Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Deep Sh**
Unregistered 01:29 PM 08-13-2015
I am a new provider and today my assistant (AKA sister) gave a dcg who is allergic to peanuts a peanut butter granola bar. She had one bite and had no visible reaction in the hour and thirty minutes it took for her mom to pick her up. Her mom was livid and shouted at us as soon as she walked in the door. Then she took both of her kids and left. I feel terrible! I really don't know what to do. I just wanted to know if any of you had to deal with this before? If so what did you do and did the parents take legal action against you? Did you get licensing called on you?
Thriftylady 01:34 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a new provider and today my assistant (AKA sister) gave a dcg who is allergic to peanuts a peanut butter granola bar. She had one bite and had no visible reaction in the hour and thirty minutes it took for her mom to pick her up. Her mom was livid and shouted at us as soon as she walked in the door. Then she took both of her kids and left. I feel terrible! I really don't know what to do. I just wanted to know if any of you had to deal with this before? If so what did you do and did the parents take legal action against you? Did you get licensing called on you?
I would count on a visit from licensing. This is no small thing, it could have been deadly in the right circumstances. Why did your assistant not know this child couldn't have peanut butter? I would have pulled my kids also honestly. You could have some legal issues, that depends on the parents. The first thing I would do now to show I was trying to take care of the matter, is fire the assistant effective immediately.
spedmommy4 01:36 PM 08-13-2015
Yes, you could absolutely get a licensing visit. Protocol for allergen exposure is notify the parents, watch for symptoms, administer the child's prescribed epipin if the child has a severe allergic reaction, and call ems. I'm guessing the allergy falls in the mild-moderate range since the child did not suffer a reaction. If she was going to have a reaction, she would have within the first 30 minutes.
jenboo 01:39 PM 08-13-2015
I hope you had mom sign an incident report.
I would call licensing and tell them what happened. I would get all my ducks in a row (signed incident report, your measures for how this will be prevented in the future, etc). Then I would fire your assistant.
spedmommy4 01:44 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would count on a visit from licensing. This is no small thing, it could have been deadly in the right circumstances. Why did your assistant not know this child couldn't have peanut butter? I would have pulled my kids also honestly. You could have some legal issues, that depends on the parents. The first thing I would do now to show I was trying to take care of the matter, is fire the assistant effective immediately.
Successful legal issues are unlikely. No injury=difficult case. My son's physician failed to clean debris from a wound and accidentally stiched him up with the debris in his leg. He had to have surgery to remove it two weeks later. I was lived and our lawyer told us that since our son wasn't injured by the debris (eg: no infection) that there was basically no good case. The parents may still be livid, but the good news is that dcg is completely fine.
Thriftylady 01:47 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Successful legal issues are unlikely. No injury=difficult case. My son's physician failed to clean debris from a wound and accidentally stiched him up with the debris in his leg. He had to have surgery to remove it two weeks later. I was lived and our lawyer told us that since our son wasn't injured by the debris (eg: no infection) that there was basically no good case. The parents may still be livid, but the good news is that dcg is completely fine.
But they could try to sue and some lawyers might take the case. Even if the parents don't win anything, you need to take the steps to show you did take action.
NeedaVaca 01:52 PM 08-13-2015
I'm surprised it took mom an hour and 30 minutes to pick up! Do you have documentation from a Dr noting her allergies? If I took a child with a severe nut allergy I don't think I would even have those food items available in my house for safety.
lblanke 02:32 PM 08-13-2015
I am so glad the child is ok. I have a child with a peanut allergy, so I understand why mom would be worried and upset, even mad. I do not see how there would be grounds for legal action because the child is unharmed. You probably do need to be able to show licensing your "emergency action plan" and how it was followed (i.e., removed allergen, watched for symptoms, called parents, had plan to administer epi and call 911 at first signs of symptoms; steps to reduce chance this happens again and a plan to re-train your assistant)
Unregistered 02:40 PM 08-13-2015
It is both concerning that the child consumed peanuts and that it took 90 minutes for pick up to occur. Start making a plan to ensure a repeat does not occur and to show that you took what happened very seriously. Also have a plan in place to have the child picked up and checked out in a much more timely fashion.
MarinaVanessa 03:05 PM 08-13-2015
I would definitely expect a visit from licensing and probably a citation having to do with safety. I would start making a plan now about how you are going to prevent this issue from happening again in the future. Something like posting a list of children with allergies in your meal prep area and if you can eliminating all peanut products from the daycare kids diets altogether and locking up or storing peanut products in a separate area so that someone doesn't accidentally feed an allergenic food to one of the daycare kids. If you make a plan now and make changes before licensing comes it will show that you are being proactive and will look good on your part.

