Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Just Let Them Cry All Through Nap Time...HELP
Miss Lindsey 12:11 PM 05-19-2011
I have 2 babies that are NOT good nappers. I have them both in seperate bedrooms and turn on the attic fan to keep white noise going. One, will scream for the whole 2 hours of nap time if I let him. I have tried rocking him to sleep first, but he wakes up the minute I put him down. He sleeps great in his car seat, but he's 13 months old...and that's not gonna work. If he didn't scream the whole time, I wouldn't care, but he's waking up the other kids...including my other light sleeper.
I sent mom a message (dad is the one who drops off and picks up) asking what nap time is like at home, and letting her know how it's going here. I just get so frustrated that I can't get him to nap, which in turns means 2 of the other 3 don't nap either...and that makes for a cranky and miserable afternoon.

He has only become a bad napper for the last month, so I don't want to start any bad habits. I'm assuming it's just separation anxiety, but I don't know whether I should help soothe him, or just let him figure out how to sooth himself to sleep.
wdmmom 12:15 PM 05-19-2011
How long have you been watching him?

The best thing you can do is repetition. Do the same thing everyday when it comes to naptime. Make the room dark. At 13 months, he should be able to "get it" within 2 weeks if you are doing the same thing everyday. He needs to sleep.

I'd also move him as far away from the other kids to nap until he does "get it."

P.S. What did mom say naptime was like at home? Is child full time or part time?
Miss Lindsey 12:19 PM 05-19-2011
I havent gotten a reply from Mom yet. He is only here Wed and Thurs. But it's a long day...8-6, so he definitely needs at least the one nap! I've had him since he was 6 months old, and he napped in his car seat until about 9 months (due to reflux), then I moved him to a pack n play, and he does fine as long as I have him ALMOST asleep first. But now...even if I have him DEAD asleep in my arms....he wakes right up the second I lay him down. This just started a month ago.

I plan to just let him cry...he lasted 2 hours yesterday, and 1.5 today...but then we start all over again next week.
Hoping he adjusts quickly! It's so hard to be a patient "second momma" when there's NO breaks!
wdmmom 01:04 PM 05-19-2011
If he's only part time and he's only 13 months, you're fighting a losing battle. The only way to get the kid in routine is to have him there full time.

I had the same problem once. Luckily the parents moved him to full time. If they wouldn't have, I would have terminated. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for sanity! I'd rather be happy and broke than unhappy with a pocket full of change.
momma2girls 01:14 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If he's only part time and he's only 13 months, you're fighting a losing battle. The only way to get the kid in routine is to have him there full time.

I had the same problem once. Luckily the parents moved him to full time. If they wouldn't have, I would have terminated. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for sanity! I'd rather be happy and broke than unhappy with a pocket full of change.
I went thru the very same thing with 2 different daycare children, that I finally had to let go. One was 2 days a week and the other one was three days. It was awful!!! I tried everything I could think of as well. They both had seperation anxiety so bad!
mickey2 01:16 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

I agree! If this were a full time child he would be with you everyday therefore you would be able to "train" him. I used to do part time and on call care when I first started but now I only do full time for this very reason.
Live and Learn 01:40 PM 05-19-2011
If he is only with you two days a week....forget it...you won't be able to undo whatever is happening at home the other five days.

Too bad about his earlier nap routines. It is best to start at 6 months putting a fed, dry, sleepy baby down while still awake. This helps develop good sleep habits.
Tags:crying during naptime
Reply Up