Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 9mth Old Refusing Bottle
kitkat 01:08 PM 09-13-2013
New 9mth old is refusing bottle. She uses Plaxtex nurser drop in system with breast milk. I know she will take a bottle because she was in care before. She screamed bloody murder when I tried to feed her today. She happily took the baby food, but not a bottle or sippy cup. She just started not nursing during the night so dcm thought she might not be hungry at the usual time, so I tried pushing it back, but no luck. She took the bottle ok on Monday, not great, but we got through 5oz both times. She's only with me Mondays and Fridays and is with a relative Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Thoughts or suggestions?
lovemylife 01:15 PM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by kitkat:
New 9mth old is refusing bottle. She uses Plaxtex nurser drop in system with breast milk. I know she will take a bottle because she was in care before. She screamed bloody murder when I tried to feed her today. She happily took the baby food, but not a bottle or sippy cup. She just started not nursing during the night so dcm thought she might not be hungry at the usual time, so I tried pushing it back, but no luck. She took the bottle ok on Monday, not great, but we got through 5oz both times. She's only with me Mondays and Fridays and is with a relative Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Thoughts or suggestions?
I have the same thing going on. New 11 month old started this week. Monday she took the breast milk pretty good but the rest of this week she won't drink it. This is her first daycare thou. Mine loves all food and will scream bloody murder until I feed her. Which is about ever 90 minutes! With how much she eats (the same as a 3 year old!) she is very tiny! she still wears 3 month old clothing and size 2 diapers! I will follow and see what other providers suggestions are for you!
Good luck!
cheerfuldom 01:27 PM 09-13-2013
just offer it as much as you can but you cant force a child to eat. the issue is pretty common with babies, especially breast fed babies.
e.j. 04:02 PM 09-13-2013
The first couple of things that come to mind is a possible ear infection or the nipple is too slow. Are either of those a possibility?
Cradle2crayons 04:11 PM 09-13-2013
Did you actually SEE mom feed the baby from e exact same type of bottle??

I require all breastfeeding mom/babies to actually SHOW me the baby drinking from the bottle I will be using prior to starting care.

Many times have I had a mom who said "oh sure they drink from x bottle at home or with dad" but they were full of... Well... You know....

I'd have mom come in and actually feed baby from the playtex bottle YIU are speaking of.

If the baby drinks fine and continues to have issues with YOU feeding him, then ask mom for one of her shirts with her smell on it. That usually works for me.
Lavender 04:48 PM 09-13-2013
I had a little girl start months ago and refused to drink her bottles. She ended up getting so worked up over people trying to make her take it that it became even worse. I decided to try to do every bottle myself treating it gently and positively. I would hold up the bottle and say "do you want some" and not put it towards her until she indicated she did by opening her mouth etc. I would talk to her, sing to her, and otherwise make it a positive experience. She eventually became comfortable with me and started taking her bottles in full. She became very connected to me. The bad part was that she screamed bloody murder when I went on my lunch break LOL.
Tags:bottle issues, won't drink from bottle
Reply Up