Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Favorite Piece Of Day Care Equipment
odskids 09:06 AM 04-08-2011
Hello,

I am working on a grant and wondering, what is your favorite piece of day care equipment? Could be something you couldn't do your job without or something that the kids just love! After years of day care, looking for some new ideas!

Thanks!
Greenshadow 09:09 AM 04-08-2011
Storage!!! I dont just mean the big shelving units. I mean the baskets and trinket things to put craft pieces in and to hold extra smaller sized toys. I love anything wooden so puzzles and those bead toys are great. Anything eco-friendly. The kids love the market thing we have where you go behind it and pretend you are at the store. I think Little Tikes makes it. They love that more than the wooden play kitchen.
boysx5 09:16 AM 04-08-2011
I love the super yard gate I bought two and don't know how I did daycare for 15 years without one just putting it in front of the t.v. has changed my life in so many ways
MissAnn 09:17 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by odskids:
Hello,

I am working on a grant and wondering, what is your favorite piece of day care equipment? Could be something you couldn't do your job without or something that the kids just love! After years of day care, looking for some new ideas!

Thanks!
My raised garden bed and my shark steam mop!
blueclouds29 09:20 AM 04-08-2011
i can not WAIT to get one of those heavy duty gates! I only have 3 kids.. but my 2 year old DD could use some non toddler/baby time! LOL
SilverSabre25 09:20 AM 04-08-2011
Step 2 Roller Coaster--can be for outside or if you have a large enough indoor space. Love, love, LOVE it and can be used for kids up to 55 pounds so it's good for a wide variety of ages.

Superyard--another good one.

Duplo Legos

I don't have--but could use--a good school/daycare center table and chairs--low to the ground, child-sized, sturdy.
Childminder 09:30 AM 04-08-2011
Legos and a vinyl covered activity ring for infants. The ring was something I got with grant money for the infants to crawl on and play in and the older kids are constantly playing with it. I have to limit their time with it.
lil angels 09:40 AM 04-08-2011
I love my Pandora internet radio. I stopped getting the kids new cds I can just type in a kind of music and it will play anything like it so we don't get sick of it. We use it to dance (kids bop, barney, mickey mouse club house, ect). Or at nap time we can have classical, lullaby, or anything in between and we don't have to buy or store all those cds anymore.
DancingQueen 09:46 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by :
vinyl covered activity ring
What is this? I've never heard of it and can't visualize it LOL
childcarebytori 09:55 AM 04-08-2011
Favorite piece of daycare equipment? Cots and Pack'n'Plays used for naptime The children enjoy them ALMOST as much as me!
Greenshadow 09:59 AM 04-08-2011
What do you use the superyards for? I have one and its in the shed. I never use it.
SilverSabre25 10:00 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I'm guessing it's something like this

LOVE that soft vinyl-covered infant climby-crawly stuff! I covet this

Oh, OP--another wish I had but I don't: BIG shatterproof mirrors to mount on the wall.
SilverSabre25 10:05 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
What do you use the superyards for? I have one and its in the shed. I never use it.
I use my superyard to separate baby zone from big kids zone, or to give someone their own play area, or to make really big forts, or to gate off the end of the driveway so that kids and balls don't escape...
lil angels 10:06 AM 04-08-2011
I have two superyards to I use mine as playpens in the house for the new crawlers or to put the baby seats and swings in so my 1 yr can't get at the baby's and hurt or crawl on them. And I also use it outside in the summer so my littles can be in there on the grass because my play area is all covered in pea gravel.
SandeeAR 10:09 AM 04-08-2011
For me, at 51, my CHANGING TABLE!!! I don't like getting on the floor to change all the diapers all day long.
DancingQueen 10:11 AM 04-08-2011
Anyone know the cheapest place (besides craigslist) to get a play yard? the ONE I had broke so we use it for my rabbits now LOL
DCMom 10:14 AM 04-08-2011
My Koala wall mounted changing table, hands down (for me) as far as the kids, my dramatic play market from Lakeshore, they love that thing! They play with it every single day.

This is a great thread for some new ideas for equipment. I've been thinking about changing some things around this spring.
SandeeAR 10:21 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
Anyone know the cheapest place (besides craigslist) to get a play yard? the ONE I had broke so we use it for my rabbits now LOL

I've price walmart. Basic is $48, with the gate is $70.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Stat...t-Gate/8457890

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-Stat...ndingMethod=rr

We have a local Rhea Lana's kids sale next week. If they don't have one, I'm just ordering one from Walmart.
ninosqueridos 10:34 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
I love my Pandora internet radio. I stopped getting the kids new cds I can just type in a kind of music and it will play anything like it so we don't get sick of it. We use it to dance (kids bop, barney, mickey mouse club house, ect). Or at nap time we can have classical, lullaby, or anything in between and we don't have to buy or store all those cds anymore.
Ditto on the Pandora radio! Kids LOVE not knowing what will come on next!

The thing I don't regret spending the money on was the kids table/chairs (Angeles) - I couldn't live without it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Missani 10:46 AM 04-08-2011
I agree on the steam mop! I've said over and over again that it is the one thing I probably could not do without!

