Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Get It Through DCF's Head That I Need The Schedule In Advance
momofboys 08:52 AM 03-18-2012
I know this had been discussed to death. Please enlighten me! I have a DCF & the mom is a nurse. She works 3-4 days/week (12 hr shifts). Some of her shifts occur on the weekend so typically I have her kids 2-3 days/week. She receives her schedule for 6 week timeframes in advance. The problem I am having is she does not get it to me in a fast enough timeframe. I now have her scheudle through the end of this week (through March 24th) but I really need to schedule some appts for myself & HAVE to have her schedule to do this. I have another family beginning in 2 weeks. Their schedule is consistent but the 1st DCFs is obviously not so it's essential that I know their schedule in order to make any plans outside of daycare life. I don't see the mom every week b/c she leaves for work early & since she works 12 hr shifts DCD drops off & picks up. I do communicate with her by phone. Thurs I left her a message telling her I needed her new schedule so I could make appts but here it is Sunday & she has yet to call me back. How can I get it through her skull to give it to me quicker?
cheerfuldom 10:47 AM 03-18-2012
Write her a letter letting her know exactly when and how you want the schedule. If she is not able to abide by this, you will terminate immediately. OR you can attach fees for each day her schedule is late.
Angelwings36 10:55 AM 03-18-2012
For all irregular part time schedule I require all schedules be submitted to me by no later than the 15th of the month prior to care. If I do not receive the schedule by this time I do not guarantee I can take the children on all days that the parent needs care. Parents have to give me a guaranteed number of days per month they need care and they pay for this number of days regardless if their child attends or not.

As suggested above I would write a letter to the dcm stating that you need her schedule by x date each month or by x day each week (whatever works for you) and if her schedule is not received by this time you can not guarantee a space will be available for her children on each day that she needs care.

Then follow through with it. If dcm is late submitting her schedule chose at least one day that you don't provide care for this family during that time frame (even if you have the space). Once dcm realizes you mean business she will pick up her slack!
saved4always 11:39 AM 03-18-2012
I would call her again today and either tell her or leave a message if she does not answer, saying again that you have some appointments to make for your family that you will be calling to make tomorrow at x:xx a.m. If she wants you to take her work schedule into consideration when making your appointments, she will need to get her schedule to you before that. If she does not get it to you before then, you will not be able to care for her child if she needs you on one of you appointment dates. If you have her email address, I would also email this to her.

I used to have a family whose schedule changed every week because the father's days off varied. I tried to make appointments when I would "guess" the kids might not be here, but I was not always successful. I would email my appointments to them and just let them know I was not available on that day.
melskids 03:41 PM 03-18-2012
I schedule my appointments when it is convenient for ME. I give them a few weeks notice, and then put it back on them to make their own arrangements.
momofboys 04:52 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I would call her again today and either tell her or leave a message if she does not answer, saying again that you have some appointments to make for your family that you will be calling to make tomorrow at x:xx a.m. If she wants you to take her work schedule into consideration when making your appointments, she will need to get her schedule to you before that. If she does not get it to you before then, you will not be able to care for her child if she needs you on one of you appointment dates. If you have her email address, I would also email this to her.

I used to have a family whose schedule changed every week because the father's days off varied. I tried to make appointments when I would "guess" the kids might not be here, but I was not always successful. I would email my appointments to them and just let them know I was not available on that day.
Thanks everyone for your insight! I have not heard back from DCM (I called her Thurs am) & DCD DID NOT have a schedule in-hand this morning at drop-off. I didn't even bother asking him b/c I feel as if it's DCMs job to get it to him to give to me or her responsibility to contact me. She had all weekend & she did not work. I just hate having to beg for the schedule. I plan on doing what Saved4always said above. I am going to call DCM this morning & let her know I have to have the schedule by tomorrow morning as I will be calling to make appts. If I don't have it in-hand by then I will make appts at my discretion & if it happens to coincide with a day they need care I won't be available for them.
melissa ann 04:53 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I schedule my appointments when it is convenient for ME. I give them a few weeks notice, and then put it back on them to make their own arrangements.

That's what I did. My families were full time with the exception of 1. I tried to give at least a 3 week notice and for most appts that's doable.

To OP, if mom doesn't give you her schedule, than just make your appts. If she needs care on any of those days, well too bad. Some parents just need to be inconvienced before they get why we need schedules in advanced.
momofboys 05:01 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by melissa ann:

That's what I did. My families were full time with the exception of 1. I tried to give at least a 3 week notice and for most appts that's doable.

To OP, if mom doesn't give you her schedule, than just make your appts. If she needs care on any of those days, well too bad. Some parents just need to be inconvienced before they get why we need schedules in advanced.
I agree. The thing is I am trying to NOT inconvenience them - I usually have at least 1 day during the work week that I have no one in care - & that should be the case even when my second family starts next week. So I am doing this for their advantage, trying to compare their schedule with the other family's schedule to pick days I have no one in care. It's frustrating that I am trying to HELP them & they just don't care. The funny part is I have dealt w/this family with this before (mostly them trying to change or add days with very short notice) & they did realize that I DO make plans for my days off & I would not be available for them but it doesn't seem to help them get the schedule to me any sooner. Live & learn I guess.
familyschoolcare 06:34 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I agree. The thing is I am trying to NOT inconvenience them - I usually have at least 1 day during the work week that I have no one in care - & that should be the case even when my second family starts next week. So I am doing this for their advantage, trying to compare their schedule with the other family's schedule to pick days I have no one in care. It's frustrating that I am trying to HELP them & they just don't care. The funny part is I have dealt w/this family with this before (mostly them trying to change or add days with very short notice) & they did realize that I DO make plans for my days off & I would not be available for them but it doesn't seem to help them get the schedule to me any sooner. Live & learn I guess.
Do the parents only pay for the days they use. If so maybe you could say if you do not have the schegule by XX then you will asume they need 5 days that week, and they will be responsible for paying for all five days.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 03-19-2012
I schedule things when convenient for me also.

I have a provider friend who has a policy about schedules needing to be in by the first of each month for the upcoming month. If her families do not give her a schedule by the deadline she charges them a higher rate. I think her normal rate is $25 per day but if your schedule is late the rate is $30 per day.

Works like a charm for her and it sure makes the families suddenly able to get their schedules in on time!
daycare 09:02 AM 03-19-2012
When i used to do things how you are doing them way back in my day, I required all families to have their schedules turned in on each friday along with payment, in advance for the following week.

If you did not have your money and schedule and money to me by closing time, then you were not guaranteed a spot. Just like the above poster, if you gave me your schedule after that up until Sunday night, the rate went up.

No schedule Sunday night, NO daycare the next day or for the rest of the week.
YOu could do drop in, but the fee was $15.00 more per day...
I actually only had to do it once, but I stopped offering that schedule because it was too much work on me. NOw it's FT or PT only...
Ariana 09:14 AM 03-19-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Exactly this. Once she becomes more inconvenienced because you went ahead and made appointments without her schedule she'll likely get it to you faster.
Reply Up