Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stop Questioning My Policies!! UGHH
LaLa1923 07:49 AM 12-06-2013
I hate it when I have a that parent keeps questioning my policies!! I seriously don't get it! If you do not like what I have to offer or my polices, you are free to choose another provider.

I hate having to remind parents of a policy I have. Well...one specific parent....anyway, why ask "Is this in the handbook?".

YES, and it was talked about at the interview.

But regardless......does it need to be??
daycarediva 07:57 AM 12-06-2013
I hate it, too. I am actively advertising to replace some of my current families. Not because of the kids, because of their parents!

One brings toys, food and drink EVERY SINGLE DAY and EVERY SINGLE DAY I have to take it away and give it all back to Mom. I send home policy reminders in my newsletters and specifically covered this in Dec newsletter. When I opened the door for them today, there is dcb, stuff in hand and I told Dcm "Oh, looks like you aren't ready for daycare yet. Why don't you go put your things back in the car?" and closed the door.

The Mom was soooo miffed. GOOD.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 12-06-2013
I hear you... I have one that does the same. No matter what the situation, she will ask. and then ask again. and then ask why.

My common response is: "This is covered in your handbook".

Once I was feeling snarky after she questioned me again about something we had already gone over before so I gave her my standard reply. She said, "Well, I don't carry your handbook with me.."

......so I printed off my handbook in tiny print, stapled it together and gave it to her at pick up. I told her it was purse size....JUST FOR HER.

She wasn't sure how to take that.

She doesn't ask as frequently as she used to but she still does it more than anyone else so. *sigh*
littlemissmuffet 08:04 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hear you... I have one that does the same. No matter what the situation, she will ask. and then ask again. and then ask why.

My common response is: "This is covered in your handbook".

Once I was feeling snarky after she questioned me again about something we had already gone over before so I gave her my standard reply. She said, "Well, I don't carry your handbook with me.."

......so I printed off my handbook in tiny print, stapled it together and gave it to her at pick up. I told her it was purse size....JUST FOR HER.

She wasn't sure how to take that.

She doesn't ask as frequently as she used to but she still does it more than anyone else so. *sigh*

I love you!!
harperluu 09:12 AM 12-06-2013
I once termed a family because instead of the mom asking me to clarify a policy, she would have her 4 year old son ask me. As in, "Ask Harper if it's okay that you had a little Tylenol this morning." Or, "Ask Harper if it's okay if you don't have a nap today." She would stand there and wait for her child to ask me. Typically I would interrupt him and address her.

After a few times of this, I wrote a letter explaining some of the policies she had questions about and explained that if she had further questions to call me during naptime to discuss rather than have her child put in this position. Further violations would be grounds for termination.

Needless to say they were termed a few weeks later.
Annalee 09:32 AM 12-06-2013
Originally Posted by harperluu:
I once termed a family because instead of the mom asking me to clarify a policy, she would have her 4 year old son ask me. As in, "Ask Harper if it's okay that you had a little Tylenol this morning." Or, "Ask Harper if it's okay if you don't have a nap today." She would stand there and wait for her child to ask me. Typically I would interrupt him and address her.

After a few times of this, I wrote a letter explaining some of the policies she had questions about and explained that if she had further questions to call me during naptime to discuss rather than have her child put in this position. Further violations would be grounds for termination.

Needless to say they were termed a few weeks later.
Having kids ask me things gets my goat! I also hate when parents actually "read" the handbook but "thought" the handbook was for "the other parents".
LaLa1923 07:24 PM 12-07-2013
It's nice to know I'm not alone!!
Mister Sir Husband 08:27 PM 12-07-2013
I absolutely LOVE blackcats solution..
Sunchimes 05:16 AM 12-08-2013
When they ask why, is anyone else tempted to say "'cause I'm the boss Applesauce."
nannyde 06:52 AM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
When they ask why, is anyone else tempted to say "'cause I'm the boss Applesauce."

Roar
Laurel 07:10 AM 12-08-2013
This reminds me of a time before I did childcare and worked in a doctor's office.

A patient had a balance and would come in like clockwork every single week to make a payment BUT every single week she would question the amount (although it was the same each week), ask about the balance, ask what the charges were for, and on and on. She wasn't nasty but it was like a ritual she did with the bill each week.

I got the feeling that she was just a hard working person who wanted to make sure everything was accurate and maybe a little lonely so this was conversation. Maybe? I just got the feeling it was more than just about the bill because she willingly paid it and wasn't disagreeable. It was just a little weird.

That said, I like Blackcat's solution!

I don't have enough rules to make a handbook but if they would constantly question things I'd wonder if I had too many rules. If I didn't, I'd probably ask them why they keep asking when it is in the handbook. "Sue, I am curious why you keep asking me about my rules. Did you lose your handbook?"

Laurel
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
This reminds me of a time before I did childcare and worked in a doctor's office.

A patient had a balance and would come in like clockwork every single week to make a payment BUT every single week she would question the amount (although it was the same each week), ask about the balance, ask what the charges were for, and on and on. She wasn't nasty but it was like a ritual she did with the bill each week.

I got the feeling that she was just a hard working person who wanted to make sure everything was accurate and maybe a little lonely so this was conversation. Maybe? I just got the feeling it was more than just about the bill because she willingly paid it and wasn't disagreeable. It was just a little weird.

That said, I like Blackcat's solution!

I don't have enough rules to make a handbook but if they would constantly question things I'd wonder if I had too many rules. If I didn't, I'd probably ask them why they keep asking when it is in the handbook. "Sue, I am curious why you keep asking me about my rules. Did you lose your handbook?"

Laurel
I hear what you are saying about the safe keeping of handbooks as well as them possibly being overwhelming with tons of rules as that could very well be the case for some situations.

I'd love to operate without a handbook at all as I am upfront enough to just say what I need to but alot of states, mine being one of them, says I HAVE to have a handbook and must explain how I manage certain things.... Thus making a rather large handbook.

Plus, my handbook is on my website so my questioning parent could just go to the site and read it rather than ask me stuff repeatedly.

Honestly in my parents case, I think she is alot like you customer in your story... I think my DCM is just one of those people always looking for reassurance, inclusion and just conversation. (It just wears on me sometimes when adults are needier than their children so I tend to react like I do.. The tiny handbook )

But your story just made me think that there could be so many "other" reasons that some of these parents ask over and over again.
Angelsj 07:56 AM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I hear what you are saying about the safe keeping of handbooks as well as them possibly being overwhelming with tons of rules as that could very well be the case for some situations.

I'd love to operate without a handbook at all as I am upfront enough to just say what I need to but alot of states, mine being one of them, says I HAVE to have a handbook and must explain how I manage certain things.... Thus making a rather large handbook.
Right? There are so many parents that say to their spouse," You should read her handbook. It covers everything...so thorough." Of course, they then send their child with jelly bagels and stuffed unicorns...lol
Reply Up