Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Running in the House
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:49 AM 05-22-2015
I have 5 kids (2) 4yr old (3) 2yr olds. My dd is one of the 4yr olds and she is the only one that doesn't run in the house. I swear I repeat 1000 times a day no running in the house.

I share my daycare space with our livingroom so most of the things are against a wall. I'm thinking I might need to move the bookshelves with toys out into the middle of the room and push them back at the end of the day.

Anyone else share their livingroom with daycare? How do you have it setup? I need some change to help me solve this running problem. One kid was running and fell into my couch. He ended up with a black eye. Thank goodness his mom was here.
DaveA 04:40 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
I share my daycare space with our livingroom so most of the things are against a wall. I'm thinking I might need to move the bookshelves with toys out into the middle of the room and push them back at the end of the day.
That will help. One thing I have done is assign areas if the kids keep running. The kids really don't like me deciding what they're going to play with, so it usually gets the point across pretty quick.
Kabob 04:50 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
That will help. One thing I have done is assign areas if the kids keep running. The kids really don't like me deciding what they're going to play with, so it usually gets the point across pretty quick.
Yep. I do this too. They still run every day the moment they get the chance even with limited space to run. Argh.

I'm also trying out making the older kids go back and practice walking to the next activity instead of running. Often they are running simply to be the first one to wash their hands or get to the table. So much excitement for hand washing.
AmyKidsCo 01:16 PM 05-22-2015
I use my living space also. My main floor is living room, dining room and play room all lined up so the kids used to run from one end of the house to the other. I gated off the living room and only use it for infant naps but they still run from dining room to play room, and it would be stupid to move the dining room table into the walkway. I tell them to pick one room to stay in, and if they continue going back and forth I have them sit at the table with a puzzle or book for a while.
daycare 01:26 PM 05-22-2015
I have mats.... If you can't sit and play nicely then I will get you a mat and the only way you can play on it is to sit.

Also, do you allow for times inside where they can be active?

I found that when I added more active time like, jumping, hopping, dancing and so on during circle time they were less likely to run around in the house.

I also noticed that you said the one kid was running while parent was there.

Is there any way for to block the kids off from coming back into the daycare area?

that is my only thing i don't like about my new place is that I could not create a way to block them off from coming into the daycare....

I miss my old house for that reason alone.....lol
Starburst 04:12 PM 05-22-2015
My CD teachers have said that sometimes reorganizing the area can discourage certain behaviors (usually spaces that are too open apparently encourage running).

Sometimes even changing from saying what you don't want them to do and instead saying what your want them to do can make a difference. After a while of nagging, kids tune out the word "Don't" or "Stop" and just listen to the action you don't want them. I watch a 12 year old with autism (his mentality ranges from age 3-7 depending on skills) and I notice when I say "don't touch" or "stop touching that" when at the store he tries to rebel more and do it. But if I say "Keep your hands to your self", "Hands at your side", Or "hands together" he tends to listen a little better. So if you usually say "No running" or "stop running" try saying "Walk" or "walking feet".
spedmommy4 09:14 PM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Starburst:
My CD teachers have said that sometimes reorganizing the area can discourage certain behaviors (usually spaces that are too open apparently encourage running).

Sometimes even changing from saying what you don't want them to do and instead saying what your want them to do can make a difference. After a while of nagging, kids tune out the word "Don't" or "Stop" and just listen to the action you don't want them. I watch a 12 year old with autism (his mentality ranges from age 3-7 depending on skills) and I notice when I say "don't touch" or "stop touching that" when at the store he tries to rebel more and do it. But if I say "Keep your hands to your self", "Hands at your side", Or "hands together" he tends to listen a little better. So if you usually say "No running" or "stop running" try saying "Walk" or "walking feet".
This is great advice. I use these strategies in my childcare and rarely have problems with running. I actually got to watch my own advice in action the other day. The kids were screaming playfully outside and it doesn't bother me. (and usually my neighbors are all at work) But one neighbor was home the other day and said, "stop yelling" and the kids yelled louder. He repeated himself several times and the kids responded with more shrieks of delight.

After his third impolite request in under two minutes, I said, "quiet voices or we go inside." Instant normal voices from all 7 kids. :-)
Reply Up