Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on Soothers...
Angelwings36 06:33 AM 02-08-2012
I have a 2 year old girl that still walks around with a soother in her mouth. I think its so gross and so unnecessary. Let me add this dcf is new here and I always wean soothers immediately at 12 months when children start my care. I had my own son weaned off his soother by 7 months. Not only is it gross and unnecessary but she tries to talk around the soother. I feel if she didn't have the darn thing in her mouth she would be talking so much more and so much more clear. I did tell Dcm not to send the soother anymore as we don't need it here, the only time she wants her soother is when she sees it. However, every morning she comes in with this gross soother in her mouth. I have been taking it out and setting it up until the end of the day but I am at the point that I want to just throw it at the mom when she picks up! ha ha Totally kidding here but ykwim??......
SilverSabre25 06:37 AM 02-08-2012
I agree it's gross. You're doing all that you can by putting it up. You could try popping it out of her mouth, handing it to mom with a smile, and saying, "You know, she never uses this during the day, so it might as well stay in the car."
GretasLittleFriends 06:41 AM 02-08-2012
Does she have a bag that is sent back and forth? If so, just put it in the bag when she gets to your place, and forget it. Put it in the bottom of the bag so it doesn't come out right away when mom picks her up. You could always "lose" it too. Have you said anything outright to mom?

I had a little boy that would use one at home. As soon as he got here we put it in his bag. At the end of the day he would go fishing for it when he saw mom. She and I talked about it, and she decided to quit giving it to him at home, and that was the end of it.
countrymom 06:45 AM 02-08-2012
well I had a girl that started with me when she was 1, I got rid of it within 2 weeks. Well she is going to be 3 in 2 weeks, she just got rid of it last week. Seriously, its gross.
Angelwings36 06:48 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Does she have a bag that is sent back and forth? If so, just put it in the bag when she gets to your place, and forget it. Put it in the bottom of the bag so it doesn't come out right away when mom picks her up. You could always "lose" it too. Have you said anything outright to mom?

I had a little boy that would use one at home. As soon as he got here we put it in his bag. At the end of the day he would go fishing for it when he saw mom. She and I talked about it, and she decided to quit giving it to him at home, and that was the end of it.
No bag. I did speak to the mom about it and how I feel she is talking less because of the soother always being in her mouth, or when she does talk you can't understand her. I asked mom not to bring it as well, but that didn't work. Maybe I will "lose" it lol
Unregistered 06:55 AM 02-08-2012
I had a boy in my care who's parent's always had to have a binky for him. He had serious binky mouth. I told them "I do not give pacifiers to children over a year" They brought it every day and every day I threw it in the trash. I thought,certainly they will realize how ridiculous it is when they have to actually go to the store and buy a pacifier for nearly three year old.I probably threw away over 20 pacifiers until they got it.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 02-08-2012
I couldn't care less if a child has a binky/soother or not. But if they do, I have a few rules here.

The binky stays in the cubby until nap time. After nap, the binky goes back into the cubby.

If the child is upset or having big time issues with separating from the binky, they can have it but they must stay in one designated spot with it while using it. When they are done using it, it goes back into the cubby.

I refuse to keep track of one and I also refuse to carry on a conversation with a child who has one in their mouth.

I know that if I take it from them, they are more thna likely just going to get it back the second they head home so I don't wean them from the kids. We just have rules as to how and when they are used.
GretasLittleFriends 07:17 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know that if I take it from them, they are more than likely just going to get it back the second they head home so I don't wean them from the kids. We just have rules as to how and when they are used.
I should clarify this boy I had put it in his bag when he got here, and he took it out when he went home. I think a few weeks of mom seeing that, understanding that he didn't have one at naptime here or at all here, she realized he didn't NEED it, and they quit using it at home.
jojosmommy 07:17 AM 02-08-2012
Take it out with mom there, place it near door (bench/cubbies etc) and tell her she doesn't use it at dc. Do that everyday until she gets it. I wean around 12 mo and parents know that. Have one dck that still uses one at home over a year since weaning here .
kathiemarie 07:24 AM 02-08-2012
I couldn't care less if a child has a binky/soother or not. But if they do, I have a few rules here.

The binky stays in the cubby until nap time. After nap, the binky goes back into the cubby.

If the child is upset or having big time issues with separating from the binky, they can have it but they must stay in one designated spot with it while using it. When they are done using it, it goes back into the cubby.

I refuse to keep track of one and I also refuse to carry on a conversation with a child who has one in their mouth.

I know that if I take it from them, they are more thna likely just going to get it back the second they head home so I don't wean them from the kids. We just have rules as to how and when they are used.
Thhis is how I deal with this to. We are NOT the kids parents we shouldn't worry about what happens outside of care. (Ok if you feel abuse is happening that is one thing.) I think a lot of providers make thier job much harder than it needs to be because they "judge" what happens out side of care. I take great care of the kids 7:30 to 4:30. When they walk out the door I no longer think about them. BTW I have been a provider for 11 years.
mickey2 11:41 AM 02-08-2012
I hate soothers!

The first time I have to bend down to fish it out from under a playpen or a piece of furniture at nap time it is gone. I only have one 11 month old right now who has one. If he throws it out of his pnp just one time it is gone and he will be weaned off of it here!

I have 4 new 12 month old babies returning from previous families once their moms go back to work from maternity leave. One in May, one in September, one in October and one next May.

Every single one of my moms have been told that I don't do soothers so if you give them one wean them off before they start coming.
Childminder 11:53 AM 02-08-2012
No pacifiers here after 6 months. I take them out of the kids mouth and hand them to mom upon entry. Parents wonder why they don't sleep thru the nite? It's cause they keep gettin up to plug them in the middle of the night. I have a 2.5 yr old that started here and cannot bite or chew her food because only the very back four teeth can meet. She either eats "mush" or chokes, literally.
saved4always 12:10 PM 02-08-2012
I try to keep the pacifiers to naptime. I have a dog and it always seems that if a child is going to drop the pacifier on the floor, it will fall into the farthest, hardest to reach corner and ends up full of dog hair...yuck. Or another child will pop it into his/her mouth and of course one of them always has a cold so there is that wonderful sharing of germs. So, I don't wean them from the bink, but I try to only let them have it if they need it at nap. Right now, I only have one child that uses one and it stays in his pnp at all times.
mommacat 09:47 PM 02-10-2012
I have a 1yr old dcg who hands me her binky when she arrives,does'nt use it all day,then will not "allow" dcm to put her jacket on until mom puts the binky in her mouth! Mom is very well trained!
Texasjeepgirl 07:37 AM 02-11-2012

As soon as I saw the title to this thread I knew I would reply...then I read BLACKCAT'S reply...and she said EVERYTHING I was going to say... DITTO... I really don't mind if they have them till they are 12! (ok.. not really 12.. but)... ONLY at naptime... they go in the cubby as soon after the mom goes at the door as possible.. ie... INSTANTLY... my kids get to where they walk in... see me.. walk over and take it out of their own mouth and hand it to me.. they know I will get it out of the cubby for their nap...although 'sometimes' I forget.. and ...then I only go get it if the child is fussy...restless.. and NEEDS IT.. otherwise...they eventually JUST DON'T NEED OR THINK ABOUT IT... until 'the mommy or daddy arrive'....
Tags:infectious disease, pacifier, pacifier - wean off, pacifier issues, soother, unsanitary
Reply Up