As far as being sued by the parents I doubt that they will be able to sue for anything unless they took their child to the doctors and they want you to cover medical expenses that their insurance doesn't cover (like copays, any amount their insurance won't cover etc.) and you refuse to pay it. If the DCG wasn't hurt or didn't need medical attention then they will probably only be able to contact licencing. The report to licensing might cost you money if they issue you a citation or if licensing wants to suspend or revoke your license and you need to get an attorney but that's hard to say because it all depends on your state's regulations.
nannyde 03:12 PM 08-13-2015
Do you have a doctor's note saying the kid has a peanut Allergy? Do you know how she was tested?

I can't imagine a parent of a peanut Allergy kid taking 90 minutes to get an adult to your house.

Do you have an epi pen for the kid?

I have been hearing of cases where parents claim a nut allergy and have no documentation of it. They have a relative who has it and don't want their kid to have nuts in case.

I require not only a doctor's note saying the allergy but also documentation of when and how the child was tested. I need a copy of the paperwork for the test and results.
MommyMuffin 03:51 PM 08-13-2015
While I agree that this was a big mistake. At the same time take it seriously but realize, the biggest thing is that the child is OK! There is always a worst mistake that could have been made. Mistakes will happen. If this makes you feel any better my sister is a medical laboratory scientist and she recently misdiagnosed a patient. She told the doctor that the results came back positive for HIV....she read the test wrong and the doctor had to call patient back. She was in big trouble. Again yes a big mistake...you never know if the news could have been so devestating that the patient commit suicide...ect. On the other hand she didn't give misinformation about an immediate blood transfusion and kill someone.
My point being...yes big mistake...BUT it could have been worse.
Thriftylady 04:03 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Do you have a doctor's note saying the kid has a peanut Allergy? Do you know how she was tested?

I can't imagine a parent of a peanut Allergy kid taking 90 minutes to get an adult to your house.

I have been hearing of cases where parents claim a nut allergy and have no documentation of it. They have a relative who has it and don't want their kid to have nuts in case.

I require not only a doctor's note saying the allergy but also documentation of when and how the child was tested. I need a copy of the paperwork for the test and results.
It is in my handbook for doctors note as well. Never thought of asking for test results. I wouldn't take a child with a severe peanut allergy, we use it a lot in our home. But still some allergy could always happen. I know you are in the loop in legal stuff NannyDe, so the question is, is there any legal problem here?
daycarediva 04:07 PM 08-13-2015

I second this.

I have heard of parents claiming gluten free, low carb, dairy allergy----strictly because it's trendy.
Unregistered 05:01 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I second this.

I have heard of parents claiming gluten free, low carb, dairy allergy----strictly because it's trendy.

I don't think a parent would put their kid through deprivation of not being able to have what their peers can have, the exhaustion of reading every label or the expense of one of these dietary restrictions on their budget just to be "trendy". If so, then that is just cruel on the parents' part. As a diagnosed celiac, it really bothers me when people assume diet "trends" in this nature.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 08-13-2015
I don't think a parent would put their kid through deprivation of not being able to have what their peers can have, the exhaustion of reading every label or the expense of one of these dietary restrictions on their budget just to be "trendy". If so, then that is just cruel on the parents' part. As a diagnosed celiac, it really bothers me when people assume diet "trends" in this nature.

*ETA: I am sorry. That was not personal toward the person that made the comment. More to the parents that would actually do that (who aren't reading this anyway, but yeah). Sorry if that seemed personal.

Also, I am glad that the child from the OP is OK!
MarinaVanessa 05:19 PM 08-13-2015
We're not assuming here though. We've had it happen to us, may of us and many times. I have had different parents tell me that their children were allergic to milk, gluten, peanuts and meat. Usually it's parents that prefer a certain type of diet and want me to continue it in my daycare ... which I don't do and clearly say this in my polices. For these four families they all claimed that their child was allergic so when I asked them for a DR's note and a form filled out by the child's Dr. they either don't ever furnish one or then they say that there isn't actually an official diagnosis but they don't want me giving these to their child.

I've also recently had a parent tell me that their child was allergic to vaccines in order to prevent having to supply me with vaccination records but when I tried to hand her the form that needed to be filled out by her child's Dr. for vaccination exemption she explained that she just didn't believe in vaccinating her child ... okay that's fine, but I still need that form to be filled out by the Dr. It's a part of my licensing requirements.

