Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Routine between Lunch and Nap
WImom 11:19 AM 07-21-2011
Right now when children are done with lunch I wipes their faces (they do their hands) and then they go to their nap mats to looks at books quietly while everyone else finshes. I use that time for the kids to use the potty, get diaper changes, clean up lunch, etc.

Then once everyone is done and pottied I read two stories and then it's nap.

Lately this routine isn't working. I'm thinking I may have to keep them all at the table and take them all to the potty and stand in line outside the door. Too many kids are talking to each other, 3-4 kids will be standing by the book shelf chatting, or jumping on their mats.

I'm curious what is your routine, how does it work for you? my kids are all 2-4 years old if that helps any (the 3-4's are the ones I'm having the most trouble with). Am I asking too much for them to sit quietly and look at books (I don't mind if they read outloud to themselves as long as they don't get too loud).
familyschoolcare 11:23 AM 07-21-2011
Alright I understand not wanting them to jump on their mats. But what is wrong with them talking to each other as long as they do not disturb the rest of the process?
spud912 11:24 AM 07-21-2011
Once my children are done, I take them to wash their hands and face and let them free play until all children are done. This gives me the time to wash up dishes. Once they are all done, they continue free play while I finish cleaning up (usually all that's left is cleaning one plate and cup and wiping off the table and sweeping). I usually set them up with something specific to play with (Little People, blocks, Puzzles) so there isn't a huge mess to clean up. Then we go to the bathroom one at a time for potty/diaper changes, hand washing (again), and brushing teeth. Afterward, we all go to the nap room together and I read 2 books. Then I tuck them in, kiss them, turn off the lights and leave to turn on the music (I play classical during nap time).
newtodaycare22 11:34 AM 07-21-2011
I have 3-6 year olds and my routine looks very similar to yours. It took the kids a while to adjust to it. Do you have a new group of kids?

We set up our cots before lunch time. They pick 2 books and place them on their cot, so after they finish eating, they just head to their cots. Once everyone is done eating, they have 10 minutes where they can read with their friends (I use this time to clean the kitchen). If they are too loud while others are finishing eating, they lose that special time with friends. They LOVE this time so I rarely have any offenders for that rule.

Afterward, I start calling them to use the bathroom and they have 10 minutes to read on their cot by themselves. This allows their drinks/food to work through their system a bit because eating and then immediately using the bathroom was not proving helpful.

So, 20 minutes after everyone finishes eating, books are put away and eyes are closed. Like I said, it took them about 2 weeks to get this routine down. I used to have the rowdiness about books too, until I made the special treat of reading with friends. You know your kids best though and if this would work.
Unregistered 11:42 AM 07-21-2011
We eat lunch at 11:00; are usually done by 11:30. Unless it appears that someone needs a nap immediately, they have free play, outdoors, if possible, until 12:30 or so.
jojosmommy 11:43 AM 07-21-2011
Could you have them read in the living room where you could see them all until you are done cleaning up and then do the bathroom breaks and read together? I try to excuse my kids 1 at a time from the table while I am cleaning up and some are still finishing so that there isnt a pile up at the bathroom. If its not their turn they read books where I can monitor. Nobody goes to their mats until everyone is ready- including me.
dEHmom 12:05 PM 07-21-2011
my routine is:

everyone eats together and waits for everyone to finish....the oldest kids (5 and 7) are usually done first, and if they ask politely if they may leave the table, I give them permission to put their dishes away, go and wash their hands and faces and then they have freeplay until everyone is done.

Then it's outside time for however long is left before nap. After outside they wash their hands and faces, and the younger ones have a nap. Older ones (my own kids) get free play because they do not nap. OR they lay down and watch a movie so I can clean up.
CheekyChick 12:10 PM 07-21-2011
After lunch, we bring the children to the playroom and take one at a time to go potty (or be changed) and wash their hands and face. It is basically free play for everyone until their name is called. After everyone is clean and pottied (not sure if that is a word), we put out cots and everyone lies down. When everyone is quiet, we read two or three stories and then play soft music.
WImom 12:17 PM 07-21-2011
Our mats our in our playarea so they can't have free play but I like to use that as quiet time getting ready for nap. I figure it must work since I have 7 kids sleeping 5 minutes after I turn out the lights. I don't have a new group but a bunch of girls that turned three recently so they've become very chatty lately as well as three newly potty trained children so it's taking longer.

I think I will try having them read with a friend. I normally only allow one book off the shelf at a time per kid (I have a few that will hide books under their mats so noone else can have them and some that would take 10 books so this rule eliminated those things).

Right now if they are jumping around or running around they sit in the living room after a warning. Because atleast with my group if one is doing it they all will be.
wdmmom 12:51 PM 07-21-2011
I feed lunch between 1115am and 1130am. The older kids are usually done in 20 minutes. They remain seated at the table until they are washed. Then they are permitted to play or read until everyone is finished. Once the littler kids are done and cleaned up, my assistant reads 2 books while I rinse off plates, dispose of any uneaten food and wipe down highchairs and the table and chairs.

Bedtime here is 1230pm.

Only the babies under 1 year take morning naps and by 1pm, they are all fast asleep.
Meeko 01:01 PM 07-21-2011
While I work on lunch, my son has the children clean up the toys and they put down their nap blankets. Then he has them wash up and sit to the table for lunch.

I am British old school and very big on manners. Nobody leaves the table until we are all done. We talk and practice our good table manners. Then they must ask to be excused before getting down from the table..

My son then reads to the older children while I get diapers changed. I put down the babies and then the older kids go potty and go down for their naps.
Crazy8 04:20 PM 07-21-2011
nap time is right after lunch here. I usually pull their mats out while they are eating (in the same room) and then the first one done is the one who gets cleaned up and goes to the bathroom first. When they are all done they go to their mat and then I get the next one ready. I guess it would be a problem if they didn't all finish lunch within a few minutes of each other but I also won't let a child take forever to eat. If they were getting too crazy while I was getting others cleaned up/pottied, etc. I would have them sit on their mats until everyone was ready but it really isn't a problem time for me, just a very busy time, LOL!
Auntie 04:34 PM 07-21-2011
We used to let them look at books after going potty and washing up. We would have some walking around or getting new books and not staying on their cot so now we just turn on a book that is on cd and they lay and listen to that on their cots.

Sometimes we do not listen to a story and they go to their cots quietly. When lights are off there is no talking. Some will whisper to the person in the same area as them before the lights go off. But for the most part they are really good and stay on their cots and snuggle up and start to nap.
Reply Up