Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice - Potentially Awkward
Play Care 05:50 AM 07-12-2014
I have had a golden family for almost 5 years. I currently have their two kids in my care and will be getting the baby in September (the oldest will be in Kindergarden and will come after school) While mom was on maternity leave she found out that she was getting a 20% pay cut but her boss gave her Fridays off to off set this. Apparently other people lost their jobs so she was at least grateful to still be employed. Of course she asked if she kept the kids home on Fridays for sure during the summer but could be for longer....and would I discount???... I've been wanting to take Fridays off during the summer for years and saw my chance. So I said yes.

I just got an email from another family who is looking for PT care in the fall. I said that as of now, I only have Fridays open. She is still interested. I know I need to do what's best for me, but I'm wondering if I should at least mention to my current mom that I'm possibly filling a spot for Fridays. That would only leave me with one open spot that day taking away the option of her sending the boys that day should things at the job go back to normal (or if they decide they can't hack having them every Friday and want to send them even if things are still the same)

This may seem cut and dried to some of you, but this has been a golden family. They the also well connected in our small town. Would you mention something to current clients? Not say anything and interview? Only say something if you sign the new family?
CraftyMom 05:56 AM 07-12-2014
I would talk to them and find out for sure what their plans are as of now. Tell them you have the opportunity to fill the spot. If they are not planning on using Fridays after the summer I would fill the spot. No "I don't knows" or "maybes". Either yes or no on using Fridays once school starts back up. If yes, then they are committed to start paying for it as of xxx date
itlw8 09:51 AM 07-12-2014
I would say I have a family interested in Fridays are you going back to f/t ? I wanted to ask before I filled Fridays. If they say we do not know then they either pay for Friday starting when the other family would want to start of you take the other family give them a few days to decide.
TwinKristi 01:52 PM 07-12-2014
Or if in the future the Golden Fam needs Fridays back you could term the PT since FT trumps PT anyway.
MissLiz610 05:01 PM 07-12-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Or if in the future the Golden Fam needs Fridays back you could term the PT since FT trumps PT anyway.
Yes, I was going to say the same thing. I would still ask current mom what her plans are and explain the situation. But let the new family know that if a full time spot is needed and there are no other openings, they would be bumped.
Meyou 03:32 AM 07-13-2014
I would offer the Fridays to the golden family first and if they still didn't want them I would take the PT family.
daycarediva 07:20 AM 07-13-2014
I always tell families that unless they are paying for the day- it isn't theirs. I would still give golden family the heads up, you are filling the day UNLESS they sign coming back FT in fall (then the $ loss would be worth having Fridays off for Summer to me!)
Play Care 03:40 AM 07-14-2014
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to email the golden mom today to let her know that I have interest in the spot for Fall.

I actually do NOT want to tell the family looking for PT that they could be bumped, or give the golden family that impression either. Maybe it's short sighted, but I kind of want families to get the heads up that if they want to move to PT and only pay for certain days, the other days are not going to be held for them in hopes they change their minds, KWIM?
daycarediva 04:29 AM 07-14-2014
I tell my families that. I keep my schedule by the front door, so it's a quick point to say "this is what you contracted and pay for. Nothing else is available."
CraftyMom 04:33 AM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to email the golden mom today to let her know that I have interest in the spot for Fall.

I actually do NOT want to tell the family looking for PT that they could be bumped, or give the golden family that impression either. Maybe it's short sighted, but I kind of want families to get the heads up that if they want to move to PT and only pay for certain days, the other days are not going to be held for them in hopes they change their minds, KWIM?
I was thinking that too. The golden family might not use Fridays now then change their mind in a month and you'd have to bump the pt child. Which isn't fair to the pt because golden can't make up their mind.
Crazy8 09:25 AM 07-14-2014
I agree with others, I would let the golden family know you have the option of filling the fridays but you wanted to give her the option of going back to full time first. Since you wanted the time off for summers anyway I would even let her keep fridays off till Sept 1st but then she needs to go back to paying for full time even if she doesn't need to use it at that point. If she says no she doesn't need/want the fridays back then I would go ahead and interview the new client and I would not give golden family any idea that they would trump the new client months down the road if/when they decide they want fridays again.
Reply Up