There's isn't an assumption, it really does happen.
Thriftylady 05:27 PM 08-13-2015
Yes, this does happen. The DCM I just termed told me a few months ago that she didn't want DCG to have goldfish crackers (I serve them for snack from time to time), when I asked her why she said "I just don't feel she is ready for them". The next sentence was "Oh and she drinks kool aid now". I told her I didn't serve it and she got mad and said "well what if it is the sugar free kind?". I told her no because it isn't a need for her diet and she asked "can you do it just for her?". Nope. A LOT of parents just want special. But ask them to pay for it or prove they need it and suddenly the don't need it anymore.

ETA: many of these parents won't read every label and most of them won't pay for the diet restriction foods, but they want us to do it. IF we do it, then we start hearing that the kids had a happy meal from McDonalds last night, and pizza hut the night before that at home. They want us to feed "special" so they feel better about not feeding well at home.
Unregistered 05:28 PM 08-13-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
We're not assuming here though. We've had it happen to us, may of us and many times. I have had different parents tell me that their children were allergic to milk, gluten, peanuts and meat. Usually it's parents that prefer a certain type of diet and want me to continue it in my daycare ... which I don't do and clearly say this in my polices. For these four families they all claimed that their child was allergic so when I asked them for a DR's note and a form filled out by the child's Dr. they either don't ever furnish one or then they say that there isn't actually an official diagnosis but they don't want me giving these to their child.

I've also recently had a parent tell me that their child was allergic to vaccines in order to prevent having to supply me with vaccination records but when I tried to hand her the form that needed to be filled out by her child's Dr. for vaccination exemption she explained that she just didn't believe in vaccinating her child ... okay that's fine, but I still need that form to be filled out by the Dr. It's a part of my licensing requirements.

Thank you for clarifying. I haven't encountered parents doing this (yet) but I will ask for Dr. varification if I ever do (which I am not sure I would have done, had this conversation not happened) so my future self thanks you =)

Again, I apologize if any of that was misdirected. I think it was just me jumping the gun with my unrelated frustration of those that do choose to be "trendy" for whatever reason- whether them or their children- and not realizing that it ("it" being unverified allergies/trend/however to word it) was a common thing in the daycare community.
Thriftylady 05:32 PM 08-13-2015
Thank you for clarifying. I haven't encountered parents doing this (yet) but I will ask for Dr. varification if I ever do (which I am not sure I would have done, had this conversation not happened) so my future self thanks you =)

Again, I apologize if any of that was misdirected. I think it was just me jumping the gun with my unrelated frustration of those that do choose to be "trendy" for whatever reason- whether them or their children- and not realizing that it ("it" being unverified allergies/trend/however to word it) was a common thing in the daycare community.
OH and I want to add I just had an appt. with a new doctor this week. I was worried about having celiac, because I read online that many of the symptoms are the same as fibromyalgia and I have been diagnosed with that. I hated that idea, I love my carbs to much lol. They told me that I don't have it since I don't have vomiting and severe cramps. I was so happy.
Unregistered 05:41 PM 08-13-2015
OH and I want to add I just had an appt. with a new doctor this week. I was worried about having celiac, because I read online that many of the symptoms are the same as fibromyalgia and I have been diagnosed with that. I hated that idea, I love my carbs to much lol. They told me that I don't have it since I don't have vomiting and severe cramps. I was so happy.
My sister has Fibro. You have my sympathies there, I know it's not easy! But on the flip side, will you have some General Tso for me? ;-)
Unregistered 05:50 PM 08-13-2015
Oh it happens lol.. Like the one child who was 'allergic to peanuts' all year and then brought in a standard Von's cake off the shelf for the birthday celebration.. @@ after I read every label for 10 months and paid more for every snack item etc
Unregistered 06:18 PM 08-13-2015
The dcg is okay I called her mom and she said she sometimes doesn't have a reaction to things with peanut butter in it. In my state we are required for a parent to submit an emergency action plan for children with allergies or Asthma when they enroll. She never provided me one. He medical papers that her pediatrician signed said she has no allergies. But it was done back in 2014. I don't know if children can suddenly develop allergies but I will take her word for it. I did have an issue with mom telling me that her younger son Asthma symptom is a runny nose; I have never heard of this so on there first day when she brought him in with a runny nose and a cough I let him stay in care because she said it was his asthma acting up. Big mistake! We all got what ever they were caring. My regular assistant is out sick no. That is why my sister had to fill in. She knew dcg's mom said that she had an allergy to peanuts but she didn't know that the bars I bought had peanut butter. We don't give the kids mid day snacks but dcg and her brother are always hungry and her parents won't bring snacks so we usually get them something when we go shopping.
The only reason that I had the bars inside my house is because I accidentally got the wrong ones from the store. I realized it immediately but thought it was OK because they are not meant for the daycare kids consumption and my daycare is in the basement. Also the mom brought her sibling a pb&j sandwich for lunch. Dcg hands were all over it trying to force feed he younger sibling (she is 5 and he is 2). Mom said it was fine and she had no reaction even when she took a chip that was on the side and eat it. I will call my rep tomorrow. Thanks ladies for all of your help!
MarinaVanessa 06:30 PM 08-13-2015

