Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do People Normally Charge When Parents Are Late
Kimmery 08:42 AM 09-08-2011
When parents are late picking up their child, how much do you charge an hour/half an hour...
familyschoolcare 08:48 AM 09-08-2011
There is a charge of $10.00 every five minutes or portion thereof that you are late picking up your child. Mrs. *******’s Christian Child care closes at 6:15 and as such the late fee will start at 6:15pm (there is no grace period).
AnneCordelia 09:10 AM 09-08-2011
I also have NO grace period. There is no point to a grace period, IMO, as it just encourages lateness.

I charge $1/minute and it starts as soon as their contracted pick-up time hits. For one of my family's that is 3:15. For another it's 4:00. For the last it's 5:00.
Meeko 10:14 AM 09-08-2011
$1 per minute passed closing time.
Michael 01:00 PM 09-08-2011
More Late Fee threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=late+fee
GretasLittleFriends 01:10 PM 09-08-2011
I only charge $1 every 15 minutes (without prior notification) and require it to be paid with their normal pay. I have never had to enforce it though.
wdmmom 01:12 PM 09-08-2011
$10 for every 15 minutes beyond their contracted hours (if still within business hours)

Anything beyond closing time: $1.00 per minute
Tiny Hiney Daycare 01:18 PM 09-08-2011
we also charge $1.00 minute. Once we got time clocks for our employees and parents No one has been late! No more writing down down 5:30 pick up time when they really got here at 5:45...
Our other Daycare friend charges $1/ minute after a 15 min grace period from there contracted time, or after closing whichever applies.
Auntie 01:25 PM 09-08-2011
We charge a $1 a min they are late. I love putting out the sign on top of the sign out sheet it takes the pressure off of me. this is put out after the time we close.
bgmeyers 02:03 PM 09-08-2011
I charge $1 per minute per child. Rarely have to do this, but they all know I will!
beachgrl 08:08 AM 09-09-2011
I love the idea of the sign out at the sign in sheet, that is good. I am trying to come up with something that is fair and also trying to decide between regular hours or doing the contracted hours thing, one of my families is very regular in when they bring their child and the other varies though...but they are the ones having problems w lateness. I live in a rural area and am not right in town, I am about 10 min from the main part of town but our town kinda has two sides.
Unregistered 08:20 AM 09-09-2011
this is what i am having problems with! I have to step up because my kids are constantly late for practice!!!!!! I get really mad, but then when they show up, I dont say anything! Bok Bok!
Danielle 08:46 AM 09-09-2011
$2 per 15 minutes.
Jenniferdawn 08:26 PM 09-11-2011
I'm starting up a daycare and was wondering too about this whole late issue. If the parents are late and you need to charge them a fee, how do you tell them?do you write a bill out or do you tell them at the end of the week when they are getting ready to pay you? Or something else?
littlemissmuffet 09:48 PM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
I'm starting up a daycare and was wondering too about this whole late issue. If the parents are late and you need to charge them a fee, how do you tell them?do you write a bill out or do you tell them at the end of the week when they are getting ready to pay you? Or something else?

I too charge $1/minute - and they are to pay it, in full, with cash right then and there. Parent walks in 15 minutes late, I simply say "You're 15 minutes late, you owe me $15 cash..." they sometimes say they don't have it on them, and when I remind them that there will be no daycare for little Johnny in the morning and thereafter until they pay, they miraculously pull out some cash
Christian Mother 09:13 AM 09-12-2011
I charge $5 a hr. No grace period. There are several diff. pick up times so I monitor who's getting picked up and I let them know right there and then. I add up at the end of the week and that is what they pay the following week before drop off. If a parent is only 15min late. They still pay $5 for that hr.
SandeeAR 10:47 AM 09-12-2011
I have no late fee. I CLOSE at 5:30 period. My parents RESPECT that.

I have one parent I work with, maybe once a month, she needs until 6pm. (She works for a doctor and if they are shorthanded, she may have to stay late.) It also helps that her little guy is like an adopted grandson

Other than that, I can't remember in 2 years anyone being late, ever.
Unregistered 07:22 AM 10-09-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
There is a charge of $10.00 every five minutes or portion thereof that you are late picking up your child. Mrs. *******’s Christian Child care closes at 6:15 and as such the late fee will start at 6:15pm (there is no grace period).
Does this mean they need to be out of your driveway by 6:15 or can they arrive at 6:14 and ask you a zillion questions or stall and leave at 6:30 and still be considered not late? I am asking because I am in the process of "fixing" my contract. I have a few families that I think hang around here so they don't have to "parent" their kids until the last minute possible. They arrive at 5:59 (I close at 6) and stay and stay and stay... :-( I have tried having kids in the car ready to go, telling them I need to be somewhere...etc....it's such a tiny little town though that they seem to know my every move and there really isn't anywhere to go!
Thoughts?
momma2girls 12:31 PM 10-09-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I too charge $1/minute - and they are to pay it, in full, with cash right then and there. Parent walks in 15 minutes late, I simply say "You're 15 minutes late, you owe me $15 cash..." they sometimes say they don't have it on them, and when I remind them that there will be no daycare for little Johnny in the morning and thereafter until they pay, they miraculously pull out some cash
this is too funny!! ))
momma2girls 12:32 PM 10-09-2011
I charge $5.00 per 15 min. or any part of 15 min. I do enforce it as well.
Tags:late fee
Reply Up