Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I the Only Pinterest Fail?? :)
Josiegirl 03:27 AM 12-02-2015
We made the applesauce-cinnamon ornaments yesterday. As they're drying, they're also cracking.
We started the fingerprint reindeer on the Christmas balls, cute idea but the paint is smooshing all over so they don't look like thumbprints. So far we've got 1 ball that looks 'ok' enough to continue.
I feel like the epitome of pinterest fail.

And do NOT get me started on fail-proof fudge.
childcaremom 04:36 AM 12-02-2015
I'm a pinner-not-doer.

I think that makes me more of a pinterest fail.

Seriously, children don't care. Neither do parents. I still hang all the ornaments on the tree. Even the egg carton spider. I am not sure what it was supposed to be but that's what it looks like! It always has a place of pride right in the centre of the tree.
midaycare 06:20 AM 12-02-2015
I have some epic fails. I'm not naturally crafty but do well with directions. When I try a pin and the directions aren't clear enough for my brain, bad things happen.
Play Care 09:17 AM 12-02-2015
I've had a couple, but when I pin something I also read through the comments. IME, that's where you get the real low down on if the craft/recipe works as written.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 12-02-2015
I also google the craft, search through related pins and comments before attempting anything.

Did you use washable paint? I did the snowman fingerprint ornaments two years ago I think. They came out cute. I had to use permanent tempera paint, I had to paint it on the kids fingers so it was jussttt coated instead of having them put their fingers in paint, then we waited a few seconds so it was almost tacky (we counted to 10 slowly) and then I pressed their fingers down.

So far no major fails, but I keep it SUPER simple
daycarediva 09:43 AM 12-02-2015
We did these today:

http://hello-homebody.com/2013/12/20...mas-ornaments/

SO cheap and SO simple. They came out super cute. After reading tons of comments and few blogs about them, I got sugar free mints (didn't burn as quickly), I also got the stuff to coat them with, we sprayed the ornaments with cooking spray, too, and we waited until they were JUST cooling off to make the holes for the ribbons, and we sprayed the toothpicks I used to make the holes, too.

^ all advice from reading the comments.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 12-02-2015
No Josie you are not the only Pinterest fail...they have a whole site devoted just to fails...

They are actually pretty funny!
http://pinterestfail.com/

Here's another one... too funny!
http://justsomething.co/the-34-most-...st-fails-ever/
Josiegirl 09:58 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I also google the craft, search through related pins and comments before attempting anything.

Did you use washable paint? I did the snowman fingerprint ornaments two years ago I think. They came out cute. I had to use permanent tempera paint, I had to paint it on the kids fingers so it was jussttt coated instead of having them put their fingers in paint, then we waited a few seconds so it was almost tacky (we counted to 10 slowly) and then I pressed their fingers down.

So far no major fails, but I keep it SUPER simple

Since I only had 2 dcgs this a.m. I tried the snowmen family using handprints on ornaments instead. They're coming out a bit better, go figure. Although it did take me 5 tries to get one of them so they'd look like snowmen at all.
I use regular acrylic paint but I'm thinking it might have been that 1 little bottle we were trying to use for thumbprints, it just didn't seem like all the other acrylic paints we've used in the past, maybe old or something, I don't know.
I'm just inept I guess.

Too funny BC!
Ariana 10:19 AM 12-02-2015
OMG!!!! I am THE Biggest Pinterest failer ever. You cannot take away my title

I loathe Pinterest with everything I have. They make it look so simple. They lie.
Annalee 10:20 AM 12-02-2015
Some of my pinterest looks great, then some looks not so great......so I think it just depends sometimes on the idea, the day, the materials, the kids, etc...but the process, generally, is still fun!
DaveA 10:33 AM 12-02-2015
I've only been on a few times. I'm not a big fan. To me Pinterest is the online version of that really bad craft book in the public library- everything looks great without being to good at explaining HOW to get there.

I know some blacksmiths who do a great deal of stuff on there, but for every success there is an equal & opposite post that makes you go
Annalee 10:36 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I've only been on a few times. I'm not a big fan. To me Pinterest is the online version of that really bad craft book in the public library- everything looks great without being to good at explaining HOW to get there.

I know some blacksmiths who do a great deal of stuff on there, but for every success there is an equal & opposite post that makes you go
Dave, Off the subject, my brother and his son along with my two sons are headed to saline creek lodge to do some hunting this week. I noticed your state listed as Illinois? They were so excited when they left early this morning.
DaveA 10:43 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Dave, Off the subject, my brother and his son along with my two sons are headed to saline creek lodge to do some hunting this week. I noticed your state listed as Illinois? They were so excited when they left early this morning.
Yep- that's south of us (I'm in Sangamon). Saline/ Hamilton Counties have a great reputation for great whitetail hunting as does Pike & Adams counties to my west.
childcaremom 10:56 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No Josie you are not the only Pinterest fail...they have a whole site devoted just to fails...

They are actually pretty funny!
http://pinterestfail.com/

Here's another one... too funny!
http://justsomething.co/the-34-most-...st-fails-ever/
Omg, the hedgehog! Dying!

eta: What!!!! did they use for Beiber's teeth?

Wait.... it's ground beef and bacon hair? What the what?
Thriftylady 12:36 PM 12-02-2015
I hate it when I act for advice and people say to look there. Only because just looking at the site makes me feel like a failure.
Baby Beluga 02:04 PM 12-02-2015
I love pinterest for inspiration - but I am crafty by nature.
mom2many 07:31 AM 12-03-2015
Pinterest is my go to for daycare crafts/activities, my event planning business, recipes, etc... I could go on and on!

I do find some directions both lacking and vaugue, so I will research carefully before attempting some crafts that I've never attempted.

Awhile back, I was doing a baby shower and wanted to paint the inside of mason jars, but needed to put water in them to use as vases. I found a permanent glass paint at Michaels and ended up not following the original instructions I found in order to get the results I wanted. Sometimes, it means trial and error, but I love the inspiration I get from this site!!!! Nothing beats it!
Tags:pinterest
Reply Up