No worries at all. I hope you don't have this experience, parents aren't necessarily wrong for wanting this for their children ... it's just most often when these are asked of us we don't provide this in our own programs. Many of us don't mind making accommodations for real allergies but when we start doing this for every family it becomes more difficult for us. Parents can always keep looking for another child care programs that are willing to make these accommodations and I for one have no hard feelings, I just don't want someone telling me to change how I choose to run my business KWIM?

Just wait until you've been doing daycare for like 10+ years and you'll have funny stories of your own. Prepare for the "dope and drop". That's when the child gets dropped off in the morning and around noonish they suddenly get a fever. Typically this means that they got a fever and a parent gave them medicine to still be able to drop their kid off at daycare which wears off around mid-day.
Thriftylady 07:20 PM 08-13-2015
The dcg is okay I called her mom and she said she sometimes doesn't have a reaction to things with peanut butter in it. In my state we are required for a parent to submit an emergency action plan for children with allergies or Asthma when they enroll. She never provided me one. He medical papers that her pediatrician signed said she has no allergies. But it was done back in 2014. I don't know if children can suddenly develop allergies but I will take her word for it. I did have an issue with mom telling me that her younger son Asthma symptom is a runny nose; I have never heard of this so on there first day when she brought him in with a runny nose and a cough I let him stay in care because she said it was his asthma acting up. Big mistake! We all got what ever they were caring. My regular assistant is out sick no. That is why my sister had to fill in. She knew dcg's mom said that she had an allergy to peanuts but she didn't know that the bars I bought had peanut butter. We don't give the kids mid day snacks but dcg and her brother are always hungry and her parents won't bring snacks so we usually get them something when we go shopping.
The only reason that I had the bars inside my house is because I accidentally got the wrong ones from the store. I realized it immediately but thought it was OK because they are not meant for the daycare kids consumption and my daycare is in the basement. Also the mom brought her sibling a pb&j sandwich for lunch. Dcg hands were all over it trying to force feed he younger sibling (she is 5 and he is 2). Mom said it was fine and she had no reaction even when she took a chip that was on the side and eat it. I will call my rep tomorrow. Thanks ladies for all of your help!
HMM I am guessing then there was no allergy. If you have paperwork showing no allergies then you are protected IMO. Yes, allergies can develop suddenly. My ex had a penicillin allergy after having had it for years, however if a parent claims an allergy you need documentation. IF the child had suddenly developed and allergy, it wouldn't be a once in awhile reaction, it would be every time likely getting worse with each exposure. IF this family comes back, require the documentation from the doctor BEFORE care continues. The smoking gun to me is one child being given peanut butter. A parent with a child who is severely allergic wouldn't chance that in most cases, it would be a peanut free home. The amount of time for pick up also makes it suspect.

With all that, make sure your assistant does not serve anything without your approval or that is not on the "safe list" for your daycare. In fact if I had an assistant, I would be planning the meals and snacks it would only be their job to serve them. Make a written plan of action that includes retraining the assistant or changing how meals and snacks are planned (eg... written menus).

If this DCM can't provide written proof of allergy, I would term.
forthekids 10:04 PM 08-13-2015
In addition to the typical responses of being sorry, We would require a note from the doctor stating the child was ok to return. This would confirm the parent took the child to the doctor and that the child does indeed have an allergy. Parents today make a lot of conclusions about their children's health based on researching the internet without verification from a physician. Also, children in our care that have special dietary requirements must bring their own food and snacks.
Play Care 04:26 AM 08-14-2015
What?!
I would TERM.
This mom has LIED to you. She YELLED at you over her LIE.
In addition, she's claiming allergy but you don't have any state required paperwork on it?!
The kids sound like handfuls (no child should be touching another child's food, even if they are siblings and certainly shouldn't be putting food in another child's mouth - choking hazard) and I can imagine the apples didn't fall far from the tree.
nannyde 04:47 AM 08-14-2015
None of this makes sense. You need to REQUIRE doctor's notes for both kids before they return.

