Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guess the Diagnosis
BumbleBee 05:50 PM 12-17-2013
7.5 month old girl

Temperature ranging from 99.6 - 102.7 for 6 days

Sounds congested, but no boogs or runny nose

Has a cough-not wet-not consistent.

Not as active as normal

Sleeping a lot

Refusing solids (has been on for 3 months)

Stools normal

Give it your best shot
countrymom 05:56 PM 12-17-2013
bronchitits, RSV, virus (this seems to be happening to alot of infants lately)
Springdaze 06:12 PM 12-17-2013
teething (sorry, couldn't resist!
Lucy 06:13 PM 12-17-2013
Teething
Lucy 06:13 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
teething (sorry, couldn't resist!
Ahhh.... you beat me to it!!!
nannyde 06:17 PM 12-17-2013
Allergic reaction to teething
Shell 06:22 PM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Good one!
Childminder 06:29 PM 12-17-2013
Pneumonia
wdmmom 07:14 PM 12-17-2013
Teething and Tylenol!
daycarediva 07:24 PM 12-17-2013
Seriously? possible ear infection

What parents want you to believe? teething.
preschoolteacher 08:25 PM 12-17-2013
RSV or roseola... if you see a rash break out once that fever goes down.
sahm1225 08:37 PM 12-17-2013
Allergies!!
Ha ha
But seriously I was thinking rsv
BumbleBee 04:41 AM 12-18-2013
And the diagnosis from the doctor is. . . . .

Urinary Tract Infection

Yes, seriously. That's all they found. No flu, no strep, no ear infection, throat fine, lungs clear.

Mom has been calling the dr every day since this started. Finally the dr said to bring her in "just to make sure." Welp, they found a pretty hefty UTI. Poor kid!
MotherNature 05:03 AM 12-18-2013
UTI...weird. I was going to say teething too.
Unregistered 05:03 AM 12-18-2013
A fever with no other symptoms would alert me to a uti
countrymom 05:54 AM 12-18-2013
is she not drinking enough or are they giving her bubble baths. I don't know too many young kids who get uti's
SunnyDay 05:55 AM 12-18-2013
Exactly what doctors are for!!
thetoddlerwhisper 07:11 AM 12-18-2013
oh its just an ear infection and shes been breaking a few teeth. the dr said shes fine. or the doctor says theres nothing wrong. and oops how i did i forget to bring his note in. so sorry ill bring it tomorrow(maybe)
sleepinghart 07:13 AM 12-18-2013
~...Not an expert of course, but if I had to guess, I would definitely say something allergy-related .
sunlight 07:17 AM 12-18-2013
I once had an infant girl with a UTI. She was having fevers on and off. Parents said it was teething, I called the advice nurse and she told me teething doesn't cause fevers. Only infections cause them. So the mom took her in on a Saturday morning to Urgent Care and they diagnosed a UTI. Mom blamed it on dad who would watch the kids on the weekends when she had to work. She said the baby probably sat in a dirty diaper too long and she feels that is what caused it. I took care of that little girl from the time she was 3 months old till now and she is turning 7 in February. That was the only time EVER she has had a UTI.
harperluu 07:20 AM 12-18-2013
UTI's can occur in very young children, and is typically a result of the "valve" (sorry can't think of the word) that controls urine flow to be malformed or not working properly. There is surgery to correct but only in the most severe cases. Sometimes it is developmental and can correct itself as the child's anatomy matures.

Your friendly fact for the day.
littlemissmuffet 08:08 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
is she not drinking enough or are they giving her bubble baths. I don't know too many young kids who get uti's
There are actually quite a few medical reasons that a young child can acquire UTIs. I started with mine as early as 18 months, had surgery at age 3 and still continue to get at least 5 a year and I'm now 30. I am also prone to kidney infections as a result. I've been hospitalized several times for UTIs and the complications they can cause. But you are correct, not drinking enough and bubble baths can create or irritate issues.

The fever, lack of activity, reluctance to eat and being tired are all symptoms I experience with UTIs. The inconsistent non-wet cough and runny nose could be allergies, a cold, etc. It's not uncommon to be ill with two sicknesses at the same time.
Unregistered 09:36 AM 12-18-2013
I don't think UTIs are really that uncommon in kids. I used to get them fairly frequently as a child. I want to say 2-3 times a year. My parents had to stop using bubble bath in my tubs and things like that. They couldn't use scented wipes. The doctor didn't diagnose a specific problem and I still have issues as an adult maybe once a a year.

My own kids have never had any that I know of but honestly I don't even know how my parents figured out that was the problem.

I would have never guessed it from the symptoms you gave.
saved4always 01:01 PM 12-18-2013
Sounds like teething to me. I couldn't resist either.
saved4always 01:01 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

saved4always 01:03 PM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
And the diagnosis from the doctor is. . . . .

Urinary Tract Infection

Yes, seriously. That's all they found. No flu, no strep, no ear infection, throat fine, lungs clear.

Mom has been calling the dr every day since this started. Finally the dr said to bring her in "just to make sure." Welp, they found a pretty hefty UTI. Poor kid!
Hmmm...that is good to know.
Tags:infectious teething, sickness
Reply Up