For the kids, I'd say the sandbox, the sensory table, and probably the Little Tikes garden.
daycare 11:19 AM 04-08-2011
hardwood floors.....................

carpet and lots of kids dont mix
thecrazyisout 11:23 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I don't have--but could use--a good school/daycare center table and chairs--low to the ground, child-sized, sturdy.
BTW, I found mine on Craigslist for 10.00 and sturdy school chairs for 1.00 each.......MAN I LOVE CRAIGSLIST
thecrazyisout 11:25 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
Ditto on the Pandora radio! Kids LOVE not knowing what will come on next!

The thing I don't regret spending the money on was the kids table/chairs (Angeles) - I couldn't live without it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here;s a vote for pandora....I put on ENYA radio when the kids are sleeping...they fall asleep in a blink of an eye....one of my kids asked if I could stop playing old people music at nap time.....I said no, old people like to nap and this makes you nap like old people....
DancingQueen 11:27 AM 04-08-2011
Enya is old ppl music <sigh> LOL
kidkair 11:32 AM 04-08-2011
My favorite is my 6 foot by 6 foot sandbox. The kids will spend hours in there. Other things I like are: my extensive collection of kid books, my tall bookcases, my great collection of various blocks, my chalkboard, my kid tables that hang on and collapse to the wall, and my folding kid chairs.
daycare 11:34 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
My favorite is my 6 foot by 6 foot sandbox. The kids will spend hours in there. Other things I like are: my extensive collection of kid books, my tall bookcases, my great collection of various blocks, my chalkboard, my kid tables that hang on and collapse to the wall, and my folding kid chairs.
oh yes ditto on the sandbox.... my DCk could play in there all day if i let them........
now I am looking for a shade for my sandbox.....
kidkair 12:19 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
oh yes ditto on the sandbox.... my DCk could play in there all day if i let them........
now I am looking for a shade for my sandbox.....
I use a camping pavilion/canopy over the sandbox for shade during the hottest months. It's doesn't shade the hole box all the time but works well enough. It also helped us get outside during rain showers without getting bored or wet
happykidschildcare 01:04 PM 04-08-2011
heres my all time favorite piece, and it works with either duplo or lego, scroll donw a bit and you can get it for $167 and free sh, i only wish I would of paid $30 more and gotten the seats instead of the stools eliminating my toddlers from tippin off.

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Activ...2295949&sr=8-1

I skipped the superyards and went with something a lil more permanent if you have the room it was one of my best investments. I got mine on ebay, hubby installed in the corner of our room in the shape of an L making a 10x10 square area for my wobblers to play in ( keeping them safe from my rough & tough older kids) he screwed into the actual floor of the room reinforcing it so it can not be knocked over. No gated area keeping the older kids out, I just step over when needed and place the lil ones over. We still have 3 panels of it in the garage in case needed, but Ive been using it for over a year and its still holding up

ebay link http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Brown-BA...item56436c4783

I tried attaching a pic of partial view of my set up.
nannyde 01:11 PM 04-08-2011
JMasons and then superyards
Childminder 01:32 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by :
Quote:
vinyl covered activity ring
http://www.littlepeoplescove.com/softplayring.html

Originally Posted by :
I skipped the superyards and went with something a lil more permanent if you have the room it was one of my best investments. I got mine on ebay, hubby installed in the corner of our room in the shape of an L making a 10x10 square area for my wobblers to play in ( keeping them safe from my rough & tough older kids) he screwed into the actual floor of the room reinforcing it so it can not be knocked over. No gated area keeping the older kids out, I just step over when needed and place the lil ones over. We still have 3 panels of it in the garage in case needed, but Ive been using it for over a year and its still holding up

Love this!
nannyde 01:34 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
heres my all time favorite piece, and it works with either duplo or lego, scroll donw a bit and you can get it for $167 and free sh, i only wish I would of paid $30 more and gotten the seats instead of the stools eliminating my toddlers from tippin off.

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Activ...2295949&sr=8-1

I tried attaching a pic of partial view of my set up.
How deep is the ring?
mickey2 02:25 PM 04-08-2011
I have to post this. I could not do this without my husband. He is my biggest helper and my substitute when I need to attend to appointments errands etc. He cooks, cleans and helps enormously! My daycare babies all love him and my parents think he is wonderful. I am so thankful for him. I Love you baby!
SilverSabre25 02:37 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
I have to post this. I could not do this without my husband. He is my biggest helper and my substitute when I need to attend to appointments errands etc. He cooks, cleans and helps enormously! My daycare babies all love him and my parents think he is wonderful. I am so thankful for him. I Love you baby!
There is that! I agree (but about my husband...I don't know yours!).
mickey2 03:02 PM 04-08-2011
There is that! I agree (but about my husband...I don't know yours!).

Mine is the BEST!!! JK I don't know yours either.
SilverSabre25 03:05 PM 04-08-2011
I'm surprised no one has said ear plugs yet...

by the way...is it me, or are we all kind loopy today?
mickey2 03:20 PM 04-08-2011
I'm surprised no one has said ear plugs yet...

by the way...is it me, or are we all kind loopy today?

OMG SilverSabre25 I never even thought about that! (earplugs)

Yes earplugs for sure! I have actually used a cd player and earphones.

As far as being "loopy", It IS FRIDAY! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ninosqueridos 03:21 PM 04-08-2011
silversabre YES!
Tags:daycare equipment - favorite, equipment, equipment - favorite
Reply Up