I can't imagine a parent of a peanut Allergy kid giving peanut butter to the sibling. Why even have that in your home?

I think she is lying about both diagnoses.
Stephnrich 05:19 AM 08-14-2015
Parents definitely do that, though. I have two kids who do not have a dairy allergy, but their parents think cow's milk is not healthy and want me to serve almond milk. They got a waiver from their doctor so I will.
Blackcat31 05:28 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Stephnrich:
Parents definitely do that, though. I have two kids who do not have a dairy allergy, but their parents think cow's milk is not healthy and want me to serve almond milk. They got a waiver from their doctor so I will.
Are you on a food program?

IIRC, almond milk can not be substituted for cow's milk.
You can substitute with soy milk without a Dr's statement.

If you are on a food program, the Dr needs to list a substitute that meets the same dietary equivalent to cow's milk and like I said I don't "think" almond milk is acceptable.
LysesKids 05:50 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Stephnrich:
Almond milk won't work if you are on the food program - I tried for 2 of my allergy kids.... one of which also has a soy allergy (both have Dr's notes). That and other issues have made me drop out and just do my thing... I just claim the $ as a deduction on taxes
Heidi 06:42 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If you are on a food program, the Dr needs to list a substitute that meets the same dietary equivalent to cow's milk and like I said I don't "think" almond milk is acceptable.
Here's our annual training (sorry, it's 9 pages, look on page 4 if you're interested). It says another substitute (other than Soy), only with a doctor's note.
http://www.4-c.org/images/stories/20...Assignment.pdf

Once again, though, I think different FP's interpret things differently, so maybe you got other information from yours.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Here's our annual training (sorry, it's 9 pages, look on page 4 if you're interested). It says another substitute (other than Soy), only with a doctor's note.
http://www.4-c.org/images/stories/20...Assignment.pdf

Once again, though, I think different FP's interpret things differently, so maybe you got other information from yours.
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean?

Aren't we saying the same thing?
CraftyMom 07:24 AM 08-14-2015
The bold part above. I don't know your state laws. Is your sister an authorized assistant? If not that's where I see a big issue with licensing. Here I couldn't have someone just fill in unless they were cleared by licensing

I also think there is no real allergy or it would be on the dr form and mom would be sure you had an epi pen. She also would have FLEW there, not take 90 minutes to get there.
Leigh 07:35 AM 08-14-2015

Not arguing here, just letting you know my situation:

Rice milk is also not nutritionally equivalent, but I do have a kid on rice milk who has milk allergy, and because of the prescription, the food program allows it. For some reason, his doctor doesn't want him using soy milk, though the same doctor has this child's sister using soy. I can only substitute Silk brand or 8th Continent brand soy milk, because the others available in my area are not nutritional equivalents.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 08-14-2015
She is a planed sub and was approved by my state office of licensing. Dcd dropped kids off this morning without a word. I will talk to mom in the afternoon about getting me some documentation.
Sugaree 07:43 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Rice milk is also not nutritionally equivalent, but I do have a kid on rice milk who has milk allergy, and because of the prescription, the food program allows it. For some reason, his doctor doesn't want him using soy milk, though the same doctor has this child's sister using soy. I can only substitute Silk brand or 8th Continent brand soy milk, because the others available in my area are not nutritional equivalents.

There are some studies that excess soy in children, especially boys, can cause hormonal problems because soy is a phyto-estrogen. That would explain why the doctor would prefer that a boy not drink it, but okay it for the sister.

ETA: For the record, a lot of other studies that contradict the aforementioned studies. I don't think it's as a big of a deal as people think. Just wanted to clarify.
daycare 07:51 AM 08-14-2015
I cal Bologna...............

I have had children with mild peanut allergies in my care and even those kids had to carry epi pens with full doctors treatment plan. Not because their parents said so, because I said so and it is what I require.

Not to be rude, but I do think that there is where it all started to go wrong. You should have required the proper documentation with diagnosis from the doctor, and life saving medication before even providing care for this child. The brother has asthma? Same thing, you need a doctors note of diagnosis and treatment plan along with his life saving meds. BOTH of these can end in death.

I was also going to bring up the fact that your sister just filled in for the day, is that something you are allowed to do? In my state I can't just call someone up and have them assist me for the day. There are laws that they have to comply to with the state first.

