually on the last day of vacation.
I don't find nothing wrong, in allowing occasional TV! ...and Licensing doesn't either!
Annalee 11:38 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I don't find nothing wrong, in allowing occasional TV! ...and Licensing doesn't either!
Ironically, QRIS allows it here, too, just like computer use. There are limitations with time but it is allowed.
DaveA 11:41 AM 03-12-2015
I have it on in the morning before breakfast (900). After that it goes on after lunch till we go drop of pre-K, about 15- 20 minutes.
AmyLeigh 03:00 PM 03-12-2015
Movie afternoon on Fridays, complete with lights off, blankets and popcorn, sometimes candy. But those days are more for my benefit, lol. On occasion, I may let them watch a little tv right before pickup, if they are getting too antsy. But that is becoming increasingly rare.
Unregistered 04:07 PM 03-12-2015
We mostly watch PBS. I let them watch TV the first 30 minutes of daycare, before breakfast. Then 15-30 minutes of TV while I make lunch. And then sometimes I let them the last 30 minutes of the day, depends on the kids and how the day went. Reg's say 2 hours tops per day.
Gemma 05:33 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Movie afternoon on Fridays, complete with lights off, blankets and popcorn.
That sounds like fun!...got room for one more?

What movies you guys watch?
Josiegirl 03:23 AM 03-13-2015
Maybe once a week I'll put the Wiggles on 15 minutes or so, for the little ones. When the SAers are here, a video is one of their options for quiet time. Lots of time they don't choose it.
I believe our licensing still allows up to 2 hours a day, I don't think they've changed that. But I dislike TV, don't have cable anymore, and only put in a video(Yes, I still have VHS also LOL)when it feels right.
Kids get sooo much screen time at home, in the car, etc., I truly believe it's already more than enough. I have dcks who can't seem to survive the 5 minute drive here without a screen in their hands. Whatever happened to watching out the window, talking with mom or dad, singing songs, playing road games???

Off my soapbox....
AmyLeigh 06:58 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
That sounds like fun!...got room for one more?

What movies you guys watch?
Haha, always!! Come on over!

My group is older, 4.5 and up, with the exception of the 2yo temporary dcg.
We watch any Disney or DreamWorks animated movie I have in my collection. Dh is a huge movie buff and has literally hundreds of DVDs and blu rays. The kiddos take turns choosing the movie. Most of us have church on Thursday nights, so we are extra tired come Friday. It's just what we need to get ready for the weekend.
mamamanda 08:31 AM 03-13-2015
We rarely turn it on. I make exceptions on rare occasions, but I find behavior is always worse with it on than off oddly enough.
NoMoreJuice! 08:37 AM 03-13-2015
Nope, we are a technology-free daycare. The first summer I had daycare, I allowed the school age kids to bring their DS or whatever electronic device they were addicted to, and it was a disaster. I still have kids whose parents can't get them to walk to my door in the morning because they are staring at Mom's phone playing an app six inches from their face. Technology is a tool, and can be used appropriately, but it has no place in my daycare. I want my kids to be addicted to dirt and sunshine and snow and the smell of falling leaves or fresh lilac bushes!
Gemma 09:07 AM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Haha, always!! Come on over!

My group is older, 4.5 and up, with the exception of the 2yo temporary dcg.
We watch any Disney or DreamWorks animated movie I have in my collection. Dh is a huge movie buff and has literally hundreds of DVDs and blu rays. The kiddos take turns choosing the movie. Most of us have church on Thursday nights, so we are extra tired come Friday. It's just what we need to get ready for the weekend.
Lucky you!...I can't wait till the kids in my group, will be old enough to understand the concept of a party!
finsup 09:09 AM 03-13-2015
Nope, no TV. Under 2 is no screen time at all. Over 2 is an hour max of computer time (ABC mouse, bible app, starfall) and even that's not everyday. They get so much screen time at home, they don't need it here too.
permanentvacation 09:28 AM 03-13-2015
No tv here. I don't even have one in the daycare room. I do, however, use the computer for educational purposes on a VERY slim occasion. It might be once every few weeks and that's only when I can't find any books, paper products, or hands-on items to teach or explain what I'm trying to teach/show the kids. We use it for just a couple of minutes for that purpose only and that's it.
kendallina 11:21 AM 03-13-2015
No tv.

We did just watch a youtube video of an octopus opening a jar (ocean theme this week!).
bananas 11:38 AM 03-13-2015
I allow television only while I'm making lunch. The kids that I watch seriously launch down each other's necks the second my back is turned (they're all girls…and very verbally catty lately). It'd take me an hour to make lunch with all the fights I have to break up….with the television turned on it takes me about 20 minutes.
Reply Up