We all make mistakes, and it stinks when it happens. Hopefully you are able to get through this with no big consequences.

BUT I would demand that the parents get you those meds, treatment plan and diagnosis so that you will know how to properly care for the kids.
I would be telling mom that you need to have this done by xxx date or you will have no choice but to term

she can't ask you to take care of kids that have medical issues and don't have their basic needs of life support should they become ill in your care.
Heidi 07:51 AM 08-14-2015
She is a planed sub and was approved by my state office of licensing. Dcd dropped kids off this morning without a word. I will talk to mom in the afternoon about getting me some documentation.
Good to hear she showed up. Thanks for the update.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Yep, that is what I meant in my post too... I just wasn't sure if Heidi was agreeing or reading my response differently.

The link Heidi posted says "The non-dairy milk substitution must be nutritionally equivalent to milk and meet the nutritional standards for fortification of calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and other nutrients to levels found in cow’s milk, as outlined in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) regulations in order to be part of a reimbursable meal."

...and I think that is true for ALL programs on the food program. I was always under the understanding that the Dr has to list an acceptable substitution if the child can't drink cows milk.

I have had several families requesting almond milk or rice milk and most are usually surprised to find out the substitute isn't equivalent.
daycare 07:52 AM 08-14-2015
yes this is good news~! Phew.
daycare 07:57 AM 08-14-2015
Yep, that is what I meant in my post too... I just wasn't sure if Heidi was agreeing or reading my response differently.

The link Heidi posted says "The non-dairy milk substitution must be nutritionally equivalent to milk and meet the nutritional standards for fortification of calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and other nutrients to levels found in cow’s milk, as outlined in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) regulations in order to be part of a reimbursable meal."

...and I think that is true for ALL programs on the food program. I was always under the understanding that the Dr has to list an acceptable substitution if the child can't drink cows milk.

I have had several families requesting almond milk or rice milk and most are usually surprised to find out the substitute isn't equivalent.
we can't rely on one course for vitamins and nutrients. I don't do any dairy or dairy supplements like soy milk, almond milk, or etc. I eat enough other foods to make up for it and I have it harder than other people who can eat dairy or supplement with like alternatives.

none of my kids drink milk or soy and they don't really eat any other dairy. I got very healthy strong kids..
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
we can't rely on one course for vitamins and nutrients. I don't do any dairy or dairy supplements like soy milk, almond milk, or etc. I eat enough other foods to make up for it and I have it harder than other people who can eat dairy or supplement with like alternatives.

none of my kids drink milk or soy and they don't really eat any other dairy. I got very healthy strong kids..
??? okay, I'm confused now.....

I am not arguing or making a plea for or against cow's milk...

In my original post, I was just pointing out that a program that participates with the USDA CACFP must follow their rules for substituting items in place of cow's milk and that almond milk was not considered by the USDA CACFP as an equivalent substitute.

fwiw ~ I don't drink milk myself (not for any particular reason) but water is pretty much the only liquid I consume.
Thriftylady 08:10 AM 08-14-2015
There is no way that child would be in my house one more hour without the proper documentation. Which you won't get, because there is none in this case.
KidGrind 08:13 AM 08-14-2015

I had a parent tell me their child was recently diagnosed with a lactose intolerance. Then a week later she’s requesting I give the same baby whole milk yogurt.
momofboys 08:18 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Yes, you could absolutely get a licensing visit. Protocol for allergen exposure is notify the parents, watch for symptoms, administer the child's prescribed epipin if the child has a severe allergic reaction, and call ems. I'm guessing the allergy falls in the mild-moderate range since the child did not suffer a reaction. If she was going to have a reaction, she would have within the first 30 minutes.
Not necessarily. I've heard many times it can sometimes be mild & then after more exposures the next reaction could be anaphylactic. Scary stuff!
momofboys 08:22 AM 08-14-2015
As a mom of a child with a nut allergy ITA with this. I would never subject my child to having to avoid food, or make him carry an epi-pen everywhere, or be ultra cautious about every bite he consumes just to be trendy. There is a lot of misunderstanding & misinformation regarding food allergies.
Play Care 08:45 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
As a mom of a child with a nut allergy ITA with this. I would never subject my child to having to avoid food, or make him carry an epi-pen everywhere, or be ultra cautious about every bite he consumes just to be trendy. There is a lot of misunderstanding & misinformation regarding food allergies.
Unfortunately there are some parents who for whatever reasons, claim allergies or sensitives to certain foods. Maybe it's for attention, maybe it because they don't want their child to have that food and think by claiming allergy day care will be more receptive. I dunno. My bff's son has a peanut allergy, when he was diagnosed (over 18 years ago now ) there was hardly any of the awareness there is today. She pioneered the peanut free program at their public school

It ticks me off when parents use allergies as an excuse because it makes people question the validity of allergies (we already see some of that now with people complaing about peanut free flights or schools, etc) My friends son could die if exposed and I doubt it take his mother 90 minutes to pick him up after possible exposure.
If I were the OP I would be terming this parent.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Unfortunately there are some parents who for whatever reasons, claim allergies or sensitives to certain foods. Maybe it's for attention, maybe it because they don't want their child to have that food and think by claiming allergy day care will be more receptive. I dunno. My bff's son has a peanut allergy, when he was diagnosed (over 18 years ago now ) there was hardly any of the awareness there is today. She pioneered the peanut free program at their public school

It ticks me off when parents use allergies as an excuse because it makes people question the validity of allergies (we already see some of that now with people complaing about peanut free flights or schools, etc) My friends son could die if exposed and I doubt it take his mother 90 minutes to pick him up after possible exposure.
If I were the OP I would be terming this parent.
Yes, there are parents that claim things are true in regards to their child that are not.

Most times its the provider they expect to do the hard work or reading labels, preparing separate meals, etc etc.... it's not usually something they will go to extremes to do at home.

Its also a very common way for parents to get "special" attention for their child in group care. NannyDe has a whole section about this type of parent in her book
daycare 09:01 AM 08-14-2015
??? okay, I'm confused now.....

I am not arguing or making a plea for or against cow's milk...

In my original post, I was just pointing out that a program that participates with the USDA CACFP must follow their rules for substituting items in place of cow's milk and that almond milk was not considered by the USDA CACFP as an equivalent substitute.

fwiw ~ I don't drink milk myself (not for any particular reason) but water is pretty much the only liquid I consume.
that makes two of us I am super confused too. But that's not anything new for me, I am always confused... I think i walk around with my finger on my chin saying hmmmm about a million times a day...

Yes, you are right almond milk is not approved because it is not high enough in protein, I belive that it only has like 1-2 grams of protein in it.

Good for you that you are not part of the millk cult..lol
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:02 AM 08-14-2015

I believe rice milk is acceptable.
daycarediva 09:03 AM 08-14-2015

Yup. As soon as I ask for documentation, it becomes a 'lifestyle' choice, not an actual allergy. Completely undermines what people with food allergies deal with.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
What?!
I would TERM.
This mom has LIED to you. She YELLED at you over her LIE.
In addition, she's claiming allergy but you don't have any state required paperwork on it?!
The kids sound like handfuls (no child should be touching another child's food, even if they are siblings and certainly shouldn't be putting food in another child's mouth - choking hazard) and I can imagine the apples didn't fall far from the tree.
YUP! After she was caught in her lie, I would have termed. NO WAY.

None of this makes sense. You need to REQUIRE doctor's notes for both kids before they return.

I can't imagine a parent of a peanut Allergy kid giving peanut butter to the sibling. Why even have that in your home?

I think she is lying about both diagnoses.

auntymimi 09:08 AM 08-14-2015
Yes, this does happen. The DCM I just termed told me a few months ago that she didn't want DCG to have goldfish crackers (I serve them for snack from time to time), when I asked her why she said "I just don't feel she is ready for them". The next sentence was "Oh and she drinks kool aid now". I told her I didn't serve it and she got mad and said "well what if it is the sugar free kind?". I told her no because it isn't a need for her diet and she asked "can you do it just for her?". Nope. A LOT of parents just want special. But ask them to pay for it or prove they need it and suddenly the don't need it anymore.

ETA: many of these parents won't read every label and most of them won't pay for the diet restriction foods, but they want us to do it. IF we do it, then we start hearing that the kids had a happy meal from McDonalds last night, and pizza hut the night before that at home. They want us to feed "special" so they feel better about not feeding well at home.
This has happened to me as well. I had a child on a low sodium diet, which is how we tend to eat anyway, but mom was adamant about knowing what she ate and the milligrams of sodium she ingested in my care. Imagine my surprise when she showed up with leftover nachos and cheese for lunch and a coke.
LittleTikes 09:31 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
This has happened to me as well. I had a child on a low sodium diet, which is how we tend to eat anyway, but mom was adamant about knowing what she ate and the milligrams of sodium she ingested in my care. Imagine my surprise when she showed up with leftover nachos and cheese for lunch and a coke.
We were told in my four-year-old classroom that dcb was "allergic" to things that he just didn't like to eat. He happily explained to us all the ways and forms that he would eat these foods at home. When pressed for the needed documentation, of course dcm had none to give.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I believe rice milk is acceptable.
According to this rice milk is not an acceptable substitute

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 08-14-2015
California has a great link that addresses milk substitutes and other info about milk and what can and cant be served to whom in regards to the food program.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/cc/mbusdacacfp202011.asp
CraftyMom 11:58 AM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
It sounds like this isn't the case here though, but I get what you are saying.

This mom isn't at all vigilant if she is sending her other child with pb&j for lunch and does not supply an epi pen, treatment plan or even a diagnosis
crazydaycarelady 03:56 PM 08-14-2015
This mom is totally blowing smoke. I had a child with a real peanut allergy and if he ingested peanuts (which I witnessed once) he INSTANTLY had a reaction, his throat began to swell, and he would vomited. He also had epi pen. An hour and a half with no reaction = no allergy.
kitykids3 04:40 PM 08-14-2015
I agree, I don't believe there was an actual allergy, esp giving the sibling pb.

I don't know if this is true, but if she never provided some documentation of some kind, from doc, something, I don't see how she could really hold you accountable. There would be no proof that you knew about it since she didn't provide any dx, plan, doc note, epipen, anything.

I would make her bring documentation the very next day she comes or she can be suspended or termed.
lblanke 06:03 PM 08-14-2015
I would not accept a child with a food allergy with no epi pen and no emergency action plan. The whole story doesn't make any sense. Most parents of young children with peanut allergies do not have peanut butter in their homes, and it is hard to imagine why a parent whose child has an IgE mediated peanut allergy would send her other child with peanut butter. People who "pretend" their kids have allergies make it so much harder for others to understand and accommodate those with true allergies. Your mom does not behave in any way like any other allergy mom I have ever known.
Stephnrich 06:14 PM 08-14-2015

I am on the food program. Both doctors' notes say subbing for nut or soy milks are acceptable and have been approved by my food program rep.
Stephnrich 06:15 PM 08-14-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Almond milk won't work if you are on the food program - I tried for 2 of my allergy kids.... one of which also has a soy allergy (both have Dr's notes). That and other issues have made me drop out and just do my thing... I just claim the $ as a deduction on taxes
I'm thinking it must help that I have a very realistic food rep. She approved it, per the doctors' notes.
Stephnrich 06:28 PM 08-14-2015
California has a great link that addresses milk substitutes and other info about milk and what can and cant be served to whom in regards to the food program.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/cc/mbusdacacfp202011.asp
It's interesting how different the requirements are per state or food program. For instance - not like I would!- buttermilk is not an allowable milk here. And flavored milks are only allowed once a week, though I don't serve them.
childcaremom 02:24 AM 08-15-2015
Originally Posted by lblanke:
I would not accept a child with a food allergy with no epi pen and no emergency action plan. The whole story doesn't make any sense. Most parents of young children with peanut allergies do not have peanut butter in their homes, and it is hard to imagine why a parent whose child has an IgE mediated peanut allergy would send her other child with peanut butter. People who "pretend" their kids have allergies make it so much harder for others to understand and accommodate those with true allergies. Your mom does not behave in any way like any other allergy mom I have ever known.

I agree that this whole story is bizarre. I can't believe it took mom90 mins to get there!

I would be asking for documentation, forms, whatever you need to prove that this was an allergy. I would not be taking this child into care until I had that, an epi pen, etc. I would create a deadline.

I would also be seriously considering terming as the dcm has probably lied, put her own child at risk (by sending a pb sandwich in with sibling) and took 90 mins to pick up!
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 08-15-2015
I'm with everybody else on this story, it simply doesn't add up. Have you requested a doctor's form now and has she provided it?

If my child had a peanut allergy I wouldn't be acting like she did.
Daycare Insurance 02:51 PM 08-18-2015
Food allergies or reactions can be common. Keep it mind it still falls under your liability as a child care provider. If you have a child care liability policy, you may not be aware if it covers food preparation. Most child care liability policies cover this, but some do not. Call your insurance provider and see if you have coverage. If so inform them of the incident so they can prepare a file. In the event the parent brings legal action against you, your insurance provider will already be prepared.
Tags:parents - confrontational, peanut allergy
Reply Up